Flavia Zimbardi is a type designer and visual artist from Rio de Janeiro, based in Berlin. From 2005 to 2013 she worked for some of the leading magazines in Brazil. Flavia is a graduate of the Type@Cooper Extended Program at the Cooper Union, class of 2017. In 2018, she started Zimbardi Calomino together with Caetano Calomino, and in 2020 she co-founded Undercase Type with Phaedra Charles in Brooklyn, NY. Her typefaces:
- Her graduation project, Lygia. It was awarded by the Type Directors Club and at Tipos Latinos 2018. Released in 2019 by Future Fonts, she writes: Lygia explores the duality of sharp and round forms with stylish cues and historical references from 16th-century masterpieces by Robert Granjon to the geometric approach of W.A. Dwiggins. An homage to Brazilian neo-concrete artist Lygia Clark, originally designed in 2017 as Flavia Zimbardi's degree project for the Type@Cooper extended program in New York. Lygia is a variable font with a weight axis. After Type@Cooper, Flavia settled in Berlin, Germany. In 2021, she released the companion typeface family Lygia Sans.
- The piano key typeface Joschmi Regular (2018). An Adobe Originals font designed as part of an effort to revive Bauhaus treasures, and named after Joost Schmidt.
- In 2018, using a speed stroke technique, Caetano Calomino developed the signpainter font ZC Casual together with Flavia. It was re-released at Undercase in 2020.
- In 2020, Phaedra Charles and Flavia Zimbardi co-designed the free decorative text typeface Fraunces at Undercase Type. Google Fonts link for Fraunces.
- At Lost Type and Undercase Type, Phaedra Charles, Kelly Thorn, and Flavia Zimbardi published the chunky art nouveau typeface Regina Black (2020).
Future Fonts link. Older Future Fonts link.
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
The Brazilian type scene ⦿
Bauhaus and type design ⦿
Piano key typefaces ⦿
Type scene in New York ⦿
Art Nouveau typefaces ⦿
Variable fonts ⦿
German type scene ⦿