Tomi Haaparanta (b. Vaasa, Finland, 1967) is a Finnish type designer and art director. He created many great fonts, and founded Suomi Type Foundry in 2005. Speaker at ATypI 2005 in Helsinki. MyFonts link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. His typefaces, suboptimally grouped:
- Typefaces from 2012: SciFly (a free rounded sans commissioned by Flyerzone).
- Typefaces from 2011: Tow (a headline font family), Grumpy Black (Black 24 is based on the headline face ITC Grouch (1970, Tom Carnase), and the other styles are increasingly of higher contrast).
- Creations in 2010: Tenner (very plump and round, good for signage), Tart Heavy (fat slabs to drool over), That (a display family, +Open, +Irregular, +Bold), Thud (an industrial belt octagonal/mechanical family), Steelworks (a sturdy mechanical sans), Taste This (sans family), Telltale, Titillation (rounded), Tide (connected script emulating ink flow), Taffee (narrow sans), Televisio, Tournedot (a very cute and lively semi-serif headline face), Tempest, Tristan (handprinted), Cider Script, Toffee Script (after an art nouveau face called Regina Cursive). Tonsure Script (a high-contrast connected script), Ticketbook (for movie posters), Suomi Sans (a family with special counters).
- Creations in 2009: Tar (rounded sans family), Marimekko (a slab family for a Finnish clothing company, adapted from its 1954 Olivetti typewriter roots), Vektori (monoline octagonal), Kaapeli (Tomi's take on Kabel), Suomi Slab Serif (related to American Typewriter), Marimekko Sans, Tee Franklin (gothic sans family, made for The British Vogue---check out the light weight), Tobacco (octagonal, based on drawing program emulation), Pannartz (based on a scan of a 1476 text by Sweynheim&Pannartz), Suomi Hand (FontShop), That (4-weight serif family), Talbot (connected script patterned after the Talbot car logo), Taint (modular ink trap face), Tailor (slab serif), Tink, Tale 40, Tale 20, Story 40, Story 20 (all pixel fonts), Tictac (a 3D face), Giro (done on purpose to mimic the ugly Giro d'Italia geometric logo font), Tame (rounded sans), Suomi Script, Explosion (grunge).
- Creations in 2007: Caxton Script (blackletter).
- At ITC: ITC Tetra (2005, squarish face), ITC Tomism (2005, modeled after Church Slavonic), ITC Tyke (2004, a take on Cooper Black).
- At Psy-Ops: Temporal, Torus.
- At T-26: Talmud (1998, faux Hebrew), TyrantRoman (1998, an Exocet-style face, T-26), Tumbler, Torino-Book, Tonic, Terylene, Tension, Teebone, Task-Toobig, Target (2004), Tantalus, Aged (1999), and Taper (2009, slab serif), the experimental sans families Target Recut (2004).
- At FUSE: FutuRoman (FUSE95).
- Tang (2004, an anti-inkbleed sans family done for very small point sizes).
- At Agfa Creative Alliance: Tangerine, Teethreedee, Twinkle.
- With Klaus Haapaniemi and Brian Kaszonyi: the 15-font War family in 1999-2000.
- At Linotype: TeebrushPaint LT Std (2003).
- Game (family).
View Tomi Haaparanta's typefaces.
Suomi Type Foundry
Google search page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
The Finnish type scene ⦿
Cyrillic simulation fonts ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Pixel/bitmap fonts ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
Very thin sans faces ⦿
Experimental type ⦿
Brush script typefaces ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
Handwriting fonts ⦿
Regular as clockwork ⦿
3D fonts ⦿
Horror fonts ⦿
Hebrew simulation fonts ⦿
Art Nouveau typefaces ⦿
Octagonal typefaces ⦿
Signage typefaces ⦿
Fashion mag typefaces ⦿
Cooper Black ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿