John Wollring (aka Koeiekat), b. Amsterdam, 1943, d. 2017, was passionate about type design. John worked in marketing communications in advertising agencies and at Philips. Bronwyn Holmes explains: His love of fonts came from his work in producing advertising and brochures and his close involvement with printers and printing. He was very aware of the power of typography in communication. He retired in Extremadura to a remote mountainous region. Small villages with little distraction except the very wild and beautiful nature so plenty of time for him to spend on typography.
John Wollring designed these typefaces:
- The tuxedoed art deco typeface Zig Zag ML (2009, based on Zig Zag, a 1972 alphabet by Marcia Loeb). See also ML ZigZag KK (2013). ML Rainbow KK (2013) is identical.
- Monotoon KK (2012, monolined and simple).
- The formal calligraphic typeface Monogram KK (2007, Victorian initials).
- A revival of Modern Fancies (Lewis F. Day) called Fontenay Fancy (2012).
- ML Sunglow KK (2012, ornamental caps).
- HK Display (2012: HK Display KK is a free interpretation of an art deco alphabet designed by Henk Kolkmeyer for a poster for the Veiligheids Museum in Amsterdam).
- Dwiggins Initials KK (1930, an art deco caps typeface based on an unknown sketch by Dwiggins from 1930).
- Obese & Square KK (art deco stencil).
- ML Roxy Initials KK (2012, after Marcia Loeb's Roxy).
- Open Egmont Kapitalen (2013: an interpretation of Sjoerd Hendrik de Roos' Open Egmont Kapitalen also known as Egmont Inline and Egmont Versalien. Based on a 1935 specimen sheet of Lettergieterij Amsterdam and punctuation based on a 1938 specimen sheet of Intertype. Alternates in the lower case b and r based on a 1951 specimen sheet of the Belgian type foundry Plantin).
- EA Sports Covers SC (2013).
- Gotica Moderna KK (2013).
Abstract Fonts link.
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Calligraphic typefaces ⦿
Victorian typefaces ⦿
Ornamental caps typefaces ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
The Spanish type scene ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Dutch type design ⦿