René Verkaart (Maastricht, The Netherlands, b. 1970) established Characters in 2004. He also has an office in Düsseldorf, Germany. His type designs:
- Accelerator. A techno / Startrek typeface solds via T-26.
- Ballet Mechanique (2006). A custom-designed unicase font for musician Jeroen Borrenbergs, aka Ballet Mechanique.
- Cucaracha (2005, Volcano Type). It includes Cucaracha Icons. A typeface commissioned by Boris Kahl for Kahl's Bastard Project.
- Encrypted Wallpaper (2006) is a playful squarish typeface for creating textual wallpapers and decorations. Free at MyFonts.
- Insider (2004). A custom sans face done for Insider Consulting in Duesseldorf, German. It became retail in 2011, and is sold as a warm grotesque family.
- Insignety. a fashion stencil typeface for Amsterdam-based jeweler Insignety.
- Jekyll, a sans typeface René describes as follows: CFF Jekyll Pro is a schizophrenic grotesk typeface with an edge. Its bright side is a versatile corporate font with an unexpected twist. Its dark side is awakened by creepy OpenType features, ligatures, swashes, and alternate glyphs, making it mutate into the evil Mr. Type.
- Kris (2014). A vampire script or haunted house typeface co-designed with Corrie Smetsers.
- Maastricht Sport. A suite of retail & customized fonts for Maastricht Municipality's Sports department. Based on Insider.
- Maestricht. A highly personal script font, custom made from the handwriting of Maastricht-based film producer Jean-Paul Toonen, dating back to 1992. His handwriting is very dynamic, artistic and a tasteful blend between roman and italic style.
- Motorman. A hand lettered logo font for the electric Meijs Motorman moped. This typeface was commissioned by design agency Stoere Binken Design.
- Nantua (2003), Nantua Flava XL (2003, a futuristic display typeface originally sold through Union Fonts). In 2011, the octagonal typeface Nantua was offered for free download at Dafont.
- Nordic Narrow is a clean, stylistic font with a Scandinavian touch. For an early development of the Nordic series, see Nordic A (2003, sans, sold through Fountain). Nordic Narrow Pro was published in 2014.
- Plan (2005). A corporate typeface made for Plan A Ontwerp, a graphic design studio based in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, based on sketches by Frank Vogt.
- Porta. a modular monoline unicase typeface.
- Reethi Rah (2006). A great text typeface for editorial use, named after a resort on The Maldives.
- Savant (2012). A free informal face.
- ShellShock (2005). A military stencil typeface.
- SidB. An educational typeface commissioned by Noordhoff Publishers. SidB stands for Schrijven in de Basisschool (writing in elementary school) and is an independent method to teach kids elementary school writing. Not for sale. René also designed another eductaional font, Plantijn Schrift.
- Siventi Logo Wide (2005). A Startrek face. Verkaart writes: This custom font was created from the Siventi Products BV logo, which was part of a Brand Identity concept done by Stoere Binken Design (SBD). The concept behind the handlettered Siventi logo was a playful concept, a colorful corporate identity that would change appearance like a chameleon to fit its purpose. Fresh and friendly on poppy plastic products, serious and distinguished on office desk materials.
- Vagebond (2003) is a monoline elliptical geometric font that is inspired by 60s television design.
- Other fonts designed by René Verkaart include BorVer, Bionix, FatBoy One, Freaky Animals, Kryptonite (1998), Porta, SBD Block (a corporate typeface for his own design studio, Stoere Binken Design).
He co-founded Stoere Binken Design. Blog. Klingspor link. Behance link. Dafont link. Volcano Type link. Fountain Type link.
View René Verkaart's typefaces.
Fontspring link [Buy fonts]
Klingspor Museum page
Dutch type design ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Type blogs ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Unicase type design ⦿
Sci-Fi fonts ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Octagonal typefaces ⦿
Horror fonts ⦿
Unicase type design ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
School fonts ⦿
Military typefaces ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿