Chank Fonts (or: Chank Store, or: Chank Diesel))
[Charles R. Anderson]
Born in Edmonton in 1969, Chank works out of the north-east corner of Minneapolis. Chank Diesel is a famous and prolific designer, type designer, busy-body and mentor. His Chank Foundry in Minnesota was started in 1992. Free fonts sub-page. Chank Diesel is Charles Andermack in the NY Times and Charles R. Anderson, b. Edmonton, 1970, elsewhere. Chank Fonts was run with Heidi Olmack ("El Mack de los Toros"). Earlier notices in his typefaces refer to CAKE Publications (2401 University Ave. NE, Mpls, MN 55418), Chank Foo, Schmopyright, and Exploding (PO Box 90100, San Diego, CA 92169). Bio by Susan Froyd. See also here or here or here or here. Handwriting font service for 95USD. 95 USD Go font Yourself font service based on filling out a form. Piece on Chank in the MinnPost.
Chank became a popular and colorful figure who said this about himself: I like to drink a lot, and would like to think I'm known for it. Several of my fonts were inspired by booze, and I like to encourage other people to drink more, too. My best font is called Liquorstore.
A partial list of his typefaces:
- A: Adrianna (2004, a sans family), Anger-Prerelease, Asswipe, AsswipeDeluxxe, AztecPezRegular, Adrianna Extended (2005), Aguas Frescas, Ammonia.
- B: BabOonjaZzbaSsoOn, Ballers Delight (2007, free), Bell Martellus (2006, a Carolongian script family designed with Bill Moran of Blinc Publishing for the James Ford Bell Library at the University of Minnesota: Bell Martellus was derived from a book published in 1475 by Henricus Martellus entitled Liber Insularum), Bastard, Bawdy (T-26), Birthday Girl, Blinkers, Bonehead, Brainhead, Bric-A-Brac BV (2002), Bridie, Brieincarnation, ButtplugTaft, B Complex, Badoni, Boochie&Snoochie (T-26, by by Khai Pham&Chank Diesel), Billsville, Blazedale, BlincType Letterpress Fontpak (2004, commercial: Gideon, Golgotha, Gomorrah, Goshen, Hamilton Offset, Player Piano, Prospect Modern and Sodom), Braingelt (gothic), Brimley, Brubecks Cube (2004), Buckethead.
- C: Carima (2002), Cheesewiddler, Chicken, ChickenBonus, Chrysler Electric (2007, fifties style connected script), Chumley (2002, first grade handwriting), Cleptomania, CrotchlessTeddyRoosevelt, CurbDog (by Matthew Desmond), Cookie Dough (2002), Chaloops (2005, comic book face), Chankbats (2001, +Objects, +Critters, +Flowers, +Flakes), Chauncy (ChauncyDecaf, ChauncyFatty, ChauncyPerkins, ChauncySnowman; this popular series from 1996-1998 is the first font family Chank ever made based on his own handwriting), Chauncy Pro, Chippewa Falls (2005), Chub, Chunder (1996, T-26), Cocaine, Coffeedance, Collateral Damage, Corndog, Coronette (2006, slab serif), Cosmic (1996), Couchlover, Cowboy Rhumbahut (2000, Matt Frost), Crusti, Crusti Wac.
- D: DickwhippedLincoln, DongCasual, Duesenberg (T-26, by Jamie Nazaroff), Dutch-Oven, Dutch-Treat, Darling Nikki, Dekapot (2007), Destructive Decisions (2013, a foggy font), Drunk Cowboy, Dry Cowboy (2006, Tuscan).
- E: Easterbuns (2008, Ascender Corp: a signage face), EatpooChubby, EatpooSkinny, EatpooTall [note: the latter three fonts were renamed Eatwell], Evergreen, Eatwell, El Hombre, Evolve (2015: video game font co-designed with Turtle Rock Studios).
- F: Fatthinfog, Flutterby (2006, free), Fornicator, Fucker, Fastlab (by David Cushman), Fosho (2014), Fridayluck, FriskyFlakes (2004).
- G: The Gemini Type Fontpack (2015: GT-Adrianna DemiBold GT-Adrianna Bold, GT-Adrianna ExtraBold, GT-Fairbanks, GT-Forward Thinking, GT-Hydropower ExtraCondensed, GT-Kegger, GT-Shopaganda, GT-Shopaganda Condensed, GT-Timeless Geometric. These fonts aaare optimized for use as exterior cast-metal signage in bronze or aluminum in collaboration with Gemini, a family-owned industry leader in the wholesale manufacture of dimensional letters, logo and plaques based in Cannon Falls, MN), Girl77, Glovebox, Goshen, Groovies-Normal, GFY Handwriting Fontpak, GFY Handwriting Fontpak 2, Gobbler. The GFY Handwriting Fontpak (2002-2005) is a collection of 21 fresh handwriting fonts in OpenType format for Macintosh or Windows. Contains the following fonts: GFY AuntSusan, GFY Brutus, GFY HeySteve, GFY JacksBluePrint, GFY Jeanna, GFY Josie, GFY Kersti, GFY Kimberly, GFY Loopy, GFY Marcie, GFY Mancini, GFY Michael, GFY Palmer, GFY Peggy, GFY Pollak, GFY Shue, GFY Ralston, GFY Sidney, GFY Sonya, GFY Thornesmith, and GFY Woodward. His DFY Handwriting Fontpak 2 (2008) contains GFY Artie, GFY Bobby, GFY Bobbys Kid, GFY Bracco, GFY Butcher, GFY Carmela, GFY Christopha, GFY Clarice, GFY Erin B, GFY Father Mike, GFY Finn, GFY Furio, GFY Georgio, GFY Janice, GFY Junior, GFY Madre, GFY Meadow, GFY Paulie, GFY Syl, GFY Tina, GFY Tony, GFY Uncle Junior, GFY Vito.
- H: Halebopp, Harvester 3D (2008), HelveticaInaHamper, Hermenaut, HieronymousBoschian, HipstersDelight, HooskerDont, HooskerDoo, Hoover, Hystrix, HystrixHystrax, HystrixHystraxBordex, HystrixHystraxSleestax, HUGS (2005, comic book style), Hilde Sharp.
- I: Imastar, IndustrialSchizophrenic, Isotope, Instructor.
- J: Javatronic (retro), JawboxChanky, Jawbreaker, Jeffersonofabitch, Johnson, Jingles (with Mike Cina), Jawbox.
- K: Kat Walk (geometric sans), Keester Black (2002), Kaiser, KlippyDingbats, Kraftwerk, KraftwerkNarrow, Kroozr, Kwikfont, Kegger (2007, a collegiate lettering face), Kazootie, King George (2003, ransom note font).
- L: Lambretta, Lambrettista, Laundrette, LemonadeSpeedster (retro), Limonata (2016, a display family, co-designed with Nicollazzi Xiong), Liquor 3D, Liquorstore Bold and Bolder (2017: stackable, layerable), Luncheonette, Laundry, Lavaman, Liquorstore (1997, a squarish face; since 2005 also in OT as Liquorstore 3D).
- M: Mars (2007), Marcusia, Metolurgy2typeindexcom, Mikrokoszmo, MisterFrisky, MisterLincoln, Mister Twiggy (woodsy design), Monko-Blocky, MC Auto (2002), McKraken, Mantisboy, Mars (2007, a custom family for Mars Inc), Millesime, Mingler (MinglerNipsy, MinglerRitzy, MinglerTipsy), Miss AmyLynn (2008, based upon the handwriting of the former Miss Kentucky, Amy Lynn Brown), Mister Hand, Moonshine (Moonshine Murky).
- N: NailedToTheCross, NapkinTheModern, Nomadic Egyptian (2005), Nomadic Sketchbook (2005, like Nomadic Egyptian, based on drawings by Kent Aldrich of the Nomadic Press), Newcastle (2005, blackletter typeface designed with Kevin Hayes), Nube, Naughties, Newercastle, Nicotine (+Jazz).
- O: Omnivore, Oooopsie (this 1997 font is just Helvetica with some circles dropped on top of it. The Helvetica trademark and Adobe copyright notices are still in the font!), OooopsieReverse, Ooopsie, Ollivette (2008, old typewriter), Ollivette Elite (2008), Orbital, Orbus (OrbusBjorkus, OrbusMultiserif).
- P: Panefresco (2011, 16 styles---a free sans family), PHreAkKruSty, Panzer, Paregos, PhysicsAlpha, PhysicsBeta, PlasticLasso, Player Piano (old stencil), Poker Party (2003), Polaroid22, Portastat, Prickly, ProletarianBeta, Prospect-Modern, Puckfont, Parkway, Patching Compound, Porkshop (1997, based on immigrant Manhattan signage; +PorkshopGoodluck), Professor Minty (2006-2010: spindly and gothic).
- Q: Quimby Gubernatorial (2007), Quimby Mayoral (2002).
- R: Redherring, RhumbaHut, Ribjoint, Rubble, Ribjoint, Rosemary (2000-2001, T-26, a sign painters font).
- S: Spooooky (2011, a custom typeface design for the 2011 Target Halloween campaign), Saltwater, Schwinger (2003, script face), Schwing Shift (2003), Shadowboxer, Shakopee, SharpieStylie, SaucyMillionaire, SooperCosmic, SpaceKrafty, Spacesuit, StarryFHope, Sundayluck, Swister (2004), GFY Santa Script (2004), Skylab, Shatner, Sunshine (2000-2001, T-26, grunge), SandraOh, Shrub (2007, grunge), Sister Frisky, Skippy Sharp, Snipple, Soccerboy (2012, a hand-drawn multiline typeface), Space Toaster, Spunkflakes (2002), Sunflower (2006, distressed typewriter), Sunshine, Swingdancer (2002, a custom connected script font first made for P. Puff Company).
- T: Tabitha, Tacklebox, TackleboxFive, Transam, Transam03 (2003, commercial version), Thymesans, Trucker (2005), Turman Grotesk.
- U: Ultramagnetic (by Mike Cina), UncleStinky, Urban Circus.
- V: VenerealDisease, Venis Small Caps (2004, T-26), Venis (2000: big text family, T-26: reviewed by Hrant Papazian).
- W: Westsac (2003), Whorn, Wichita, Woodrow, Wordy Diva (1995, based on the handwriting of Lisa Bralts).
- W: Woodrow, Wordy Diva.
- Y: Yearling (2000), Yellabelly.
- Z: ZsaZsa Galore.
At Ascender: the mostly hand-printed typefaces Birthday Girl, Bleacher, Bobby Zee, Chauncy Decaf, Churros, Collateral Damage, Couchlover, Easterbuns, Loopy Fiesta, Mister Marker, Mister Twiggy, Prickly, Snowballs, Space Toaster, Tipsy, Twigdancer, Younger Than Me (2009, grunge).
Chank also has a bunch of free fonts such as Yellabelly (handwriting), Fridley, Airboy, SundayLuck, Shadowboxer, Portastat, Fridayluck, Twenty Six Snake Rumba, and Blinkers.
Interview by MyFonts in 2011.
Dafont link. Behance link. Klingspor link.
View Chank Diesel's typefaces.
Chank Fonts (or: Chank Store, or: Chank Diesel))
Fontspring link [Buy fonts]
Klingspor Museum page
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Free font sources ⦿
Signature/logo fonts ⦿
Athletic lettering faces ⦿
Type scene in Minnesota ⦿
Snowflake fonts ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
3D fonts ⦿
Signage typefaces ⦿
Handwriting fonts ⦿
The Canadian type scene ⦿
Comic/cartoon fonts ⦿
Horror fonts ⦿
Carolingian typefaces ⦿
Ransom note fonts ⦿
Aztec typefaces ⦿
Circus fonts ⦿
Hipster fonts ⦿
Tuscan fonts ⦿