Born in Amsterdam in 1939, Hofmann started out as a typesetter, and then morphed into a calligrapher and an author on calligraphy, and finally into a type designer.
Designer at URW++/Fontforum of
- Admira (2019). A revival of the striped all caps money font Admira (1940, Schriftguss).
- Altrincham (2003).
- Caxtonian Black (2012). A blackletter.
- Globus Cursive (2015, +Cyrillic). This cursive font is a revival of a font by Friedrich Hermann Wobst (1932, D. Stempel AG).
- Gothic Initials (2015). After an original from 1821 by Firmin Didot's foundry.
- Holland Gothic (2012). A blackletter.
- Jason Uncial (2012). A unicase uncial design.
- Perugia Cursive (2003). A gorgeous calligraphic script based on the 19th century "Scrittura Rotonda Francese" and "Scrittura Italiana" developed by Italian calligrapher Cesare Silvestrini.
- Pinel Pro (2014). A revival of a didone from 1899 by Joseph Pinel called French 10pt No. 2. URW++ writes: Coen Hofmann digitized the font from a batch of very incomplete, damaged and musty drawings, which he dug up in Altrincham. He redrew all characters, bringing up the hairstrokes somewhat in the process.
- Ramona (2004). A shaded typeface.
- Revis (2011). A formal script based on Daphne, a typeface that was originally designed by German type designer Georg Salden. For some reason, that typeface was withdrawn from the URW++ library some time later.
- Romeo (2004). A 3d beveled shadow face.
- Sax (2008). A didone typeface family.
- Seizieme Pro (2013). Based on the 1905 font Série 16 by Peignot, which was mainly used for scientific publications.
- Signpainters Script (2013). A connected copperplate script.
- Silvestrini (2003). A gorgeous Gando-style ronde. Based on the 19th century "Scrittura Rotonda Francese" and "Scrittura Italiana" developed by Italian calligrapher Cesare Silvestrini.
- Sirius and Sirius Caps (2003). A garalde family developed together with British type designer Neville Brown.
- Technotype (2011). A revival of Herbert Thannhaeuser's 1952 slab serif family Technotyp.
- Thomas Schrift and Thomas Versalien (2015). Based on Friedel Thomas's Thomas Schrift and Thomas Versalien from 1956-1958.
- URW Akropolis (2016, URW++). A revival of the cigar box open typeface Acropolis designed by the Ludwig Wagner foundry in Leipzig in 1940.
- Pergamon (2016, URW++). A wonderful 10-style didone typeface family that revives, extends and modernizes Pergamon Antiqua first designed in 1937 at Ludwig Wagner in Leipzig by Alfons Scheider.
- Marli (2016). A revival of the cursive typeface Korso by F. Schweimanns (1913).
- Moewe (2017). An open typeface in the blackboard bold genre that revives Möwe (1929, Heinz Beck for Genzsch & Heyse).
- Golf (2017). Golf was originally designed by Henry Reinhard Möller in 1935 for Schriftguss KG. Coen Hofmann redrew the capitals and then added lower case letter and Cyrillic alphabets.
Klingspor link. View Coen Hofmann's typefaces.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Calligraphic typefaces ⦿
Dutch type design ⦿
3D fonts ⦿
Uncial typefaces ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
Ronde (Rondo, Rundschrift): Upright scripts ⦿
Signage typefaces ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Ornamental caps typefaces ⦿
Blackboard type ⦿