Steve Mehallo was born in San Francisco in 1967. He is a freelance graphic designer, educator, illustrator and font designer specializing in brand strategies, custom font development and logos. His clients have included Monotype, Microsoft, Ascender Corp, The Unicode Consortium, Netscape, TiVo, Nike, The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, The Learning Company and several more. He is also a past president of the Art Directors and Artists Club of Sacramento, board member of Another Poster for Peace, was the lead curator of the contemporary graphic design exhibition Spoken With Eyes at the UC Davis Design Museum and has taught design courses at UC Davis, Santa Clara University, The Art Institute of California and Sacramento-based American River College. First Redwood City, CA, and now Sacramento, CA-based. Creator of these fonts:
- The street lettering font Alta California in 1994 (Agfa): Alta California is a ransom note-style sample of wood type and other types.
- The beautiful old typewriter family Chandler 42 at Psy/Ops.
- MartiniAtJoes family (1996-1997) is available through Agfa-Monotype and PsyOps: futuristic meets the 50s.
- Niedermann Grotesk (2011). He says: It is a peculiar style of lettering - which was originally inspired by the Sachplakat (object poster) work of Lucien Bernhard - and adapted for hot metal in 1908 by Hermann Hoffmann. 100 years ago, the style became a workhorse of the German printing industry.
- Escoffier Capitaux (2008) is named for culinary legend Auguste Escoffier (1846-1835) and inspired by lettering used in vintage French advertising---including the work of commercial illustrator/fashion designer Ernst Dryden (1887-1938), with a hearty serving of 1960s ligatures influenced by the work of Herb Lubalin (1918-81) as well as a twist of Claude Garamond (1480ish-1561).
- TwentyFourNinetyOne (2008, Ascender Corp) is a reinterpretation of the alphabet of 1919 by Theo van Doesburg.
- Jeanne Moderno (2009) is an art deco take on Bodoni, in 9 styles.
Klingspor link. FontShop link. Blog. MyFonts link.
View Steve Mehallo's typefaces.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
Type scene in California ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Wood Type ⦿
Ransom note fonts ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Type blogs ⦿
De Stijl and type design ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Fashion mag typefaces ⦿