René Verkaart (Maastricht, The Netherlands, b. 1970) established Characters in 2004. His type designs:
- Cucaracha (2005, Volcano Type). It includes Cucaracha Icons. A typeface commissioned by Boris Kahl for Kahl's Bastard Project.
- Ballet Mechanique (2006). A custom-designed unicase font for musician Jeroen Borrenbergs, aka Ballet Mechanique.
- Plan (2005). A corporate typeface made for Plan A Ontwerp, a graphic design studio based in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, based on sketches by Frank Vogt.
- Reethi Rah (2006). See also here.
- Siventi Logo Wide (2005). A Startrek face. Verkaart writes: This custom font was created from the Siventi Products BV logo, which was part of a Brand Identity concept done by Stoere Binken Design (SBD). The concept behind the handlettered Siventi logo was a playful concept, a colorful corporate identity that would change appearance like a chameleon to fit its purpose. Fresh and friendly on poppy plastic products, serious and distinguished on office desk materials.
- Insider (2004). A sans serif custom face done for Insider Consulting in Duesseldorf, German. It became retail in 2011, and is sold as a warm grotesque family.
- Nordic Narrow is a clean, stylistic font with a Scandinavian touch. For an early development of the Nordic series, see Nordic A (2003, sans, sold through Fountain). Nordic Narrow Pro was published in 2014.
- Savant (2012). A free informal face.
- ShellShock (2005). A display typeface.
- Accelerator. A techno / Startrek typeface solds via T-26.
- Nantua (2003), Nantua Flava XL (2003, display typefaces sold through Union Fonts). In 2011, the octagonal typeface Nantua was offered for free download at Dafont.
- Encrypted Wallpaper (2006) is a playful squarish typeface for creating textual wallpapers and decorations.
- Vagebond (2003) is a monoline elliptical geometric font that is inspired by 60s television design.
- Other fonts designed by René Verkaart include BorVer, Bionix, FatBoy One, Freaky Animals, Kryptonite (1998), Porta, SBD Block (a corporate typeface for his own design studio, Stoere Binken Design).
- Kris (2014). A vampire script or haunted house typeface codesigned with Corrie Smetsers.
He co-founded Stoere Binken Design. Blog. Klingspor link. Behance link. Dafont link. Volcano Type link. Fountain Type link.
View René Verkaart's typefaces.
Fontspring link [Buy fonts]
Klingspor Museum page
Dutch type design ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Type blogs ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Unicase type design ⦿
Sci-Fi fonts ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Octagonal typefaces ⦿
Horror fonts ⦿