French type designer (b. 1977), who studied graphic design in Paris as well as calligraphy and typography at the Scriptorium de Toulouse. From 1999 to 2001, he worked as a type designer in a packaging design agency. He collaborated with Ladislas Mandel on Renaissance writings. From 2001 to 2004, he lived in South Asia. His work was discussed by Yves Peters. Link at ENSAE, France. FontShop link. An online quarrel between Xavier and John Downer. He designed the following fonts:
- The aesthetic text font Humanix, 1998.
- The beautifully balanced family FF Reminga (2001).
- The swinging FF Jambono (2002).
- The fifties font FF Tartine Script (2002).
- The elegant modern family FF Angkoon (2003, winner of an award at TDC2 2004).
- The slab serif family FF Absara (2004). This face won an award at the TDC2 2005 type competition. It was followed in 2005 by FF Absara Sans and in 2007 by FF Absara Headline.
- FF Parango (2001).
- The 12-weight family Spotka (2003, T-26), created in cooperation with Silos Dilworth.
- Meteor (2003, T-26).
- FF Megano (2005, FontShop), a humanist sans in six weights and a very eye-catching "g".
- Zingha (2005, Font Bureau), an all-round serif family.
- Vista Sans (2005, Emigre): this won an award at TDC2 2006.
- Two Khmer fonts commissioned in 2003 and 2004 for Cambodia: ApsaraLight, ApsaraRegular, ApsaraMedium, ApsaraBold, ChriengCKS-Regular, ChriengCKS-RegularAlternate (done with the help of Michel Antelme). Reencodings include Banthem Aksar Chrieng, Chrieng Siksacakr, Hora Chrieng, Mo.Kha.Sa.Chrieng.
- FF Sanuk (2006, FontFont), a 27-style family rooted in architectural drawing letters.
- Malaga (2007, Emigre), a 32-weight serif family with a distinctive flat-topped lower case a.
- Vista Slab (2008, 108 styles): an Emigre family.
- FF Masala (2009, sans).
- FF Yoga Sans and Serif (2009), a type system conceived for newspapers and magazines. The FontShop ad: FF Yoga, with its sturdy serifs is a good choice for body text, but it also serves as an original headline face with its subtly chiseled counters. The face mixes the dynamic tension of angular cuts with the balanced rhythm and elegant curves of Garalde typefaces. FF Yoga Sans is a contemporary alternative to Gill Sans and a sober companion to the serif FF Yoga.
- Mislab (2013, Typofonderie). A slightly cursive and fully humanistic slab family in 32 styles and three widths.
Google search page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Cambodian (Khmer) fonts ⦿
Architectural lettering/typefaces ⦿
Type design in France ⦿