Born in 1975 in Schwäbisch Gmünd, Kahl graduated in 2001 from the Hochschule für Gestaltung in Pforzheim. Boris Kahl is Art Director of the German advertising agency MAGMA (Büro für Gestaltung) since 2001. He cofounded the German type and design weblog Slanted. His type designs are published at Volcano Type (Karlsruhe):
- Athletic lettering: Sports (grungy, with Lars Harmsen), Sports Skinny.
- Blackletter: Frakturbo, Fraktendon (=Fraktur+Clarendon, co-designed with Harmsen)
- Dingbats: Mr. J. Smith Eye, Mr. J. Smith Head, Mr. J. Smith Mouth, Mr. J. Smith Nose, and Mr. J. Smith Wanted are experimental dingbat typefaces by Nikolaii Renger, based on an idea of Lars Harmsen, and digitized by Ulrich Weiss and Boris Kahl. These won an award at the 2005 FUSE competition. Multigenic are a collection of black and white boxes and rectangles (free).
- Dot matrix typefaces: C64 (original Commodore 64 font), Doublepoint (five styles), Monopoint (three styles), Rollerblind, Rollerblind Grid
- Grungy: Mud (free), Psycho, Poke
- Hand-drawn: Decomic Oblique
- LED style: Digibeck, Strichcode (a family co-designed with Harmsen).
- Kitchen tile typefaces: Bus, Bus PI.
- Patriot family, done with Lars Harmsen: Saddam, Commander Robot, Fidel, Slobbodan, Osama, George.
- Pixel typefaces: Amiga, Screeny, Pixel, C64, Fette Pixel
- Script typefaces: Filou (free, three styles)
- Techno typefaces: DigiBo, Teckbo (2002. Boris Kahl writes: Retro-Avant-Garde for Club-Flyer-Honks and Plastic-Pussy-Chicks)
- Uncial: Chaucer
free fonts at Dafont include Filou Medium (2010, calligraphic).
View Boris Kahl's typefaces.
Klingspor link. Dafont link. Volcano Type link.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Pixel/bitmap fonts ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
German type scene ⦿
Handwriting fonts ⦿
Calligraphic typefaces ⦿
LED / LCD fonts ⦿
Uncial typefaces ⦿
Geometric solid typefaces ⦿