Portuguese author of Tipografia: origens, formas e uso das letras (2006, Paulo Heitlinger, Lisbon) and Alfabetos, Caligrafia e Tipografia (2010, Lisbon). Born in Lisbon, he studied nuclear physics in Germany. He lectured on communication design at the Universidade do Algarve. His pages (in Portuguese) are quite complete, with a great glossary, a beautiful section on the history of type, a mag called Cadernos de Tipografia, links to type design in the world in general, and in Brazil, Spain and Portugal in particular, and more general information on type. Font-making how to. Useful timeline of 16th century writing manuals. An absolute must. He has also created or revived a number of typefaces, which can be bought on-line.
An incomplete list of his typefaces:
Bertrand (2008): an art deco face patterened after the shop sign of Livraria Bertrand in Chiado, Lisbon. Rotunda: Visigotica: based on the calligraphic writings of the 10th and 11th centuries. This font has many alternates. Based on scans of a text of the 10th century called Actas de Concilio de Caledonia de 451. Styles: Imperatorum, Isidoro. Typefaces based on the calligraphic work of Francisco Lucas, 1570: Bastarda de Lucas Italic (2009), Bastarda de Lucas (2009), Redondilla de Lucas (2009). Uncialis (2009): a Lombardian type based on a 16th century model of Giralde de Prado. Escolar Portugal (Fino, Forte) and Escolar Brasil are school fonts of the "upright connected script" style that were made in 2008. For more on didactic fonts, read the booklet Caderno de Tipografia e Design Nr. 14 (March 2009).
- Sinalética: A sober serif face for excellent legibility.
- CantoneirosRegular (2008), Cantoneiros-Thin (2008): art deco / avant-garde.
- Transito (2008): the famous 1930s stencil face of Jan Tschichold at Lettergieterij Amsterdam, with reinvented forms for f, g and y. [Note: the pic on the right-hand-side is Transito, as grabbed from Heitlinger's page---the grammatical error is not mine.]
- Sturmblond-Medium (2008): Revival of simple lettering of Herbert Bayer.
- Bayer Condensed: Revival of simple lettering of Herbert Bayer.
- Imperatorum (2008)
- Ratdoldt (2008): a blackletter face made from scans, and attributed to Erhard Ratdolt.
- Valentim (2008): a blackletter face made from scans of the book Vita Christi. Named after Valentim Fernandes, a printer active in Lisbon, ca. 1480-1519.
- Incunabulo Normalizado (2008): a blackletter face made from scans of the book Vita Christi.
- Uhertype-Medium (2007): Revival of another Bauhaus era typeface, by Joost Schmidt.
- Arkitekto: A Bauhaus style piano key font based on an image found in a book of Kurt Weidemann.
- His Spanish collection includes Bastarda de Francisco Lucas, a versão espanhola da Cancelleresca italiana do século XVI. Um ponto alto da Caligrafia del Siglo de Oro.
- Redondilla de Francisco Lucas, a penmanship font based on Arte de Escribir 91577).
- Gótica Rotunda Gans.
- Juan Bravo, based on azulejos (tiles).
- Segovia, a titling font.
- Centauro, a decorative font.
- Kurrsiva, inspired by scripts from the 1960s.
- Deco de Avila, an avant-garde face.
Google search page
Type in Portugal ⦿
Books on type design ⦿
Type magazines/ezines ⦿
History of type ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Calligraphic typefaces ⦿
School fonts ⦿
Bauhaus and type design ⦿
Lombardic types ⦿
Avant Garde typefaces ⦿
Bastarda / Bâtarde / Schwabacher ⦿
Rotunda / Rundgotisch ⦿
Uncial typefaces ⦿