This is my own selection of the best free typefaces published in 2016, grouped by category. The list will grow until December 31, 2016.
|Text typefaces: |
- HK Venetian (Alfredo Marco Pradil). A revival of Venetian (+Italic) by Morris Fuller Benton, 1911.
- Avila (Cesar Doreste). A forceful text typeface with some didone features and lots of personality.
|Sans typefaces: |
- LSTK Dayfly (Constantin Demner, Studio Elastik).
- Fuji Sans (Mathieu Desjardins).
- Gilroy (Radomir Tikov). A free weight of a geometric commercial family.
- Libre Franklin (Pablo Impallari and Rodrigo Fuenzalida). A revival of Morris Fuller Benton's 1912 classic, Franklin Gothic. Created in 2015, it was only published in 2016 at Google Fonts.
- Pupa (Gabrielius Mackevicius).
- Mosk (Iulian Maftei).
- Pangram (Mathieu Desjardins). A phenomenal geometric sans family---free for personal use.
|Type systems: |
- Libertinus (Khaled Hosny). A large font family for the math world now maintained by Khaled Hosny.
|Art deco typefaces: |
|Hipster typefaces: |
|Script typefaces: |
|Sketched, Layered or Poster typefaces: |
|Blackletter typefaces: |
- Missaali (Tommi Syrjänen). A textura based on the Missale Aboense from 1488. Complete with all abbreviations and alternate forms for historical accuracy.
- Rakkas (Zeynep Akay, Google Fonts). It also covers Arabic in a style inspired by Ruq'ah lettering on Egyptian movie posters from the 50s and 60s.
|Dingbats and ornaments: |
- Open Commons Linz (or OCL) (Manuel Radde and Igor Labudovic). A set of multiline icons and corresponding fonts developed for the city of Linz in Austria.
|Garalde typefaces: |
|Display typefaces: |
|Slab serif typefaces: |
- Napo (Isabella Ahmadzadeh, Zetafonts). Well, this is only partly free.
|Programming Fonts: |
- Go and Go Mono (Kris Holmes and Charles Bigelow).
|Wood type revivals: |
|Letterpress emulation: |
|Didone typefaces: |
|Fashion mag typefaces: |
|Stencil typefaces: |
|Multilingual typefaces: |
- Ossem (Kiril Semkov and Typedepot).
- Lalezar (Borna Izadpanah). A Farsi / Latin typeface modeled after the lettering of old Farsi / Hollywood movies.
- Kawkab Mono (Abdullah Arif).
- Phenomena (Plamen Motev, Fontfabric). Covering Latin and Cyrillic.
- Diab Orient (Diab Jaser). For Arabic and 31 other languages, in 8 weights, and 24,000+ glyphs in all.
|Wonderful, adorable, refreshing typefaces: |