Letterjuice is the British type foundry of Pilar Cano, who graduated from the University of Reading, 2006, but started out life in Barcelona. After graduation, still in 2006, she co-founded Mídori, a graphic design studio specialised in editorial design. Letterjuice is based in Brighton, UK.
Coauthor, with Marta Serrats, of Typosphere (2007, Harper Collins). Creator of these typefaces:
- Edita (2006), an informal sans family that also covers kana for Japanese. This typeface was finally published in 2009 at Type Together. It was followed in 2011 by additional weights in Edita Book.
- Techarí (2006, +Extra) comes from a commission in which the brief consisted of the creation of a typeface family to be used for the design of the third disc of the band called Ojos de Brujo based in Barcelona. This disc was called Techarí, which means free in Caló, the language of the Spanish gypsies---it also has a stencil version.
- In 2010, she is working on an elliptical sans that covers Latin, Cyrillic and Greek.
- Techarí (2010) is an extremely elegant custom family.
Xuppis (2012) is a commissioned logotype for a candy shop in El Masnou, Barcelona.
Together with Lluis Sinol, she designed the custom sans typeface SEAT (2013) for Latin, Greek and Cyrillic.
- Quars (2013). This angular typeface family, co-designed with Ferran Milan, grabs elements from Scotch Roman and old Dutch typefaces.
- Sapmi (2013). A custom typeface for the Sami children.
- Baldufa (2014, Ferran Milan Olivares): an award-winning flared, calligraphic and subtly rounded serif typeface family for Latin and Arabic. In 2021, Ferran Milan and Pilar Cano released Baldufa Greek Ltn (Greek and Latin), Baldufa Greek, Baldufa Cyrillic Ltn, Baldufa Cyrillic and Baldufa Paneuropean.
- Aanaar (2014) was originally designed for children's textbooks.
- Seat Sans is a corporate typeface co-designed with Minsk Disseny in 2014.
- Catalana Serif won an award at Granshan 2014 in the Greek typeface category.
Pilar Cano, Spike Spondike and the Dalton Maag team won an award at Granshan 2014 in the Thai typeface category for HP Simplified.
- In 2017, Jordi Embodas's Trola family was updated, improved and expanded to Cyrillic. The Cyrillic version was designed by Letterjuice (Pilar Cano & Ferran Millan) under the supervision of Ilya Ruderman and Yury Ostromentsky.
- Bespoke typefaces include Saffron Display (2017), Screwfix (2017) and Catalana (2016).
- Pilar Cano and Ferran Milan bundled their efforts once again in 2018 for the Latin / Thai typeface family Arlette (TypeTogether).
- In 2020, she published Portada Thai at TypeTogether to complete the text typeface Portada (2016) by José Scaglione and Veronika Burian.
Interview by Unostiposduros. Cargo Collective link. MyFonts link. Behance link. Wiki page. Klingspor link. Behance link for Letterjuice.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Japanese type design ⦿
Type design in Catalunya ⦿
Books on type design ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Type design in the United Kingdom ⦿
Typefaces and type design for Arabic ⦿
Thai fonts ⦿