British type designer and art director, born in 1940 (MyFonts.com says 1945, Warwickshire), who was type director at Letraset for some time. In 1980 he became Type Director for Esselte Letraset. In 1995 Brignall moved to ITC. With the closure of ITC's New York office in November 1999, Brignall was re-appointed Type Director for Esselte Letraset. The latest major project in which Brignall was involved was the ITC Johnston series launched in 1999. He received the Type Directors Club Medal at TDC2 in 2001. The Letraset and ITC collections are now owned (via Linotype) by Monotype.
Bio. Bio at Linotype. His fonts include
- Aachen Bold (1967, Letraset), Aachen Medium (1977, an extension done with Alan Meeks). Digital implementations of Aachen: Aachen (ITC), Aachen (Tilde), Aachen (Adobe), Neue Aachen (ITC), Aachen SH (Scangraphic Digital Type Collection), Aachen SB (Scangraphic Digital Type Collection). In 2012, Jim Wasco (Monotype) extended Aachen to 18 fonts including an italic, called Neue Aachen. Aachen is characterized by short slab serifs, which gives it a retro techno look.
- Revue (1969), an unsuccessful display face.
- Countdown (1965, LED simulation face), cyrillicized in 1993 by A. Kustov at TypeMarket.
- Superstar (1970, an athletic lettering typeface now owned by ITC and sold by MyFonts).
- Italia (1974; see Istria on the SoftMaker MegaFont XXL CD, 2002), Italia Book (1977). Influenced by the Venetian style.
- Premier Lightline (1969), an elegant art deco hairline face.
- Premier Shaded (1970), caps only shaded art deco face.
- Romic Light (1979-1980). See R790 Roman on Softmaker's XXL CD (2002).
- Corinthian (1981).
- Epokha (1992), a 1910 poster style slab serif.
- Edwardian (1983). The digital version is at Elsner&Flake, for example.
- Harlow (1977-1979), a fifties style display script. The Scangraphic versions are Harlow SB and Harlow SH. Harlow Solid was revived by Felipe Calderon as Melts Script (2017, more an interpretation than a revival). For other digital versions, see HarlowICG (Image Club Graphics), Harlow (ITC), HarlowD (URW), OPTI Hastings (Castcraft), H652 Script (SoftMaker), and Harrogate (SoftMaker).
- Octopuss (1970), similar to Harlow.
- Tango (1974) [a freefont inspired by Tango can be found in Julius B. Thyssen's Kylie 1996-J], yet another typeface in the spirit of Harlow.
- Jenson Old Style (1982, with Freda Sack), a Venetian face.
- Victorian (1976, with Freda Sack).
- Type Embellishments One, Two and Three (1994): handsome ornaments developed in the Letraset Type Studio by Michael Gills and Colin Brignall to complement the Fontek Typeface Library.
- Retro Bold (1992, a slab serif done with Andrew Smith).
- ITC Werkstatt (1999, ITC: a hookish Preissig-style typeface developed with Satwinder Sehmi).
FontShop link. Klingspor link.
View Colin Brignall's typefaces.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Athletic lettering faces ⦿
Pixel/bitmap fonts ⦿
Very thin (hairline sans) typefaces ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Type design in the United Kingdom ⦿
Victorian typefaces ⦿
LED / LCD fonts ⦿
Venetian or antiqua typefaces ⦿