[Paul James Miller]
Sheffield, UK-based electronics engineer who works on CAD systems both mechanical and electrobic. An ardent supporter of the open source paradigm, he works for the NHS. Designer of these free fonts:
- Balgruf (2020). A decorative typeface, inspired by the Skyrim game.
- Daniel Jaques (2019). He writes: This is a free decorative display font for signage and advertising.
- Cadman (2017-2018). An informal sans typeface designed for people with dyslexia that started out from SIL's Andika but was altered to include all the tips for legibility from the book Reading Letters by Sofie Beier. An outgrowth of Cadman is Bainsley.
- Kelvinch (2013-2016). Miller's first font. A free modified version of Gentium Book Basic. The Greek alphabet was ripped from Gentium Plus and then heavily modified. See also Kelvinch Italic.
- Munson (2017). A semi-Clarendon in four styles. He writes: There was a typeface by a company called Stephenson Blake Co. in Sheffield. This typeface was made around 1815 and was called Consort. It was a bracketed slab serif face with ball terminals where appropriate. I have obtained scanned documents and typeface samples from that era which depict the Consort typeface and I have attempted to re-create the look and style of that typeface in a modern font. I have photographs of an incomplete set of the Consort typeface, I have filled in the gaps and some of the characters in the Consort typeface were not to my liking so I have designed Munson according to my own aesthetic preferences and with a great deal of artistic license. There is also much of Clarendon in Munson. The Clarendon typeface was first made by Robert Besley in London in 1845 and is particularly well known. Munson is an amalgamation of all these influences, a sort of hybrid between the Consort and Clarendon with some of my own influence thrown in for good measure.
- Typey McTypeface (2015). An adaptation of Dieter Steffmann's Chelsea (1995). He writes: A good font for Arctic sailors.
- Bainsley (2020-2021). A sans leaning towards a serif, with supoort for Greek, Cyrillic and Armenian. It is free but the download button at Localfonts does not work.
- Wigner's Friend (2021). A single style slab serif.
Fontsquirrel link. Devian Tart link. Localfonts link. Wordpress link.
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Type design in the United Kingdom ⦿
Mathematics fonts ⦿
Typefaces for dyslexics ⦿
Open source fonts ⦿
Armenian fonts ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿