[Marc Jones Barry Kimbrough]
Photolettering foundry run by Marc Jones Barry Kimbrough in Culver City, CA. Russell Bean worked for the Los Angeles studio of Lettergraphics International in charge of lettering, logo design and converting type designs to film fonts. It was at this time (1973) that the Washington family (digital version at Type Associates, Russell Bean's present company) was completed. The company ceased operations in the mid-1980s.
The 1968 catalog of Lettergraphics featured typefaces like the psychedelic Mod Poster in Alfred Roller's Viennese secession style. The 1974 catalog of Lettergraphics shown in ULC 1974 includes these typefaces:
- House styles: Virginia, Vantage, Grading, Joe, Heritage, Chaparral, Radius, Nectar, JoJo, Dojo, Harvey, Spatz, Mamoru, Wellington, Sebastian, Belden, Parquet, Della, Nippy, Hess, Totemic, Ruby, Big Fat, Simoes Classic, Serendipity, Kiwi, Angelo, Bethany, Right-On Neon, Klein Lined, McGrath, Fitzner Caps, Skidoo Outline, Plastic.
- By Joseph Churchward: Twenties, Churchward Sans, Churchward Roman, Churchward Lined.
- By Marlene Steen: Steen Sans.
- By Michael Di Canzio: Di Canzio Sans.
- By Donald Carboni: Carboni.
- By Patrick Collins: Arlenette.
- By Edston J. Detrich: Detrich Sans.
- By Martha A. Rowland: Rowland Grotesk.
- By John E. Lorish: Lorish Shadow.
- By Alfted Guerra: Times Square.
- By Reynolds M. Roberts: Roberts Square.
- By Peter Solly: Colescombe.
- By Robert F. Brightman: Streak, Brightman.
- By Robert L. Cooley: La Grange, La Grange Black.
- By Herbert L. Frager: Frager Punch.
- By Anthony Liliefeldt: Padua.
- Ray L. Herness: Herness Script.
- Robert E. Gotsch: Botsch Glob, Botsch Toe.
- Donald L. Vernon: Chrome.
- Latitude Sans (2019, Stiggy & Sands). A heavy sans based on Lettergraphics' Free.
- Mushmouth PB (2019, Phil Bracco). A revival of the comic book font Albert.
- Nudity PB (2018, Phil Bracco) revives Ad Shadow as a layerable font.
- Wintermint (2018, Phil Bracco) revives and extends the flared almost psychedelic typeface Lori.
- Boilermaker (2018, Stiggy&Sands) is a revival of the tall condensed sans LetterGraphics typeface Flair G100.
- The psychedelic (art nouveau inspired) typeface called Cantini (1972) was digitally revived and expanded by Patrick Griffin as Salome (2007, Canada Type).
- Intrigue is a Lettergraphics film typeface that was digitized, revived and expanded to a large octagonal / mechanical typeface family, Contraption, by Phil Bracco (Pink Broccoli).
- Scrwby (2013, Phil Bracco) is a revival of Surf.
- Virginia (2008, Russell Bean) is a digitization of an old avant garde typeface by Bean himself from ca. 1970 that won a Lettergraphics typeface competition. It was extended by two weights and redrawn in 2016 as Virginia Neo.
- Rebecca Alaccari (Canada Type) designed Goudy Two Shoes in 2006, an expansion of the film typeface Goudy Fancy by Lettergraphics.
- Good Grief PB (2015, Phil Bracco) started out as a revival of Carmel (or Karmel).
- MardiKrewePB (2015, Phil Bracco) started as a digitization of a (psychedelic) film typeface called MardiGras by Lettergraphics.
- Maile was digitized and extended by Stiggy & Sands as Husk in 2018.
- Gene Eidy's Sukiyaki (1968, Lettergraphics) was eventually digitized (without permission) by Jonathan Smith as Hirosh (1993). In 2020, Steve Harrison did a proper digital revival giving full credit to Eidy---his free typeface is also called Sukiyaki.
- Laurel was revived and extended/modified by Stiggy & Sands in 2019 as Lorette.
- Rackem PB (2019, Phil Bracco) is a beatnik font that started as a digitization of the LetterGraphics film typeface Eightball. There are other Eightball film fonts of a very different look elsewhere, so that name is a bit confusing.
- The bullethole typeface Circue Solid was revived by Phil Bracco as Blackhole PB (2019).
- Wood Grotesk. This font was revived and expanded in 2020 by Stiggy & Sands as Bugleboy. Berkshire Pro (a plump display typeface).
- Caren. A great stencil font revived in 2021 by astigmatic One Eye as Rinzler AOE Pro.
Photo and film type era ⦿
Extinct 20th century foundries ⦿
Type scene in California ⦿
Art Nouveau typefaces ⦿
Psychedelic types ⦿
Avant Garde typefaces ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿