Choice of Garamond
Apostrophe has this to say about the choice of one of the many Garamonds.
- Stempel Garamond: the mainstream closest you will find to the original. Not much variety there though: 8 fonts at Lino/Adobe, include bold, italic, bold italic, OsF across the board, and roman small caps, but that's about it.
- Adobe Garamond: a lot of variety there, but while the main weights were based on Garamond's punches, the italics were based on Granjon's work (so they're not true Garamond).
- Monotype's Garamond: great fonts there. Based on Jannon's work, mind you, not Garamond's. Very nice expert sets and swashes.
- ITC Garamond: also based on Jannon's stuff, but I don't recommend it at all. It's umm, say, quirky in many respects. Adobe has a multiple master version of it too.
- Berthold Garamond: good set with some variety, but also based on Jannon's copies of Garamond's types.
- Granjon: just 6 fonts at Lino/Adobe, based on Granjon's work, which is very similar to Garamond (those two were contemporaries, if I remember correctly).
- Sabon: 8 fonts, romans based on original Garamond, italics based on Granjon's work.
- Garamond 3: 8 fonts at Lino/Adobe, based on Jannon's work (as copied by Benton at ATF, I think). Not much variety there.
- Simoncini Garamond: authentic enough, but no variety at all. A bit lighter than the rest too. 3 fonts at Lino/Adobe.
- 1530 Garamond, by Ross Mills at Tiro: this one is certainly based on Garamond's work, but the design turned out to be good for only display, and really bad for text (the c and e are too closed for 14 and under, for instance).
- And of course, my favourite of all digital Garamonds is called Augereau (named after Claude Garamond's teacher). It is the most authentic digitization I have ever seen of Garamond's work, and it's full of variety. 28 weights of sheer beauty. Unfortunately, it is too expensive to buy and available for purchase only from George Abrahms himself (the guy who digitized it), who happens to now be a very old man in upstate New York.
Choice of fonts ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿
Morris Fuller Benton ⦿