Thomas Wood Stevens
Early 20th century designer of letters, who was associated with the Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburgh. Author of Lettering (1916, The Prang Company, New York).
Alphabets from his 1916 book include Art Nouveau Capitals, Italic Capitals, Italic Lowercase, Modern Script Italics, Modern German Italic Capitals, Modern Round Gothic, Uncial (based on a 14th century manuscript), Venetian Modern Capitals, Roman Lowercase, Modern German.
PDF file of his 1916 book.
Digital remakes include Wood Stevens (2012, Intellecta).
In 2012 and 2013, Dick Pape digitized many of the typefaces discussed in Lettering (1916). They are freely downloadable from this site. The typefaces in Dick's collection are attributed as follows:
- No artist: TWS Brush Caps 31, TWS Capitals from Coins 15,
- Harry Lawrence Gage: TWS Heavy Capitals 49, TWS Italian Gothic Caps 80, TWS Renaissance Alphabet 39, TWS Robinson Caps 23, TWS Roman Caps 13, TWS Slab Capitals 22, TWS The Japanese 32 [note: see also Yoshi Toshi, 2003, by Da ABF Mafia, and Yoshitoshi, 2003, by David Nalle].
- Norman P. Hall: TWS Heavy Modern 30.
- Oswald Cooper: TWS Long Ascenders 36.
- Ned Hadley: TWS Modern Caps 24, TWS Modern French 25.
- Helen E. Hartford: TWS Modern German Capitals 28.
- Charles H. Barnard: TWS Modern Roman 05.
- F. G. Cooper: TWS Modern Roman Bold 37.
- William A. Dwiggins: TWS Modern Roman Caps 32, TWS Variation on Georgian.
- Guido Rosa: TWS Outline Caps 21.
- George W. Koch: TWS Roman Wide Pen 33.
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Ornamental caps typefaces ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
Art Nouveau typefaces ⦿
Books on type design ⦿
Type scene in Pennsylvania ⦿
Lombardic types ⦿
Uncial typefaces ⦿
Venetian or antiqua typefaces ⦿
Dick Pape's typefaces ⦿