ARTypes is based in Chicago, and is run by Ari Rafaeli. UK-based pre-press production specialist who has made type 1 font revivals in 2006-2007, listed below. I am confused as this outfit seems to have grown out of Angus R. Shamal's ARS Type in Amsterdam. Who is who and what is what? List of typefaces categorized by revival type:
- Hermann Eidenbenz: Graphique (1946) now called Graphique AR, a shadow face.
- Jan van Krimpen (Enschedé) revivals: Romulus Kapitalen (1931), Romulus Open (1936), Curwen Initials (Van Krimpen did these in 1925 for The Curwen Press at Plaistow, London), and Open Kapitalen (1928).
- Jacques-François Rosart: Rosart811, a decorative initial face that is a digital version of the 2-line great primer letters cut by J. F. Rosart for Izaak&Johannes Enschedé in 1759 (Enschedé no. 811).
- Stephenson Blake revivals: Borders, Parisian Ronde.
- Rudolf Koch (Klingspor) revivals: Holla, Koch-Antiqua-Kursiv Zierbuchstaben, Maximilian-Antiqua, Neuland 24pt.
- Bernard Naudin (Deberny&Peignot) revival: Le Champlevé.
- W. F. Kemper (Ludwig&Mayer) revival: Colonia. P.H. Raedisch: Lutetia Open (2007) is based on the 48-pt Lutetia capitals engraved by P. H. Raedisch under the direction of Jan van Krimpen for Enschedé in 1928.
- Richard Austin: Fry's Ornamented (2007) is a revival of Ornamented No. 2 which was cut by Richard Austin for Dr. Edmund Fry in 1796. Stephenson, Blake&Co. acquired the type in 1905, and in 1948 they issued fonts in 30-pt (the size of the original design), 36-, 48- and 60-pt.
- Max Caflisch (Bauer) revival: Columna.
- Elisabeth Friedlaender (Bauer) revivals: Elisabeth-Antiqua, Elisabeth-Kursiv (and swash letters). Linotype Friedlaender borders.
- Herbert Thannhaeuser (Typoart) revival: Erler-Versalien.
- O. Menhart (Grafotechna) revivals: Manuscript Grazhdanka (cyrillic), Figural, Figural Italic (and swash letters). Also, Grafotechna ornaments (maybe not by Menhart).
- Hiero Rhode (Johannes Wagner) revival: Hiero-Rhode-Antiqua (2007).
- F. H. E. Schneidler (Bauer) revival: Legende.
- Herbert Post revival: Post-Antiqua swash letters.
- Georg Trump (Weber) revivals: Trump swash letters, Trump-Gravur (called Gravur AR now). The outline caps face Forum I-AR is derived from the Forum I type designed by Georg Trump (1948, C. E. Weber). Signum AR-A and Signum AR-B (2011) are based on Trump's Signum (1955, C.E. Weber). Palomba AR (2011) is based on Trump's angular calligraphic face Palomba (1954-1955, C.E. Weber). Amati AR (2011) is based on a Georg Trump design from 1953.
- Hermann Zapf revival: Stempel astrological signs.
- F.H. Ernst Schneidler: Zentenar Initialen is based on the initials designed by Prof. F. H. E. Schneidler, ca. 1937, for his Zentenar-Fraktur types.
- Isaac Moore: Old Face Open (Fry's Shaded) is a decorative Baskerville which was probably cut by Isaac Moore for Fry ca. 1788. A revival was issued in eight sizes by Stephenson Blake in 1928.
- Border units and ornaments: Amsterdam Apollo borders, Gracia dashes, Primula ornaments, Bauer Bernhard Curves, Weiß-Schmuck, Curwen Press Flowers, Klingspor Cocktail-Schmuck, Nebiolo fregi di contorno, Attika borders, English (swelled) rules, Künstler-Linien, an-Schmuck, Primavera-Schmuck.
- Freie Initialen are derived from initials made for the Stempel Garamond series. The type was issued in 1928 in three sizes (36, 48, and 60 pt); the AR version follows the 60-pt design.
- Initiales Grecques, based on Firmin Didot's design, ca. 1800.
- Emil A. Neukomm revivals: Bravo AR (2007; originally 1945).
- Ernst Bentele revivals: Bentele-Unziale (2007).
- Joseph Gillé: Initiales ombrées (2007) is based on Gillé's original all caps face from 1828.
- Maria-Ballé-Initials (2007), after an original font from Bauersche Giesserei.
- Raffia Initials (1952, Henk Krijger): revived by ARTypes in 2008 as Raffia.
- Ornaments 1 AR (2010): from designs from 18th and 19th century typefounders that were ancestors of the Stephenson Blake foundry.
- Ornaments 2 AR (2010): Ornaments 2 contains designs for the Fanfare Press by Berthold Wolpe (1939) and for the Kynoch Press by Tirzah Garwood (ca. 1927).
- Ornaments 3 AR (2010): based on designs by Bernard Naudin for Deberny et Peignot, c. 1924; and ornaments based on designs by Oldrich Menhart, Karel Svolinsky and Jaroslav Slab for the state printing office of Czechoslovakia and Grafotechna.
- Ornaments 4 AR (2010): based on the Amsterdam Apollo and Gracia ornaments and the Amsterdam Crous-Vidal dashes (designed by Crous-Vidal).
- Ornaments 5 AR (2010): based on the Amsterdam Primula ornaments designed by Imre Reiner, 1949.
- Ornaments 6 AR (2010): based on designs for the Curwen Press by Edward Bawden and Percy Smith.
- Yü Bing-nan revival: Freundschafts-Antiqua AR (2010). Freundschafts-Antiqua (which was also called Chinesische Antiqua) was designed in 1962 by the Chinese calligrapher Yü Bing-nan when he was a student at the Hochschule für Grafik und Buchkunst at Leipzig in 1960.
- Sans Serif Inline (2011). Based on the 36-point design of the Amsterdam Nobel Inline capitals (1931).
- Hildegard Korger revivals: Typoskript AR (2010) is based on a metal type which was produced in 1968 by VEB Typoart, Dresden, from a design of the German calligrapher and lettering artist Hildegard Korger.
- Hans Kühne revival: Kuehne-Antiqua AR (2010) revives a Basque face by Hans Kühne.
- The Troyer AR ornaments (2010) are based on the first series of ornaments designed for American Type Founders by Johannes Troyer in 1953.
- The Happy Christmas font (2011) is a snowflake font that is based on designs by Amsterdam and Haas, c. 1950. December Ornaments (011) contains the 36 Amsterdam designs which were originally issued in 24 and 36 point.
- Walter Diethelm: Diethelm AR (2011) revives Walter Diethelm's Diethelm Antiqua (1948-1951, Haas).
- Walter Brudi revivals: Pan AR (2010, based on a 1957 font by Brudi).
- Hermecito (2013) is a 46-style type system based on an angular serif. It covers Cyrillic, Latin, Greek and several other scripts. Besides being eminntly readable, it also has extensive coverage of mathematical and phonetic symbols.
View the typefaces made by Ari Rafaeli / ARTypes.
Google search page
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Astrological fonts ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Ornamental caps typefaces ⦿
Type scene in Illinois ⦿
Type design in the United Kingdom ⦿
Basque fonts ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Snowflake fonts ⦿
Christmas / Season's Fonts ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿
Ronde (Rondo, Rundschrift): Upright scripts ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Mathematics fonts ⦿
Phonetic (IPA) fonts ⦿
Typefaces with arrows ⦿