Andy Benedek's (b. Manchester, UK, 1945) Cotswolds-based outfit for "custom fonts and lettering of distinction", founded by him in 1988. Andy (András) made corporate typefaces for Umbro, QZERO, Bowater, Lloyds Bank, Royal Free Hospital, Liptons teas, Gordons gin, Marlboro cigarettes, as well as typefaces for magazines (Royal Academy of Arts, Elle, Blueprint) and for newspapers (The Scotsman). All this was done under the label of The Font Factory. With Michael Johnson and Mike Pratley, he created a font for BT Cellnet. A braille typeface has been developed to aid the production of signage for the blind. In 2001, he co-founded Fine Fonts with Michael Harvey. CV. Typefaces:
- Aesop (2000, with Michael Harvey): developed from book jacket lettering drawn by Michael Harvey for an edition of Aesops Fables.
- Balthasar (2002, with Michael Harvey): a serifed stencil font.
- Braff (2002, with Michael Harvey, for Monotype Imaging): an outline face.
- Fine Gothic (2002, a blackletter typeface co-designed with Michael Harvey): a blackletter family with a Basque A.
- Friezea (Andy Benedek and Michael Harvey, Fine Fonts). The original font dates from ca. 1990. They explain: The origin of this font was a frieze in the RAF Chapel in Westminster Abbey which Michael Harvey was commissioned to design and create. It was comprised of the names of the top brass in Bomber Command, namely Dowding, Harris, Newall, Tedder, Portal and Douglas. The Brief was to cut the letters in bronze and guild them. Instead, they were cut in perspex and guilded. Some twenty years later, the missing upper-case letters were drawn together with the lower-case letters and Frieze, the font, was born.
- Marceta (2003, with Michael Harvey): an eighth-century uncial.
- Mentor (2004, with Michael Harvey, for Monotype Imaging): a Times-Roman style family.
- Mentor Sans (2004, with Michael Harvey, for Monotype Imaging): a sans family.
- Quirky (2010).
- Ruskin (2008, Andy Benedek and Michael Harvey, Fine Fonts). This display serif typeface was originally created as a commission for Michael Harvey to design a signage font for the Dean Gallery in Edinburgh.
- Scorpio (2015). Based on he condensed lettering Michael Harvey drew for the card The Sign of The Nudge which was designed in collaboration with poet Ian Hamilton Finlay. It was digitized after Harvey's death by Benedek.
- Songlines (2001, with Michael Harvey): based upon a pen-drawn script drawn by Michael Harvey to illustrate a poem by Johannes Thurman.
- Tisdall Script (2002, with Michael Harvey): based upon the brush-drawn script lettering of Hans Tisdall, who was the designer of many distinctive lettered book jackets for Jonathan Cape in the 1950s.
- Victoriana (2002, a Victorian font by Andy Benedek and Michael Harvey, Fine Fonts). Named after cyclist Victoria Pendleton.
View Andy Benedek's typefaces.
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Type in Scotland ⦿
Braille typefaces ⦿
Basque fonts ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Brush script typefaces ⦿
Type design in the United Kingdom ⦿
Uncial typefaces ⦿
Victorian typefaces ⦿