Kiev, Ukraine-based type designer who graduated from Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. He was active at Paratype and has recently started cooperating as senior engineer at Typetype with Ivan Gladkikh. His typefaces:
- Journal Sans (2014). This is an update of Anatoly Shchukin's typeface. Paratype writes: The typeface was designed at the Polygraphmash type design bureau in 1940-56 (project headed by Anatoly Shchukin) based on Erbar-Grotesk typeface of Ludwig & Mayer company, 1929 by Jakob Erbar, and on Metro typeface of Mergenthaler Linotype, 1929 by William A. Dwiggins. A sans serif of geometric style. For use for text and display typography. In 2014 designer Olexiy Volochay made some corrections in original digital data and extended character set. The family was rereleased in ParaType in 2014.
- The free web font Federo (2011, Google Font Directory), which is based on J. Erbar's 1909 font Feder Grotesk.
- With Vladimir Pavlikov and Alexei Vanyashin, he co-designed Rationale One (2011, Google Font Directory).
- Federant (2011). This revives the Reklameschrift typeface Feder Antiqua by Otto Ludwig Nägele (1911).
- In 2013, Paratype published Romanovsky. They write: Romanovsky is the font developed on the base of samples from the catalogue of Osip Lehman foundry in Sankt Petersburg. Original Latin design that was used for Romanovsky can be found in Feder Grotesk by Jacob Erbar. Current digital font is not a scanned version of [Ossip] Lehman's samples but newly drawn typeface that differ from the original in many details. Romanovsky is a sans serif typeface with narrow proportions and noticeable contrast. It will be good for headings and display matters. Character set covers languages of Western and Central Europe and Cyrillic based languages. It also contains around 20 ligatures of uppercase letters for the most frequent combinations. Designed by Vasily Biryukov. The bold weight was developed together with Olexa Volochay.
- His contributions at TypeType in 2014 include typefaces such as TT Drugs (2014), which is listed at MyFonts under Ivan Gladkikh, but developed with help from Olexa Volochay, Philipp Nurullin and Nadyr Rakhimov. It also comprises TT Rounds (a basic rounded sans typeface family by Olexa Volochay and Nadyr Rakhimov) and TT Prosto Sans.
- In 2015, at TypeType, he designed TT Squares (octagonal), TT Rounds Condensed (a basic rounded sans typeface family by Olexa Volochay and Nadyr Rakhimov), TT Slabs Condensed, TT Drugs (by Nadyr Rakhimov, Phill Nurullin and Olexa Volochay), and TT Drugs Condensed.
- In 2016 at TypeType: TT Prosto Sans Condensed, TT Squares Condensed, TT Octas (octagonal style, by Olexa Volochay), TT Corals (2016, with Ivan Gladkikh: a humanist sans typeface family), TT Lakes (54 fonts in all; by Olia Leykina and Olexa Volochay), TT Bells (an old style typeface family based om broad nib pens; by Nadyr Rakhimov and Olexa Volochay), TT Chocolates Condensed (by Olexa Volochay), TT Norms (by Nadyr Rakhimov and Olexa Volochay).
- In 2017, Vika Usmanova, Philipp Nurullin, Olexa Volochay and the TypeType Team designed the condensed modular geometric grotesk typeface TT Tunnels. Typefaces from 2017 at TypeType also include TT Polls (modern modular slab serif inspired by American sports graphics; by Olexa Volochay, Tanya Cherkiz and Nadyr Rakhimov). In 2018, Philipp Nurullin, Phill Nurullin, Nadyr Rakhimov, Olexa Volochay and the TypeType Team designed the humanist sans typeface family TT Wellingtons. Volochay's Tyrol (2018) is a revival of Phil Martin's phototype font Innsbruck (1975).
- In 2018, Paratype published Circe Slab (by Alexandra Korolkova and Olexa Volochay).
- Mumbai (2019).
Fontspring link [Buy fonts]
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type design in Ukraine ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿