Julia Sysmäläinen Carelian (Juliasys) is a Finnish type designer, who studied at Pekka Halosen Akatemia in Tuusula. She runs her own type foundry, Juliasys. Julia presently lives in Berlin, where she works for Edenspiekermann Berlin.
Julia created these typefaces:
- FF Mister K Pro (2008, FontFont). A winner at Paratype K2009, where it says that the typeface was co-designed by Jürgen Sanides from Germany. This is a digital rendering extraordinaire of Franz Kafka's handwriting. Ivo Grabowitsch writes: This meant not only creating hundreds of ligatures - each of them consisting of two, three or even four single characters - but also integrating numerous alternate characters to avoid successions of repeating shapes, in order to lend FF Mister K Pro a more authentic script feel. Furthermore handy OpenType functions were added, for example for stylistic alternatives including hatched text as well as underlining and crossing out. Eventually three completely different single fonts were developed. Besides the normal cut there's also Crossout, which allows for setting extensively crossed out text and Onstage, which clearly looks more extravagant and wriggly. All foreign languages and features included the standard cut alone contains more than 1,500 glyphs. In 2009, she published FF Mister K Dingbats. FF Mister K Informal (2011) won an award at TDC 2012. FF Mister K Splendid followed in 2014 and Mister K Crossout and Mister K Onstage in 2015.
- In 2012, Julia published the beautiful handwriting font ALS SyysScript at Art Lebedev Studio.
- As Juliasys, Julia Sysmäläinen published the semi-serif Latin / Cyrillic / Greek typeface family Mir (2013) and the handwriting font Emily in White (2014, based on the writing style of American lyricist Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)).
- ALS Finlandia Script (2015, for Art Lebedev Studio).
- ALS Pobeda (2015). A MIG29-themed dot matrix typeface inspired by the Moscow Victory Day Parade commemorating the 70th anniversary of the end of the Second World War.
- Sentres Icons (2015). Designed for Sentres, a tourist portal for South Tyrol. In 2016, she designed the Visit Berlin Icons.
- Josef K Paneuropean, and Josef K Patterns (2015, ornaments based on Kafka's letterforms).
- ALS Scripticus (2013). A blackboard script.
- Colorado (2016). A ribbon type family with several kinds of zebra stripes. Codesigned by Julia Sysmäläinen and Jürgen Sanides, published by Juliasys.
- Optimisti (2016). A smooth thick script typeface.
- Little House Script (2017). A typeface simulating Laura Ingalls Wilder's handwriting.
Klingspor link. FontShop link. Behance link. Another Behance link. Art Lebedev link.
Fontspring link [Buy fonts]
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
The Finnish type scene ⦿
Kafkaesque typefaces ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Handwriting fonts ⦿
Icon fonts ⦿
Pixel/bitmap fonts ⦿
Typefaces that emulate chalk ⦿