Designer (b. Barcelona, 1968) at type-o-tones in Barcelona. She publishes as well as promotes all her type designs through her own type foundry, Type-o-Tones. In 2003-2004, she took a year off and took the postgraduate Type and Media course at KABK (Royal Academy of Art) in The Hague, Holland. She is a professor of typography in Spain. Author of TypoMag. Typography in Magazines (IndexBook). In 2012, Cristobal Henestrosa, Laura Meseguer and José Scaglione coauthored Como Crear Tipografias (Brizzolis S.A., Madrid, Spain). MyFonts link. Fontshop link. Her typefaces:
- Adelita (1993-2007). A connect-the-dots typeface family codesigned by Laura Meseguer and Adela de Bara.
- Cortada: her first typeface. In 2012, she published the angular signage typeface Cortada Dos at Type O Tones.
- Dauro (2013), a corporate typeface done for the olive oil brand Dauro. From the original typeface in use, Chronicle Bold Condensed, she designed an outline version, then Lingotillo (Little gold bar: beveled) and finally Grabado (engraved).
- Frankie (1992, a grunge font done with Juan Dávila). Frankie is the result of a process of erosion, photocopying, scanning and digitisation based on the Franklin Gothic type (1904, Morris Fuller Benton).
- Guapa (2011). A thin monoline curlified display typeface with an art deco aroma. Followed in 2012 by Guapa Deco.
- Lola (2013). A comic book typeface started in 1997 based on an alphabet found in Schriftschreiben Schriftzeichnen by Eugen Nerdinger and Lisa Beck. Lola won an award at TDC 2013. Its outgrowth, Lalola (1997-2013), won an award at TDC 2014.
- Multi (2012). A magazine type family, with weights from hairline to black.
- Rumba (2003-2007): this semi-script family won an award at the TDC2 2005 type competition.
- In 2009, the low-to-zero contrast Alexander Girard family was published by House Industries. It consists of Girard Sky, Girard Script, Girard Display, Girard Sansusie and Girard Slab in many weights and styles. It was created by Laura Meseguer based on the lettering used to announce the textile designs that Alexander Girard did for Herman Miller in 1955.
- Magasin (2013, Type o Tones) is a connected retro-chic upright script typeface. She writes: Some examples that have inspired me are Corvinus (Imre Reiner, 1934) and Quirinus (Alessandro Butti, 1939) and the later Fluidum (1951), a kind of non-connected script version of Quirinus, also designed by Alessandro Butti for Nebiolo foundry.
Interview by MyFonts. Speaker at ATypI 2016 in Warsaw on A Typographic Maghribi Trialogue. In this talk, he explains, together with Juan Luis Blanco and Krystian Sarkis, the Typographic Matchmaking in the Maghrib project of the Khatt Foundation, which tries to facilitate a cultural trialogue as well as shed a typographic spotlight on the largely ignored region of the Maghreb in terms of writing and design traditions. The specific goal of the collaboration is the research and development of tri-script font families (for Latin, Arabic and Tifinagh) that can communicate harmoniously.
Interview by Unostiposduros.
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type design in Catalunya ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Signage typefaces ⦿
Books on type design ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿