American designer, b. Rockville Centre, NY, 1950. George Ryan held senior positions at Linotype and Bitstream since 1979, where he has been involved in the production of over 2500 fonts. In 2004, Ryan joined Agfa Monotype. Creator of these typefaces:
- The amazingly beautiful text font Kennedy GD.
- Other Galapagos fonts: McLemore (2002), Geis (2002), Jorge (2002), Culpepper (2002), the elegant formal script font Tiamaria (2002, connected script), the fat art nouveau font Robusto (2002, based on letters found in a book about Oswald Cooper), Prop Ten (2002).
- The hand-printed comic book style typeface ITC Kristen (1995).
- The legible Nikki New Roman GD (1996).
- The handwriting font MohawcsNote GD.
- The Bitstream font Oz Handicraft (1991). This was created by George Ryan in 1990 from a showing of Oswald Cooper's hand lettering found in The Book of Oz Cooper, published in 1949 by the Society of Typographic Arts in Chicago).
- Migrate GD (now ITC Migrate).
- ITC Eborg.
- The fine dingbat font Web-O-Mints GD.
- The clean sans serif Wyle GD.
- Established in 2003 by George Ryan in Arlington, MA, Bilt Fonts (Aruban Font Foundry) sells revivals and original designs through MyFonts. Typefaces include Pietin, Geo Sans, Netto, Rescue, Jingle, Geo Tablet, Lottsa Lotta, Big Stuff, Rainman, Depth Charge, Sansand, Bulla Bulla, Kappa Nappa, Kappa Sappa, Sarabella (2004, calligraphic), Marcus Texus (fun informal), Marcus Displaeus, and Spio Beo.
- Semaphore (Bitstream, with Dave Robbins).
- In 2007, at Monotype, he made Givens Antiqua, named after Robert Givens, the co-founder and first president of Monotype Imaging---it is a soft and elegant serif family in 16 styles.
- In 2012, he published the comic book typeface Koorkin (Monotype).
FontShop link. Klingspor link.
View George Ryan's typefaces.
Google search page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Morse fonts ⦿
Handwriting fonts ⦿
Type scene in New York ⦿
Art Nouveau typefaces ⦿
Type scene in Massachusetts ⦿
Comic/cartoon fonts ⦿