Jos Buivenga (exljbris; b. Assen, 1965) is the Arnhem-based Dutch artist who designed some of the most popular fonts of 2010-2011. MyFonts interview in 2009. Speaker at ATypI 2010 in Dublin. His oeuvre:
- Anivers (2007). The regular weight is free.
- Calluna (2009). A garalde in 8 styles, one of which is free but the others are not---see Fontsquirrel. Calluna Sans (2010).
- The sans family Delicious (1994-1996). A free face. See also here. He is working on this and DeliciousX.
- Diavlo (2007). A free sharp-edged sans opentype face.
- Fertigo (2006) and Fertigo Pro (2008). A lively organic display text type.
- Fontin (a free miniserifed family).
- His masterpiece from 2010 is the Geotica family, which runs the gamut of art deco styles and includes inline blackboard bold styles.
- Museo (2008, a 5-style slab serif), Museo Sans (2008; 2 free and 8 non-free styles), Museo Sans Rounded (2011), Museo Slab (2009). This is a phenomenally successful typeface in 2010-2012. In 2012, he added Museo Sans Condensed and Museo Cyrillic. Museo Sans Display received five new weights from Hairline to Extra Black in 2014.
- In 2010, Martin Majoor and Jos Buivenga started work on Questa Sans (a typeface with a special y) as part of their Questa project. Questa is a squarish Didot-like font that Jos originally had planned in one display style only. It turned out to be a perfect basis to apply upon Martin's type design philosophy about the form principle of serif and sans. Questa was finished in 2014 and now includes Questa Sans, Questa Serif, Questa Slab and Questa Grande. Fontsquirrel link.
- Tallys (2008). A serif with tall ascenders.
- Tenso (2013). A lively humanist sans family. Tenso Regular is free.
Special Museo posters have been created, such as by Jasmine Lockwood (2012), Laurellie Pacussich (2013) and Larisa Mamanova (2012).
Klingspor link. Old personal home page. Abstract Fonts link.
View Jos Buivenga's typefaces.
Fontspring link [Buy fonts]
Monotype foundry link
Klingspor Museum page
Dutch type design ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Blackboard type ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿
Very thin (hairline sans) typefaces ⦿