Japanese foundry with excellent web pages on early 20-th century type design. Shin Oka, or Shinya Okabe (b. 1976, based in Himeji) created various revival fonts in or just before 2009, many connected in some way to Tom Carnase and the phototype era. He specializes in 1970s and 1980s typefaces, often with open counters and high contrast. His fonts:
Additionally, they identified the fonts on many covers and albums from the 1960s and 1970s. Further revivals of photolettering era fonts:
- Bentley (2010). This is the same as Avant Garde Gothic.
- Bernhard Neo DF (2010).
- Caslon223 DF (after ITC/LSC Caslon 223 by Tom Carnase). Other Caslons include Caslon Headlione DF (2010) and Caslon Swash DF (2010).
- Didot DF (2008).
- Garamond DF (2010).
- Grouch DF (after ITC Grouch by Tom Carnase and Ronne Bonder)
- Lubalin Graph DF (after ITC Luabalin graph by Herb Lubalin, Ed Benguiat, Joe Sundwall, and Tony DiSpigna)
- Busorama DF (after ITC Busorama by Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase)
- L&C Hairline DF (after L&C Hairline by Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase)
They are working on Permanent Massiv (after a 1962 Ludwig&Mayer font by Karlgeorg Hoefer---comparable to Impact or Compacta in its massiveness and masculinity), Michel, Didoni, Tiffany, Ginger Snap, Patriot, Motter Ombra, Pistilli Roman, Benguiat Caslon (a large size display Caslon by Ed Benguiat at PhotoLettering; digitized at House Industries by Christian Schwartz and Bas Smidt), and Via Face Don.
- Baby Teeth (2009): after the art deco typeface of Milton Glaser, 1968, PhotoLettering.
- CBS Didot (2009): after the original by Freeman Craw, 1970s.
- Indigo (2009): after a font by Albert Hollenstein, 1970s.
- Pacella Collegiate (2009): after Vincent Pacella's typeface at PhotoLettering.
- Penny Bee (2009): a Peignot lookalike.
- Tiffany Heavy With Swash (2011). A swashy Didot display face. This type was used by Quentin Tarantino's movie Jackie Brown in 1997. Tiffany Heavy (Ed Benguiat, Photolettering) is basically identical to Benguiat Caslon Swash (1960s) and to Foxy Brown (1974). Similar typefaces include LSC Book with Swash by Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase (ca. 1970).
- Wexford (2009): after the typeface of Richard A. Schlatter, VGC, 1972.
In 2020, Shin Oka released the caslon-sinspired Ivy Ivy, the piano key version of a fat Bodoni, the fashionable Gara Gara, the 1970s font Bern Bern, Super Bodo Bodo, the art deco / Bauhaus typeface Sophi Sophi, the art deco typeface Fifty Four, the fashion mag typeface Rache Rache, the Peignotian sans typeface Mid Mid Sun Sun, and the display didone Fau Fau.
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Very thin (hairline sans) typefaces ⦿
Photo and film type era ⦿
Athletic lettering faces ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Type blogs ⦿
Avant Garde typefaces ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Japanese type design ⦿
Fashion mag typefaces ⦿
Bauhaus and type design ⦿
Piano key typefaces ⦿