London, UK, and Athens and Kifissia, Greece-based typefoundry started in 2001 by Panos Vassiliou. It specializes in fine multilingual (usually Latin, Greek and Cyrillic) typeface families. Panos Vassiliou has conducted numerous seminars for Canadian companies such as Bank of Nova Scotia, Royal Bank and Sony Canada. He graduated from the University of Toronto/Canada, where he studied Applied Science and Engineering. He has been Creative Director for the Canadian design firm AdHaus, former Publisher of the monthly magazine DNA (Greece) and Secretary-General for the Hellenic Canadian Congress (Ontario, Canada). He has been designing typefaces since 1993, including commercial fonts as well as commissions from Vodafone, Nestlé, Ikea and National Geographic. He started Parachute in 2001 setting the base for a typeface library that reflected the works of some of the best contemporary Greek designers, as well as creatives around the world obsessed with type. Apart from its commercial line of typefaces, Parachute offers bespoke branding services for corporate typefaces and lettering. Customers include Bank of America, the European Commission, UEFA, Samsung, IKEA, Interbrand, National Geographic, Financial Times, National Bank of Greece, Alpha Bank and many others.
Myfonts link. Behance link.
Other type designers at Parachute include Kanella Arapoglou, Alexandros Papalexis, Dimitris Foussekis, Aggeliki Skandalelli, Helen Gabara, Babis Touglis, Vangelis Karageorgos, George Toumbalis, Eva Karapidaki, Charis Tsevis, Pavlos Levendellis, Panos Vassiliou, and George Lygas.
At Granshan 2010, Vassiliou won Second Prize in the Greek text typeface category for PF Encore Sans POro, and First and Second Prizes in the display typeface category for PF Regal Pro and PF Champion Script Pro, respectively. Typefaces:
- PFAgora Pro: Agora Sans, AgoraSerif, AgoraSlab.
- PF Archive Pro (2004). He received a design award for his typeface Archive at the E AWARDS 2004. It has special typographic features and multilingual support for all European languages including Greek and Cyrillic.
- Bague Universal and Bague Sans (2014). A geometric grotesk that dares to be different. Accompanied by Bague Slab Pro (2014), PF Bague Inline Pro (2014), and PF Bague Round Pro (2014).
- Beau Sans (2011). Inspired by Bernhard Gothic.
- PF Benchmark Pro (2014).
- Bodoni Script (2009).
- PF Brummell (2016). A sans characterized by sharp angled terminals and a diamond dot on the i.
- Bulletin Sans (2000-2005)
- Centro (Centro Sans, Centro Serif, Centro Slab) a typeface originally developed for the redesign of the Financial Times Deutschland. PF Centro Pro family (Sans, Serif, Slab, a trillion styles) won an European Design Award in May 2008 in Stockholm and at Paratype K2009. It was completed by PF Centro Serif Compressed, PF Centro Sans Condensed and PF Centro Sans Compressed in 2015. In 2016, he published PF Centro Slab Press.
- PFChampion Script Pro (2004-2008). A much lauded connected calligraphic script that is based on a calligraphic script by Joseph Champion, 1709-1765. Winner at Paratype K2009 and Granshan 2010. Images: i, ii iii, iv, v. The 4245-glyph family comprises Cyrillic, Latin and Greek subfamilies.
- Cosmonut (sic) (2002). A retro futuristoc typeface made by Dimitris Foussekis.
- PF Das Grotesk Pro (2014). Panos writes: Das Grotesk was inspired by earlier nineteenth-century grotesques, but it is much more related to American gothic designs such as those by M.F. Benton.
- DaVinciScript (2001-2006). A Treefrog-style script typeface by Vassiliou and Dimitris Foussekis.
- PF Dekka (2014). This solid elliptical sans family was influenced by Monaco's outline version called MPW. It includes PF Dekka Mono.
- PF DIN (2010): PF DIN Display (2002-2005), PF DIN Mono, PF DIN Serif (2016; this great serif version of DIN---a first---contains a wealth of goodies: just look at the great weather icons; it won an award at Granshan 2016), PF DIN Stencil Pro (2010), PF DIN Stencil, PF DIN Stencil B (2016), PF DIN Text Pro, PF DIN Text Condensed, PF DIN Text Compressed, PF DIN Text Arabic, and PF DIN Text Universal. With Latin, Cyrillic and Greek coverage, each font has about 1300 glyphs. The designs go back to the the lettering of the Prussian railways around 1900. In 2013, PF Din Text Pro was published.
- Eco Park. A 3d outline face.
- PF Encore Sans (2009). A rich and versatile sans family supporting Greek, Latin and Cyrillic.
- PF Fuel Pro
- PF Fusion Sans (1996-2006)
- PF Garamond Classic.
- PF Goudy Intials and PF Goudy Ornaments. A winner at Paratype K2009.
- PF Handbook (2005-2007, sans family)
- HellenicaSerif. Chiseled look, Greek simulation face.
- PF Highway Sans (2001-2015). Highway Sans Pro is based on the standard typefaces used for highway signs and other byways open to public travel in the United States. These standards were established by the US Federal Highway Administration in 1966 following several studies which were conducted at the California Department of Transportation in the 1940s. It covers Latin, Greek and Cyrillic.
- House Square. A Bank Gothic lookalike.
- PF Isotext (2005). Meant for technical documentation, it is modeled after Isonorm.
- Kids, KidsStuff
- Lindemann and PF Lindemann Sans (2012).
- Mechanica A and B, 2002-2006. Octagonal families.
- PF Mellon (2019). A modernist variable grotesque influenced by nineteenth and early twentieth century condensed sans serif typefaces such as Stephenson Blake's Grotesque No.77 and ATF's Alternate Gothic.
- PF Monumenta (2002-2006). A majestic lapidary roman family.
- Online (One, Two and Three). Pixelish family.
- PF Ornamental Treasures (2008). Byzantine ornaments and borders.
- PF Pixelscript
- Psychedelia (2003, Dimitris Foussekis). A psychedelic typeface.
- Regal Pro and Regal Finesse Pro: Award-winning high fashion display didone families, 2010-2012, originally designed for the Grazia magazine. Awards include Red Dot Awrd 2012, Communication Arts Annual Competition 2012, Creative Review Type Annual 2011, European Design awards 2011, EBGE awards 2011, Granshan Awards 2010.
- PF Reminder Pro (2003). A hand-printed typeface.
- PF Square Sans Pro, PF Square Sans Condensed Pro (2013).
- PF Stamps (2002-2006). A grungy stencil typeface by Panos Vassiliou and George Lygas.
- PF Synch Pro (2006). An industrial strength slab-serif typeface.
- PF UEFA Super Cup (2013).
- PF Uniform
- PF Venue (2017). Semi art deco, and free-spirited, a great poster typeface family.
- PF Wonderbats (2003). Funky and strange animals.
- Wonderland (2006). By Dimitris Foussekis.
Their type blog is called Upscale typography.
Catalog. View all typefaces designed by Parachute.
Klingspor link. MyFonts interview. Behance link.
Klingspor Museum page
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Handwriting fonts ⦿
Pixel/bitmap fonts ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Children's handwriting fonts ⦿
Greek simulation fonts ⦿
Calligraphic typefaces ⦿
Psychedelic types ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
3D fonts ⦿
Treefrog typefaces ⦿
Type blogs ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿
Lapidary typefaces ⦿
Fashion mag typefaces ⦿
Very thin (hairline sans) typefaces ⦿
Map/Travel dingbats ⦿
Soccer typefaces ⦿