Promodesign is a Brazilian graphic design company of Crystian Cruz in Sao Paulo. Crystian Cruz and Beto Shibata used to run the Tipos Maléficos foundry. He is also associated with Agencia Africa. Presently was type director at Africa Propaganda. Alternate URL. Since 1999 he has been working as art director for a major Brazilian magazines and as type consultant for publishing companies and design studios. He specializes in commissioned type design.
He obtained an MA in typeface design from The University of Reading (2009), based on his type family Quartzo, a typeface system for magazines. He lectured at IED Sao Paulo and is currently undertaking a PhD and teaching at the University of Newcastle, Australia. His fonts:
- His award winning vernacular (wall writing or graffiti) font Brasilero (1998). First prize at the Tipografia Brasilis in display typography 2001. Released in 2003 as a free font. In 2009, he was still improving and extending Brasilero to include optional characters with typical mistakes or alternate forms used for graffiti. At ATypI 2009 in Mexico City, he spoke on the Brasilero project.
- Cruz Sans (2002). Designed during a workshop led by Bruno Maag
- Rodan QR (2002). A custom typeface for Quatro Rodas magazine.
- Smoking (2004). A custom design for the headlines of Brazil's VIP magazine to accompany the text typeface Stainless designed by Font Bureau.
- Quartzo (2009) comes in Display, Text, Pocket and Cyrillic sets. Its outlines are slightly "broken" to enhance readability at small sizes for magazines. Also, his use of Opentype features to make barchart and ratings characters is quite clever. It is a complete typeface system for magazines.
- In 2014, Crystian Cruz and Marina Chaccur co-designed the sans custom typeface UOL for the Brazilian internet provider.
- In 2003, Beto Shibata and Crystian Cruz co-designed a beautiful Casa Dings font for the Brazilian home decor monthly magazine Casa Claudia.
- For Nova, the Brazilian version of Cosmopolitan, he designed Nova Dings (2003).
- Acremist (2017, by Crystian Cruz and Milton Trajano) is a free cryptographic font based on glyphs created by Bruno Borges, whoch are in turn based Manual do Escoteiro Mirim, a collection of books for childen published in the 1970s.
Behance link. Speaker at ATypI 2016 in Warsaw.
The Brazilian type scene ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Graffiti fonts ⦿
Readability & Legibility ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Icon fonts ⦿