Austrian graphic designer (b. 1927, Austria, d. 2010, Hard, near Bregenz) who set up Vorarlberger Graphik Studio in 1951 in the town of Hard am Bodensee (Lake Constance) after graduating in 1950 from a graphic arts academy in Vienna. He specialized in poster design, and in the late 1960s, early 1970s, he turned to logo and type design. Picture. His typefaces:
Linotype link. FontShop link.
- At Berthold and Letraset, he made his first set of typefaces, all phototypes: Motter Tektura (1975; used for the original Apple logo and the corporate typeface for Reebok; see also the free FontStruct font by Gene Buban called Motternasl (2011)), Motter Ombra (1972, a famous and popular psychedelic face; for revivals or extensions, see Zombra EyeFS (2013) by Antonio J. Morata), Motter Alustyle (1972; revival by Steve Harrison in 2019), Motter Femina (early 1970s, a headline face), and Motter Dombra (2014, Zhalgas Kassymkulov). MotterFemD (URW, 1994) is a clone of Motter Femina.
- ITC: ITC Motter Sparta (1997), ITC Motter Corpus Bold. ITC Motter Corpus (1993, + Condensed) was turned by Adobe staff into a multiple master family. A free outlined typeface based on ITC Motter Corpus is Nick Curtis's Toyland NF.
- Fontshop: FF Motter Festival (2000).
- At Motter Design, in chronological order: Motter Danubia, Motter Ornata (psychedelic), Motter Ductus, Motter Forte, Motter Ferrum (octagonal), Motter Austriana, Motter Bodan, Motter Alustyle, Motter Sans Book, Motter Neo-Tech (fat octagonal), Motter Teak, Motter Tektura, Motter Factum (1998), Motter Air (2009, techno, by Siegmund Motter).
- At Motter Fonts: Motter Ombra, Motter Factum, Motter Femina, ITC Motter Sparta, Motter Regatta (1999), Motter Air, ITC Motter Corpus, Motter Bregenz (1970), Motter Pretiosa (1990), and Motter Festival (2000).
The web site Motter Fonts is managed by Othmar's grandchildren, Peter and Siegmund. An excerpt from his obituary at FontShop: Motter was the first Austrian designer who managed to establish his type designs on the international scene. In the early 70s four of his headline typefaces were produced by Berthold and Letraset: the striking ornate display sans Motter Ombra; the aforementioned Motter Tektura, a constructed sans; the striking geometric all lowercase typeface Motter Alustyle; and the curvaceous bold display script Motter Femina. In the following years the all-round graphic designer interrupted his type design activities, profiling himself through international assignments as a logo designer, winning several competitions.
View Othmar Motter's typefaces.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type in Austria ⦿
Photo and film type era ⦿
Psychedelic types ⦿
Octagonal typefaces ⦿