German type designer (b. Hechingen, 1895, d. Frankfurt/Main, 1942). He undertook doctoral studies at the University of Frankfurt am Main. From 1922 until 1942, he was responsible for type design at D. Stempel AG in Frankfurt am Main. Author of Fraktur und Antiqua (1934, Frankfurt am Main). His typefaces:
- Codesigner with Chauncey H. Griffith in 1929-1930 of the well-known Egyptian typeface Memphis (Stempel). Digital versions of Memphis are everywhere, including at Linotype and Adobe, as well as on the SoftMaker MegaFont XXL CD, 2002, under the name Missouri. Metal versions of Memphis, at Stempel: Memphis halbfett 1929, Memphis zart 1930, Memphis mager 1932, Memphis licht 1932, Memphis schmalfett 1932, Memphis Buchschrift 1932, Memphis Buchschrift halbfett 1932, Memphis for Linotype 1931/32, Memphis fett 1933, Memphis Universal mager 1938, Memphis Universal halbfett 1938, Memphis Luna 1938, Memphis Universal fett 1943. Descendants of Memphis include Memphis Magro and Memphis Meio Preto (1960s, Brazilian foundry Funtimod), Missouri (Softmaker, digital), Geometric Slabserif 703 (Bitstream, digital).
- Görres Fraktur (1939, Stempel).
- Artemis (1932, Stempel). Unpublished.
- Garamond Antiqua (1925), Garamond Kursiv (1926), Garamond Antiqua Halbfett (1927), Garamond Kursiv Halbfett (1932). All done at Stempel, this has become known as Stempel Garamond.
- Paracelsus Antiqua and Kursiv (1942, Linotype).
- Welt-Antiqua (Ludwig&Mayer, 1931ff).
- Cairo (Intertype, 1933ff).
- Nil (Jan Idzkowski Giesserei in Warschau, 1934ff).
- Nofretete (Genzsch&Heyse, 1938ff).
- Versalien Licht (1935, Stempel). Unpublished.
View Rudolf Wolf's typefaces. View a list of digital typefaces related to Memphis. Linotype link.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
German type scene ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿