Cyreal is a type foundry with expertise in both Latin and Cyrillic scripts. Its founders are lecturers at the British Higher School of Art and Design in Moscow. They are
- Gayaneh Bagdasaryan. Gayaneh began working as a type designer in ParaType in 1996. She has done cyrillization work at ParaType, Typotheque, Linotype, Bitstream, The Font Bureau, ITC, Berthold and Emigre. Her typeface Red Klin received a TDC2 2000 Award. Her New Letter Gothic won an Award for Excellence in Type Design at the Kyrillitsa 99 International Type Design competition in Moscow, 1999. Gayaneh graduated from the Print Design Department of Moscow State University of Printing Arts (2000), and Ryazan College of Art (1992). Designer in 1999 at Paratype of LetterGothic Baltic, LetterGothic Central European, LetterGothic Cyrillic Asian, LetterGothic Cyrillic International, LetterGothic Cyrillic Old Russian, LetterGothic Multi Lingual, LetterGothic Turkish, LetterGothic Western. She made the Cyrillic version of Licko's Base Nine and Base Twelve families (2003) and of Albert Boton's ITC Eras (called PT ITC Eras). Klin Black (2004, Paratype, decorative caps in the style of Russian fine art ca. 1900) is an original: Red Klin (2005) is inspired by Russian fine art from the beginning of the 20th century---lettering by Sergey Chekhonin (1878-1936), graphic design by El Lissitzky (1890-1941) and the Suprematism painting. Sketch design of the font (under the name Klin) was awarded a TDC2 2000 diploma. Finally, she designed ParaType New Letter Gothic (1999) and ParaType Original Garamond (2000).
- Alexei Vanyashin. Type designer with expertise in Cyrillics. Winner at the Granshan 2010 International Type Design competition with Florian (Second place in the Cyrillic Text Typeface category). He completed the Type&Typography Master Level course in 2010, and studied typography at the Stroganov University of Arts and Industry.
Fontspace link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. Bagdasaryan Gayaneh.
- Cyrillizations: Akzidenz-Grotesk Condensed, AG Book, Apack (Pisa), Base Nine, Charlie, Fedra Sans, Fedra Serif, Filosofia, Greta, Griffith Gothic, Eras (ITC), Lobster (free, 2011, after Pablo Impallari's Lobster), Neuland, Original Garamond, Renault.
- Armenian: Newton Armenian, Pragmatica Armenian, Haykakan Kar.
- Custom: GEO Text, GEO Display.
- Retail: New Letter Gothic, Red Klin, Schmale, Florian.
- Free at Fontsquirrel: Artifika (2011), Brawler (2011), Rationale (done with Olexa Volochay and Vladimir Pavlikov).
- Free fonts at Google Font Directory: Jacques Francois and Jacques Francois Shadow (2012, co-designed with Manvel Shmavonyan, they are revivals of the Enschedé no. 811 type specimen (ca. 1760) by Jacques François Rosart (1714-1774), made for Enschedé Printing House), Artifika (2011, by Yulya Zhdanova and Ivan Petrov), Aubrey (2011, art nouveau by Gayaneh Bagdasaryan), Vidaloka (2011, a didone done by Alexei Vanyashin and Olga Karpushina), Lora (2011, a contemporary serif by Olga Karpushina), Federant (2011, by Olexa Volochay: this revives the Reklameschrift typeface Feder Antiqua by Otto Ludwig Nägele (1911)), Federo (2011, high-contrast sans by Olexa Volochay based on J. Erbar's 1909 font Feder Grotesk), Podkova (2011, slab serif), Wire One (2011, monoline sans by Alexei Vanyashin and Gayaneh Bagdasaryan).
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Armenian fonts ⦿
Type design in Russia ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Eastern European fonts ⦿
Type design in Turkey ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿