Donald Beekman (DBXL, est. 1999) is a graphic and audiovisual designer (b. Amsterdam, 1961), who studied at the Rietveld Art Academy from 1979 to 1984 and then started his own graphic and music studio in Amsterdam. He designed many typefaces, most of them emanating from logos or artwork designed for his clients, often from the music and entertainment industry. Since 2004 he has been co-hosting Typeradio, the radio- and podcast-station on design and typography. He set up Vette Letters. Dafont link. Alternate URL. His fonts:
- At FontFont: Automatic, FF Atomium (2007), FF Beekman (1999), Backbone, Imperial, Droids, FF Massive (2010: a logo family consisting of ultra-fat octagonal designs), Overdose, Stargate (1999), Totem, Tsunami, FF Flava (2003: Beekman calls this a hip-hop font), FF Manga Steel, FF Manga Stone, FF Webfonts, FF Backbone 2 (2003, a futuristic face) and FF Noni (2000).
- At the DBXL web site: DBXL Softsoul, DBXL Monodon, Brak Bold, DBXL Hardsoul, DBXL Atonium, DBXL Nightfever (free).
- At Die Gestalten: Breeze, Beatbox (2007, tilted stencil).
- At Vette Letters: VLNL Cleaver (2017), VLNL Bon Bon (2013), VLNL Brokken (2009, fat octagonal face), VLNL Brak, VLNL Decks, VLNL Donuts (2015: originally designed in 2005 by DBXL as a logo for a Dutch funky house music outfit), VLNL Breakz.
- Berlage (2013). A Dutch art deco typeface family based on lettering found in the Amsterdam Beurs (stock exchange) building, designed by architect H.P. Berlage, and other lettering found all over Amsterdam. It was published by FontShop in 2016 as FF Berlage Burcht and FF Berlage Beurs.
Speaker at ATypI 2013 in Amsterdam.
Dafont link. Klingspor link. FontShop link.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Dutch type design ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Octagonal typefaces ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿