TYPE DESIGN INFORMATION PAGE last updated on Wed Apr 23 21:59:22 EDT 2014

SEARCH THIS SITE:
IMAGE SEARCH:


Viennese Secession



Written by Luc Devroye
McGill University
Montreal, Canada
lucdevroye@gmail.com
http://luc.devroye.org
Up to main font page
Up to main font index page





The Vienna Secession---also known as the Union of Austrian Artists, or Vereiningung Bildender Künstler Österreichs---was formed in 1897 by a group of Austrian painters, sculptors, and architects who had resigned from the Association of Austrian Artists: Gustav Klimt, Koloman Moser, Josef Hoffmann, Joseph Maria Olbrich, Max Kurzweil, Otto Wagner, and others. The first president of the Secession was Gustav Klimt, and Rudolf von Alt was made honorary president. In 1898, the group's exhibition house was built in the vicinity of Karlsplatz. Designed by Joseph Maria Olbrich, the exhibition building soon became known simply as die Sezession. This building became an icon of the movement.

The secession building displayed art from several other influential (art nouveau) artists such as Max Klinger, Eugene Grasset, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and Arnold Bocklin. Secessionists not mentioned above include Rudolph Bacher, Max Fabiani, Richard Gerstl, Albert Paris von Gütersloh, Oskar Kokoschka, Max Kurzweil, Oskar Laske, Carl Moll, Koloman Moser, Joseph Maria Olbrich, Joze Plecnik, Malva Schalek, Egon Schiele, and Othmar Schimkowitz.

EXTERNAL LINKS
Viennese Secession
MyFonts search
Monotype search
Google search

INTERNAL LINKS
Art Nouveau typefaces ⦿ Type in Austria ⦿








file name: Otto Wagner Art Nouveau Illustration


file name: Oskar Kokoschka Pic


file name: Oskar Kokoschka Pieta 1908


file name: Oskar Kokoschka Wiener Staatsoper 1956



Luc Devroye ⦿ School of Computer Science ⦿ McGill University Montreal, Canada H3A 2K6 ⦿ lucdevroye@gmail.com ⦿ http://luc.devroye.org ⦿ http://luc.devroye.org/fonts.html