Born in Boston in 1976. Graduated with an MA in Typeface Design from-the University of Reading and studied at the Rhode Island School of Design. After graduation, he worked briefly for Jeremy Tankard and Font Bureau. In 2005, he worked briefly for Porchez Typofonderie. He currently lives in Heidelberg, Germany.
He designed these typefaces:
- Strela (2003). This typeface covers Latin, Cyrillic, Albanian, Belorussian, Bosnian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Estonian, Greenlandic, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Maltese, Polish, Romanian, Sami, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Welsh.
- Deréon (2005, Porchez Typofonderie). This is a 6-font family done together with J.F. Porchez for House of Deréon, the clothing label of Beyoncé and Tina Knowles.
- Other typefaces done for Porchez: Henderson Serif (2006, black weight and production help), Verspieren (2007, for an insurance company), Le Monde Journal PTF (2007, help with the expansion of the 1994 original by J.F. Porchez), Le Monde Livre PTF (2008, help with the expansion of the 1997 original), Parisine PTF (2006, production assistance), Parisine Office (2006, production assistance), Sabon Next (2002, assistance), Mencken (2005, help with this font for The Baltimore Sun).
- In June 2007, he won the best Greek display typeface catgory at the Hellenic Alphabet competition.
- In 2008, he made a bastarda typeface Givry (Type-Together) created in the spirit of the bâtarde flamande as shown in the styles of the prominent scribes Jean Fouquet, Loyset Liédet, and Jean Bourdichon. It has Civilité influences.
- Trade Gothic Next (2008), with Akira Kobayashi at Linotype.
- In 2009, he created Alizé (Type-Together), a 3-weight italic beauty based on the chancery italic of the 16th century, with a Garamondesque "h".
- In 2012, Type Together published his typeface Iskra, a rounded family that covers Latin and Cyrillic. Iskra won an award at TDC 2013.
- Aeris (2010, Linotype). A flared sans family.
- Neue Helvetica Compressed (2014, Linotype).
- In 2014, Akira Kobayashi, Sandra Winter and Tom Grace joined forces to publish DIN Next Slab at Linotype.
- In 2018, Tom Grace and Steve Matteson published VAG Rounded Next at Monotype. It is an extension of the Volkswagen font VAG Rounded from the 1970s.
Speaker at ATypI 2017 Montreal.
Behance link. Old URL. Klingspor link.
View Tom Grace's typefaces.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type scene in Rhode Island ⦿
Type scene in Massachusetts ⦿
Bastarda / Bâtarde / Schwabacher ⦿
Chancery hand, cancellaresca ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
German type scene ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿