Carlos Winkow is a version of his original name, Carl Winckow. Winkow (1882-1952) was born in Germany but worked in Spain. His typefaces include
- Alcazar (FT Nacional, 1944). An inline 3d titling font.
- Cursiva Rusinal (FT Nacional). This is identical to Reporter except in the alternates.
- Electra (FT Nacional, early 1940s). An almost avant-garde sans family, which includes the ultra thin Estrecha Fina weight. Romeo (Font Bureau) takes some cues from Electra and says that it is a spectacular art deco sanserif with an unusually fine condensed series. See also Casablanca (1997, Steve Jackaman for ITF, now Red Rooster Collection) and Carlos (Jason Castle, CastleType).
- Elzeviriano Ibarra (1931, for Fundicion Tipografica Richard Gans). Lucia Walter revived Winkow's 1931 text typeface Elzeviriano Ibarra in 2011. See also Gans Ibarra (2006, Intellecta Design).
- Gong (1945, Johannes Wagner). A chalk script face. Jaspert mentions the date 1951. A standard non-chalk version of Gong was done by J. Wagner in 1967, and was published as Jowa Script (Jowa Schreibschrift), which in turn provided inspiration for Iova Nova (2007, Ralph M. Unger)
- Grotesca Radio (Richard Gans Foundry), at least according to some sources. For a revival and reinterpretation, see Radar (2019) by Marta Sanchez Marco for Type-o-Tones.
- Iberica (FT Nacional, 1942). An open shaded inclined 3d lineale. See Roller (1997, Pat Hickso, ITF and Red Rooster Collection).
- Nacional (1941, Nacional). A calligraphic roman in old medieval Spanish style with Clasico Nacional 1 and Clasico Nacional Negro weights. See Madrid (Steve Jackaman, Red Rooster Collection) for a digital revival.
- Numantina (1940). Revived by Nick Curtis as Numancia NF (2011, Nicks Fonts).
- The brush script typeface Reporter (1938, the Wagner foundry). Digital revivals: Reporter No. 2 (Adobe), Reporter 2 (Linotype).
Linotype page. Klingspor link. FontShop link. View some digital versions of Winkow's typefaces.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
The Spanish type scene ⦿
German type scene ⦿
Brush script typefaces ⦿
Blackboard type ⦿
3D fonts ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Avant Garde typefaces ⦿
Typefaces that emulate chalk ⦿
Typefaces related to radio ⦿