[Fredrick M. Nader]
One of the most dynamic foundries from 2000 until 2003. The "Lab" was run by Apostrophe (Fredrick Nader) and was based in Toronto. The name Apostrophe comes from a Frank Zappa song. It has produced well over 1000 original free fonts, in all formats (type 1, truetype, and opentype, PC and Mac), and nearly all fonts have full character sets. Many have character sets for extended European languages and Cyrillic as well. It was for a few years the only active producer of multiple master fonts. Download site at Typoasis. Original URL, now being reworked. Highlights:
The list of designers and their fonts:
- Miltown (from the Matrix movie).
- Fluoxetine (old typewriter).
- Desyrel (handwriting, Dana Rice).
- PicaHole-1890Morse font.
- Ritalin has almost 500 glyphs, and is a family designed for Latin, Greek, Turkish, eastern European, Cyrillic and Baltic.
- The 3-axis multiple master ImpossibleMM (of Mission Impossible fame).
- Carbolith Trips (letters from cuneiforms).
- Diehl Deco (revival of 1940 lettering by Wooster Bard Field; with Marley Diehl).
- Textan (with Rich Parks or Richard D. Parker; inspired by the Chinese Tangram).
- Poultrygeist (horror comic font).
- Hard Talk (an R-rated font by Slovenian Marjan Bozic).
- Independant (with Phynette; a faithful revival of a 1930s font by Collette and Dufour for Maison Plantin in Belgium---a fantastic Art Deco font family).
- Metrolox ("Enemy of the State" font, with Karen Clemens; a Unicode font with 567 glyphs for over 20 Latin-based languages and some math symbols).
- Komikaze, Komikazba, Komikahuna and Komikazoom (comic book fonts: 1280 glyphs for Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Baltic, Turkish, East-European, with dingbats and Braille).
- Republika (a 300-font techno family; read about it here).
- ChizzlerMM (3-axis multiple master, a reworked version of Graham Meade's Chizzler).
- Street (a 87-font family by Graham Meade).
- Amerika (fantastic Armenian-look font series, with support for Greek, Cyrillic/Russian, Baltic, Turkish and Central European).
- The dingbats Eyecicles and Texticles, both with Graham Meade.
- Insula (2001, a Celtic/uncial font with Cybapee).
- Komika (2001, 50 comic book fonts designed with Vigilante).
- Labrit (a great Fraktur font, with Graham Meade).
- Frigate (a Roman-kana font by Melinda Windsor).
- Scriptina (an unbelievable calligraphic font by Apostrophe, 2000-2001). In 2010, CheapProFonts published an extension, Scriptina Pro.
- Freebooter Script (an equally unbelievable calligraphic font by Graham Meade, 2001).
- Choda (a display font like none you have seen before; Apostrophe and Meade, 2001).
- Endor (with Meade, a Gothic font; 2001).
Font Squirrel link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link.
- Apostrophe [dead link]: Day Roman (2002, the first digitization of Fr. Guyot's "Two Line Double Pica Roman", designed in the early 1600s), Bombardier (2002), Propaganda (2002), PropagandaCyrillic (2002), PropagandaGreek (2002), Contra (2003), Ergonome (2002), Ergonomix (2002, techno dingbats), Alfabetix (2002), SoMM (2002, a multiple master font), Templo (2001, a pixelish font), Zoloft, Miltown, Witches Brew, Celexa, Labrat, Effexor, Fluoxetine, Tralfamadore, Halcion, RxMM, Paxil, Valium, Fight This, Ritalin, Xanax, Maskalin, PicaHole, ImposMM, MiltownII, Carbolith, Komikaze, Komikazoom, Komikahuna, Diogenes, Komikazba, MistressScript, Sledge, Mary Jane, Republika, StarBat, Merkin, Erectlorite, Halter, Estrogen, Steinem (based on Dalton Maag's British Steel typeface), Lab Mix, Mary Jane II, Amerika, Masque, Konfuciuz, Mastodon, Broad, Amerika Sans, Scriptina, Karnivore, Cholo, Sedillo and Reprobate (all three based on Mike Sedillo's handwriting, 2001), Templo (screen font family, 2001).
- Marjan Bozic and Apostrophe: Hard Talk.
- Karen Clemens and Apostrophe [dead link]: Wellbutrin, Metrolox, Jagz.
- CybaPee and Apostrophe [dead link]: Cyclin, Lady Ice, Insula.
- CybaPee [dead link], Graham Meade and Apostrophe: Yellowswamp, Lady Ice revisited.
- Steve Deffeyes: Loopy.
- Marley Diehl and Apostrophe: Diehl Deco.
- Fleisch and Apostrophe: Colwell, Hadley.
- Steve Graham: Hypnosis.
- Frank Guillemette and Apostrophe: Ankora.
- Jeri Ingalls and Apostrophe: Paxil.
- Neumat Ick and Apostrophe: Icklips, Powderfinger.
- Keya Kirkpatrick: Extasy
- Keya Kirkpatrick and Apostrophe: Kimono.
- Jeff Lan: Healthy Alternative, Haven Code.
- Su Lucas and Apostrophe: Barbarello.
- Brigido Maderal and Apostrophe: Lab Bats.
- Graham Meade: Quastic Kaps (8-weight family, 2003), Quixotte (2002), Mechanihan (2002), Kameleon (2002), Lady Ice Extra (2002), Gizmo (2002), Zillah Modern (2002), Wazoo (2002), JamesEightEleven (2002), Equine (2001), Street Corner (2001), Freebooter Script, Street (31 font sans and slab serif), Bipolar Control, Lane, Street, Street Slab, 2nd Street, Kronika, Thong, Whackadoo Upper, Charrington, Lady Copra, Zebra, Extra Meade Pack, Control Freak, Dekon, Asenine, Heidorn Hill (a Fraktur font), Castorgate, Troglodyte.
- Graham Meade and Apostrophe: Moondog (2001), Choda, Futurex, Duralith, Epyval, BooterMM, Pamelor, Sabril, Erinal, Karisma, Whackadoo, Bicicles, Drummon, Primary Elector, Youthanasia, Grunja, Prussian Brew, ChizMM, Luciferus, Labtop, Gilgongo, Labrit, Kandide, Brassiere (which became the commercial typeface Ipscus in 2009), Eskargot, Endor, Labag.
- Graham Meade and Rich Parks: Luteous, Luteous II.
- Link Olsson and Apostrophe: Librium, Severina, Poultrygeist, Extrano, Komikandy.
- Rich Parks and Apostrophe: Textan, Glaukous, Textan Round, TexSquareMM, TexRoundMM.
- Alejandro Paul and Apostrophe: Fontcop, Usenet, Cayetano, Elektora.
- Evelyne Pichler: Sindrome.
- Evelyne Pichler and Apostrophe: 1910 Vienna.
- Phynette and Apostrophe: Independant.
- Peter Ramsey and Apostrophe: Distro, Futurex Distro (2001).
- Dana Rice and Apostrophe: Desyrel, Lilly.
- Wayne Sharpe: Ovulution I and II.
- Jessica Slater: Wiggles.
- Jessica Slater and Apostrophe: McKloud.
- Derek Vogelpohl: Phosphorus, Florence sans, Plasmatica, Covington, Avondale, Phosphorus II.
- Melinda Windsor: Plastic, Frigate.
- Robby Woodard: Ashby (2001).
- WolfBainX and Apostrophe: Tribal, Komika.
- Yol: Traceroute.
Free font sources ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type design in Turkey ⦿
Eastern European fonts ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Morse fonts ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
Horror fonts ⦿
Comic/cartoon fonts ⦿
Erotic fonts ⦿
Braille typefaces ⦿
Celtic/Gaelic fonts ⦿
The Canadian type scene ⦿
Calligraphic typefaces ⦿
Pixel/bitmap fonts ⦿
Handwriting fonts ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Uncial typefaces ⦿
Tangram typefaces ⦿
Cuneiform typefaces ⦿