Wikipedia: The G7
Jan Middendorp initiated the wiki page on type design schools, wisely warning readers that schools that teach typography are not always schools where one can study type design. I am afraid that schools will want to muscle their way onto this list, and I like his original short list a lot, so below I reproduce his master list of "the G7" schools that in 2010 offer specialized degrees in type design. I am ashamed to say that neither my country of birth (Belgium) nor my adopted country (Canada) has any school in this list, but neither do the United States, China, Japan, India or Germany. The G7 has five schools in Europe, and two in Latin America:
Jan also lists type design courses at design colleges and universities.
- Universidad de Buenos Aires, Fac. de Arq. Diseño y Urbanismo (Argentina), directed by Rubén Fontana: Carrera de Especialización en Diseño de Tipografía.
- École Estienne, Paris (France). Professors include Franck Jalleau, Michel Derre, Margaret Gray, Jean-Louis Estève: DSAA Création Typographique.
- Centro de Estudios Gestalt, Veracruz (Mexico). Led by Cristóbal Henestrosa: Maestría en Diseño Tipográfico.
- Koninklijke Academie van Beeldende Kunsten (KABK), The Hague (The Netherlands). Supervised by Jan Willem Stas, and taught by Erik van Blokland, Peter Verheul, and Paul van der Laan (visiting staff includes Frank Blokland, Petr van Blokland, Gerard Unger, Françoise Berserik, Peter Bilak, Christoph Noordzij, Just van Rossum, Fred Smeijers, and Rick Vermeulen): Master of Design Type and Media.
- University of Reading (UK). Led by Gerry Leonidas, and taught by Martin Andrews, James Mosley, Fiona Ross, Michael Twyman, and Gerard Unger: MA in Typeface Design.
- Zürcher Hochschule der Künste (Switzerland). Headed by Rudolf Barmettler, and taught by Hans-Jürg Hunziker, André Baldinger, and Katharine Wolff: CAS Schriftgestaltung, MAS Type Design and Typography.
- ECAL HES-SO, Lausanne (Switzerland). Led by Pierre Fantys and François Rappo: MA Art Direction: Type Design.
Wikipedia: The G7
Studying type design ⦿