German type designer and software expert who offers his fonts for free. He is mostly doing revivals, and started in 2010. His typefaces:
- Neu5Land (2018). Based on the Schmale Erbar Grotesk (Jakob Erbar, 1922ff) that was very popular on signs in the former German Democratic Republic / Deutsche Demokratische Repubik.
- Bstyle (2013). A squarish typeface family, perhaps a revival of Binder Style which Joseph Binder cut for the Stempel foundry ca. 1959.
- Schilder Grotesk (2012). Based on the old handlettered road signs in Karlsruhe.
- ST37K and ST32K (2010). Based on Stahl by Rudolf Koch (1933). Other digital versions of Stahl, but inadquate according to Borchert, include CG Lisbon and Lydian.
- Saarland (2010). Based on hand-lettered typefaces on factory walls and propaganda posters from the 1930th in Germany and Czechia. In this genre, see also Iwan Reschniev (2008, Sebastian Nagel), Teuton (Storm), Stahlbeton (2005, Patric Schwarz), Stahlbetonträger (2008, Nils von Blanc), Urban Constructed (Nils von Blanc) and Nonstop (Jakob Fischer).
- Plakative Grotesk (2010). A geometric poster face. In this style, see also Pilsen Plakat (Dieter Steffmann), Steelfish (Ray Larabie) and Placard MT Condensed. Uwe Borchert added Sturkopf Grotesk in 2013.
- Grabstein Grotesk (2010). A geometric poster face. In this style, see also Iwan Reschniev (2008, Sebastian Nagel), and Teuton (Storm).
- Mops Antiqua (2010). Or Pug Serif. A quaint serif typeface for menus. Similar typefaces include Chesterfield Antique (Alan Meeks), Chelsea (Dieter Steffmann) and Cheboygan (Christine Mauerkirchner and Rainer Grunert Schwalbach).
- Fabrik (2012). A grotesk family based on Beteckna by Johan Mattsson. He calls it a real Deutsche Grotesk of the 1920s, with many influences of Bauhaus like Paul Renner's Bahnhofsfutura (1924), Erbar Grotesk, Drescher Grotesk BT, and Dr. Klein's numbers for the German highways. Similar typefaces include Verlag (Hoefler), Drescher Grotesk (Arno Drescher), and Universalis ADF (by Arkandis).
- Jakob (2010). A grotesk inspired by Jakob Erbar's typeface Erbar Grotesk and the first versions of DIN Fette Engschrift. Similar typefaces include Verlag (Hoefler), Avenir (Adrian Frutiger), Erbar Grotesk (Jakob Erbar), Drescher Grotesk (Arno Drescher), and Universalis ADF (by Arkandis).
- Tattoo U (2012).
- Capitalis Minimalis (2012). A Trajan caps face.
Klingspor link. Abstract Fonts link. Open Font Library link.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
German type scene ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Bauhaus and type design ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Typefaces inspired by the Trajan column in Rome ⦿
Tattoo fonts ⦿