Type designer who runs Philip Kelly Digital Design in the UK. He worked for Letraset from 1969-1994 as a type designer. His type design work there included Arabic and Hebrew letterforms. From 1994 until 1997, he designed typefaces at Signus, and became an independent designer in 1997. His typefaces:
- He redesigned University Roman in 1977 at the Latraset Studio based on Mike Daines's origina design of University Roman (1972), which is now offered in a myriad of digital libraries. See University Roman (ITC), University SB (Scangraphic Digital Type Collection), University SH (Scangraphic Digital Type Collection).
- Gillies Gothic Extra Bold Shaded (1982). See Gillies Gothic (ITC) and Gillies Gothic (Linotype).
- Cortez (1977). An exaggerated flashy copperplate. See Cortez (Linotype).
- Pump (1980). This family has rounded simple letterforms including a triline style. See Pump (Linotype) and Pump (ITC).
- Croissant (1978, ITC or Elsner+Flake). Rounded and almost an oriental simulation face. See Croissant SH (Scangraphic Digital Type Collection) and Croissant (Linotype).
- The often copied Algerian (1988). See, e.g., Algerian Condensed (Linotype), Algerian EF (Elsner+Flake) and Algerian SB (Scangraphic).
- Emporium (Letraset). A circus font.
- Spritzer (1987, Letraset). A shaded face.
- Impress (1983, Letraset).
- Sendai (2010). A gracious copperplate-influenced 6-weight sans family.
- Fantail (2012). An arts and crafts style all caps typeface inspired by an RO monogram used during a Roy Orbison concert at the now defunct Coconut Grove nightclub in Los Angeles.
- Elan Greek and Elan Cyrillic to match ITC Elan (1985, Albert Boton).
- Elegant hand-drawn numeral typefaces based on calligraphic samples by illustrator Sarah Jane Coleman (2009).
- The italics for IR Modena (IR stands for Inland Revenue).
- Calligraphic typefaces done for Mandalay in 2009.
- Sendai (2001-2010).
- Shiosai and Shiosai Calm (2015). Wavy display typefaces.
- Zipper (Letraset). This was not Kelly's design, in fact. He was a stencil cutter at the time and only partially cut it, under direction. He writes: I just recall that I worked under close direction, but what was the inspiration/idea I have no idea. Personally I would prefer not to be thought of as its designer as I never really liked it. See ITC Zipper (ITC) and Zipper (Linotype).
Linotype link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. Portfolio. Testimonial of Kelly's days at Letraset. View several digital typefaces based on Philip Kelly's designs.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Photo and film type era ⦿
Oriental simulation fonts ⦿
Type design in the United Kingdom ⦿
Typefaces and type design for Arabic ⦿
Hebrew font links ⦿
Arts and Crafts Movement ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿
Prismatic typefaces ⦿
Circus fonts ⦿