Cesar Puertas is the Bogotá, Colombia-based designer, who teaches typography at Jorge Tadeo Lozano University (2005-2007) and National University of Colombia (2009-). He is the co-founder of ADG Colombia (Colombian Association of Graphic Designers). He graduated from the National University of Colombia in 1999, and got an MA in Type and Media from KABK in 2009. He is currently associate professor at Universidad Nacional de Colombia and type designer at Typograma, his own design studio. His typefaces:
- Puertas Sans (2005).
- ITC Obliqua (2007), a humanist sans family with handwritten influences, discussed here.
- Urbana (2007). A humanist sans family having a few odd glyphs such as a very wide "w". Monotype link. Review by Typographica.
- Bolívar (2007) and Bolívar Dingbats (2007). A contemporary calligraphic display typeface inspired in the handwriting of Simón Bolívar, the liberator of South America.
- Buendia (2009). His graduation type family at KABK was Buendía. Available from Bold Monday and Fontshop.
- La Republica (2010). Custom high-contrast didone typeface for a Colombian newspaper. Review by The Case & Point.
- Robofan (2010, techno; +Symbols).
- Legitima (2011) is a text font family inspired by the types found in the third edition of the Italian book La Cicceide Legitima, printed in 1695. Its weight and x-height, optimized for 10 point-size, makes it an ideal choice for book design and anything with running text.
- Ancizar (2013). A family of 26 sans and serif fonts designed for the National University of Colombia. Ancizar won an award at Tipos Latinos 2016.
- Bufalino Display (2014) is a custom design for El Malpensante. Jointly designed by Cesar Puertas and Juan Sebastian Cuestas, it won an award at Tipos Latinos 2016.
- In 2016, Cesar Puertas and Jan Filipek co-designed the newspaper typeface Bagatela for La Republica.
- Translation (2017) is a typeface designed to teach the strokes and stroke order to calligraphy students.
Puertas received many awards at Tipos Latinos 2012: Legitima Regular and Italica won in the text category; while Buendia and La Republica won in the typeface family category. La Republica also won an award at TDC 2012. Speaker at ATypI 2013 in Amsterdam: Algorithm for the assessment of text typefaces using design parameters.
Dafont link. Klingspor link. Monotype link. Flickr page. Behance link. Home page.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Colombian type design ⦿
Handwriting fonts ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Calligraphic typefaces ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿