Rian Hughes studied at the LCP in London before working for an advertising agency, i-D magazine, and a series of record sleeve design companies. Under the name Device he now provides design and illustration for the advertising, entertainment, publishing, and media industries. He works from Richmond, UK, as a comic book artist, letterer and typefounder---his foundry is called Device. He creates mostly display type. List of fonts. Interview. Review by Yves Peters. Monotype Imaging page. Interview by Die Gestalten. Various (overlapping) font listings, still unorganized.
- Dingbats: Pic_Format, Mastertext Symbols, MacDings, RiansDingbats, Autofont.
- FontFont fonts: Identification (1993), Revolver, Rian's Dingbats, LustaOneSixtySans, Knobcheese, CrashBangWallop, and Outlander.
- [T-26] fonts: English Grotesque (1998), Data90 (2003; a free FontStruct typeface that is virtually identical to Data90 is Bitrate by Kummaeno (2010)), Flak Heavy (2003, stencil), Flak (2003, stencil), Freeman (2003), Klaxon (2003, kitchen tile font), Cordite, Substation (2003), September (2003), West Way (2003), Egret (2003), Paralucent Complete (2003), Paralucent Condensed, Paralucent Stencil (2003), Mercano Empire (2003), Iconics (2003), Cantaloupe (2003), Gravel (2003), Acton (blocky screen font, 2002), Ainsdale, Amorpheus, Anytime Now (alarm dingbats), Bingo, Blackcurrant (Blackcurrant Cameo (1997) is free), Bordello, Elektron, Haulage (U-Haul lettering, 2002), WexfordOakley, Telecast, Terrazzo, Transit, Untitled, Scrotnig, Skylab (2002), Silesia (1993), SlackCasual, Ritafurey, Reasonist-Medium, Regulator, GameOver, Novak, Quagmire, PicFormat, Jakita Wide (2000, techno font), Metropol-Noir, Motorcity, Mastertext, Mystique (2002), MacDings, Lusta, Laydeez, Sinclair, Paralucent (sans serif), Judgement, Bullroller, Zinger (a fifties font), Citrus (2002), Popgod (2003), Range (2000, a futuristic font), Hounslow, Jemima, Griffin, GranTurismo, Gargoyle, Foonky, DoomPlatoon, Darkside ("remixed" by FontStructor Kummaeno in his Ubangi (2011)), Kallisto (2010), Kallisto Lined (2010), Cyberdelic, Contour, and the very original Stadia Outline family (Stadia is a kitchen tile font).
- List of all fonts by Rian Hughes, as of 2004: Acton, Ainsdale, Amorpheus, Anytime Now, Bingo, Blackcurrant, Bordello, Bull Roller, Chascarillo, Contour, Cottingley (1992), FF CrashBangWallop, Cyberdelic, Darkside, Data90, Doom Platoon (1996), Elektron, English Grotesque, Flak, Foonky, Freeman, Game Over, Gargoyle, Gran Turismo, Griffin, Haulage, Hounslow, Iconics, FF Identification, Jakita, Jemima, Judgement, FF Knobcheese, Laydeez Nite, Lusta (big family), Mac Dings, Mastertext, Men Swear, Metropol Noir, Motorcity, Mystique, Novak, FF Outlander, Paralucent, Pic Format, Platinum, Quagmire, Range, Reasonist, Register (A and B), Regulator, FF Revolver, FF Rian's Dingbats, Ritafurey, Scrotnig, September, Silesia, Sinclair, Skylab, Slack Casual, Space Cadet, Stadia, Substation, Telecast, Terrazzo, Transmat, Untitled One, Vertex, Westway, Wexford Oakley, Why Two Kay, Zinger.
- At Veer, in 2005, these Device fonts were published: Gentry, Gridlocker, Valise Montreal, Custard, Box Office (moviemaking letters), Sparrowhawk, Monitor, Moonstone, Miserichordia, Yolanda (a great playful medieval text typeface in three styles: Duchess, Princess, Countess), Gusto, Dauphine, Rogue, Ritafurey, Dynasty, Radiogram, Xenotype, Roadkill (grunge), Payload (stencil family comprising Regular, Outline, Spraycan, Narrow, Narrow Outline, Wide, Wide Outline), Catseye, Electrasonic, Absinthe (psychedelic style), Straker, and Chantal (brush).
- In 2006, Veer added these: Profumo, Ironbridge, Cheapside, Battery Park (grunge), Forge, Shenzhen Industrial, Hawksmoor (grunge), Coldharbour Gothic, Wormwood Gothic (grunge), Chase (grunge), Diecast, Roadkill Heavy, Tinderbox (fuzzy blackletter), Dazzle (multiline face), Nightclubber (art deco), Klickclack (2005, comic book or cartoon caper typeface), Vanilla (art deco), Wear it's at (grunge), Diecast, Drexler, Box Office (movie icon font).
- Fonts from 2007: DF Conselheiro (2007, grunge), DF Glitterati (2007), Indy Italic (script), DF Apocrypha (2006, rough outline), DF Quartertone (2007), DF Lagos (2007, rough stencil), DF Pulp Action, DF Reliquary #17 (2006, grunge didone), DF Dukane (2007, octagonal grunge), DF Strand (2007, striped stencil), DF Rocketship from Infinity (2006, futuristic), DF Appointment with Danger (2006), DF Las Perdidas (2006, grunge stencil), DF Kelly Twenty (2007, grunge stencil), DF Heretic, DF Roadkill, DF Ironbridge, DF Forge, DF Shenzhen Industrial, DF Hawksmoor, DF Cheapside, DF Battery Park, DF Saintbride, DF Profumo, DF Coldharbour Gothic, DF Wormwood Gothic, DF Tinderbox, DF Flickclack, DF Vanilla (multiline art deco face), DF Chase, DF Nighclubber (art deco jazz club face), DF Diecast, DF Dazzla, DF Zond Diktat (grunge), DF Yellow Perforated, DF Mulgrave (grunge), DF Ministry B, DF Ministry A (with a hairline weight), DF Gridlocker, DF Gentry, DF Valise Montréal (grunge), DF Custard, DF Box Office, DF Roadkill, DF Payload Wide, DF Payload Narrow, DF Catseye Narrow, DF Catseye, DF Yolanda, DF Xenotype, DF Telstar, DF Straker, DF Sparrowhawk, DF Rogue Serif, DF Rogue Sans Extended, DF Rogue Sans Condensed, DF Rogue Sans, DF Ritafurey B, DF Ritafurey A, DF Radiogram, DF Pitshanger, DF Payload (stencil), DF Outlander Nova, DF Moonstone, DF Monitor, DF Miserichordia, DF Interceptor, DF Gusto, DF Glitterati, DF Galicia (2004), DF Galaxie, DF Electrasonic, DF Dynasty B, DF Dynasty A, DF Drexler, DF Dauphine, DF Chantal, DF Absinthe, DF Register Wide B, DF Register Wide A, DF Register B, DF Register A, DF Quagmire B, DF Cordoba (2007, grunge), Mellotron (2004, stencil), Seabright Monument (2007), Charger (2007, grunge).
- T-26 releases in 2007: Klickclack, Hawksmoor (grunge), Heretic, Ironbridge (old letter simulation), Battery Park (grunge), Chase (grunge), Cheapside (grunge), Dazzle (multiline art deco), Diecast (grunge), and Forge (grunge).
- T-26 releases in 2008: Automoto (fat multiline deco face), Straker (organic). Also from 2008: Mission Sinister (grunge), Gonzalez (grunge).
- FontBros release in 2009: Filmotype Modern. Other Filmotype series fonts include Filmotype Miner (2012), Filmotype Manchester (2012), Filmotype Meredith (2012), Filmotype Marlette (2012), Filmotype Mansfield (2012), Filmotype Power (2012) and Filmotype Major (2012: this is based on a typeface used as the titling font for the popular children's book by Dr. Seuss entitled One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, 1960). Other 2009 fonts: Degradation (grunge).
- Creations in 2010: Pod (2010, fat round stencil), Korolev (2010, a 20-style monoline sans family based on communist propaganda from 1937), DF Agent of the Uncanny (2010, brush face), DF Destination Unknown (2010, Kafkaesque brush), DF Maraschino Black (a sleek, sophisticated high-contrast swash capital font).
- Creations in 2011: DF Capitol Skyline, DF Capitol Skyline Underline and DF Capitol Skyline Capitals (a multi-weight all-caps pair that epitomizes Streamline Moderne), DF Korolev (a 20-weight sans serif family based on lettering by an anonymous Soviet graphic designer who did the propaganda displays at the Communist Red Square parade in 1937. Named in honor of Sergey Pavlovich Korolyov, or Korolev, considered to be the father of practical astronomics). In 2018, Korolev was expanded to Korolev Rounded and Korolev Rough.
- Typefaces from 2012: Ember (informal script), Kane (based on the Batman logo), Glimmer Glossy, Glimmer Mate, Galleria (avant-garde caps), Clique (flared sans).
- Typefaces from 2013: Wulf Utility (grungy), Charterhouse (an aggressive black sans), Filmotype Melon (after a 1959 original, this is an offbeat Googie era doo-wop typeface), Filmotype Melody (similar to Melon), Filmotype Mellow (also similar to Melon), Raw (worn wood type), Cadogan (a rhythmic connected script), Whiphand (brush face), Steed (heavy codensed masculine sans inspired by the titles of the Avengers TV show), State Stencil (Clean and Rough: in the style of Futura Black), Korolev Military Stencil (named after Sergei Korolev, father of Soviet astronautics, and based on signs from the Red Army parade of 1932), Armstrong (a 1950s automobile font).
- Typefaces from 2015: 112 Hours (numerals font).
- Typefaces from 2016: Typex (an angular yet rounded monospaced typewriter or OCR-style typeface based on the lettering used on Alan Turing's and Tutte's famous code-breaking machine at Bletchley Park, the Bombe, and the subsequent British answer to the German Enigma machine, the Typex), Serenity (a legible sans family).
- Typefaces from 2017: Pitch (a heavy block sans in chrome and solid variants), Shard (originally commissioned for Nickelodeon's 3D reboot of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise), Championship Inline, Mood (a great liquid deco font), Grange, Grange Rough, Dazzle Unicase, Urbane (sans), Urbane Rounded, Albiona (a modern take on Clarendon; includes Albiona Heavy Stencil), Albiona Soft (a rounded version of Albiona), Pact (a modular geometric font).
- Typefaces from 2018: Rutherford, Salvation (a potato cut font), Kano (inspired by the work of Dutch furniture designer and architect Gerrit Rietveld, one of the principal members of the Dutch artistic movement De Stijl), Rogue Sans Nova, Fairtrade (rough-edged font), Goddess (Victoriana), Neuropa (a five-weight semi-extended sans that projects a muscular corporate authority), Worthington Arcade (a caps-only lapidary typeface), Zeno (a piano key stencil typeface), Vektra (an experimental crosshatch-textured typeface), Recon (a quartz display font), Kinesis (Kinesis is inspired by the work of Dutch furniture designer and architect Gerrit Rietveld, one of the principal members of the Dutch artistic movement De Stijl. It is a modular headline font, constructed from white, black and grey overlapping rectangles), Freehouse (Freehouse is a reinterpretation of the well-remembered Watney's logo, a brewery and pub chain infamous for its poor quality beer and brutalist decor.), Zipline (a great multiline typeface), Argent Sans, Craska (a multiline font), Panther Black, Carilliantine (art nouveau with many interlocking letter pairs), Regulator Nova, Broadside, Bubblegum Pop, Heft (a heavy slab serif), Faction (stencil style), Metaluna (techno, engineering), Magnetron (futuristic), Urbane Rough, Urbane Adscript (a monoline semi-linking sans), Revolver (original from 1992), Albiona Inked (a Clarendon).
- Typefaces from 2019: Gerson Rand, Gravesend Sans (an all caps sans family based on the unique typeface used for the iconic grass-green signage for the now-defunct Southern Railway in England).
- Other: Customised Foonky Starred, Altoona, DfAncestorITC, DfAttitudesPlain, HotRod (2002).
FontShop link. Klingspor link.
Klingspor Museum page
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Pixel/bitmap fonts ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Morse fonts ⦿
Kitchen tile fonts ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Very thin (hairline sans) typefaces ⦿
Brush script typefaces ⦿
Psychedelic types ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Type design in the United Kingdom ⦿
Typefaces related to radio ⦿
Sci-Fi fonts ⦿
Kafkaesque typefaces ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Comic/cartoon fonts ⦿
Brush script typefaces ⦿
Avant Garde typefaces ⦿
Wood Type ⦿
Military typefaces ⦿
Monospaced fonts ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
OCR fonts ⦿
Bubblegum typefaces ⦿
Art Nouveau typefaces ⦿
De Stijl and type design ⦿
Textured typefaces ⦿
LED / LCD fonts ⦿
Lapidary typefaces ⦿
Piano key typefaces ⦿
Potato cut printing ⦿