Letters from Sweden
Göran Söderström (b. 1974) is based in Stockholm and has been designing typefaces since 2006. He worked at Gernandt and started Autodidakt (MyFonts link). Fountain sold many of his typefaces. Behance link. Interview in 2010. In 2011, he set up Letters from Sweden with and Fredrik Andersson. Fredrik is no longer associated with it though. His fonts, now all at Letters From Sweden:
- The beautiful understated modern Neptuna sans family, on which he has worked for 14 years. This font eventually became Exemplar Pro (1996-2008, PsyOps).
- Autostyler (2006). A free comic book style face.
- Trentor (2006): octagonal and bi-lined. This is accompanied by Trentor Script (2006, octagonal).
- Shabash (2008). Shabash is rooted in an identity design project for Kashmir, an Indian restaurant in Stockholm.
- Navelfluff (2008, grunge).
- Flieger (2006-2007). A great grid-based connected retro script at Fountain. The accompanying Flieger Dingbats were by Lotta Bruhn.
- Meadow (2009). A rounded sans family at Fountain.
- In 2009, Göran Söderström and Peter Bruhn published Trailering Heroine, which was inspired by the typeface Windsor, designed by Eleisha Pechey in 1905. Windsor is the typeface used in the titles of many Woody Allen movies. The 9-style family Heroine was published at Fountain.
- SEB Basic is the new sans type family for Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB (2009).
- The Satura Suite (2010, with Peter Bruhn). A versatile set of fonts from sans to zwans: Satura Pro, Satura Parts, Satura Text (elliptical), Satura Core.
- Meadow Pro (2009-2010) and Meadow Pro Condensed (2010). A strong headline sans family, done at Fountain.
- FF Dagny (2009). FF Dagny OT Thin is free! This family was created with O. Nordling.
- LFS Siri (2011, Letters from Sweden) is a variable contrast humanist sans family.
- Trim (2012). A large x-height sans family whose letters were squeezed through a narrow door. In 2014, he published Trim Mono, which is advertized at once as a programming and a typewriter font. The sans family Trim (2017) is influenced by the style of Knud V. Engelhardt, who used to trim away unnecessary elements of glyphs.
- Kumla (2013, monoline squarish caps face).
- Lab Grotesque (2014).
- Brace (2015, a slab serif).
- Eksell Display (+Stencil) was created in 2015. It revives the one of two typefaces designed (in 1962) by Olle Eksell (1918-2007). Eksell's other typeface, Eksell Sans (1973), was revived by Letters from Sweden in 2021.
- In 2010, Peter Bruhn started a typeface but he died before it was finished. In 2015, Rui Abrey and Göran Söderström finished it as Bruhn Sans (Fountain Type). In 2010 Peter was commissioned to design a wordmark for the documentary Harbour of Hope. The type was to ellicit Malmö's harbor, and Peter found inspiration from the painted type of industrial tankers docked in his hometown.
- Ivar (2017). A transitional typeface that is influenced by Times. In Text, Headline and Display substyles. Dedicated to Ivar Gustafsson, and initially created for the redesign of Tidskriften Arkitektur by Malmsten Hellberg. In 2018, it was followed by Ivar Nostalgi, which reflects on the exuberant and extravagant display type of the 1970s with its large x-height, tight-but-not touching letterspacing, and extreme contrast. The whole collection, including Ivar Soft and Ivar display Condensed, was released for retail in 2019.
- Together with Ramiro Oblitas, Göran Söderström designed the polytope-and-circular-arc typefaces Mikro (2016-2020) and Mikro Super (2021).
- Funkis (2018).
- In 2019, they revived the chunky slab serif Adtype by William F. Capitain (1903, ATF) as Capitaine, which the Swedes describe as a good-humoured slab serif.
- Gothia Sans and Gothia Serif (2019) were originally designed for the Swedish newspaper Göteborgs-Posten as part of their rebrand by Brandwork. The design was based on historical Dutch types by Hendrik van den Keere and Christoffel van Dijck.
- Eklips (2019). A fun display typeface with hipster influences.
- El Taco Truck (2020). A custom all caps sans for the El Taco Truck company.
- Inline (2020-2021). A variable font with width and optical size axes, designed with Stefania Malmsten, who first used this super-heavy typeface in the documentary Maj 68.
- Rund Display (2021) and Rund Text (2021). These families are based on classical geometric sans typefaces like Neuzeit Grotesk, Futura and Avenir but are characterized by subtly concave terminal endings.
Letters from Sweden is an agency whose sole focus is type design. Göran Söderström was previously instrumental in Familjen Pangea's type design department and is a well-known commissioned type designer who has drawn typefaces for C&A, Zeta, ICA, Posten Frimärken, Expressen, ATG, SEB, WyWallet, Ulf Rollof and collaborated with Stockholm Design Lab, Stefania Malmsten, Pompe Hedengren, Hummingbirds, Designkontoret Silver, The Kitchen and Bold Stockholm. His retail typefaces listed above have been used by Red Bull, SVT, Expressen, The New Republic, Pitchfork Music Festival, Helsingborgs Dagblad, Lassila & Tikanoja, Rodeo Magazine and others.
View the typeface collection of Letters From Sweden.
Letters from Sweden
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type design in Sweden ⦿
Comic/cartoon fonts ⦿
Octagonal typefaces ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Military typefaces ⦿
Monospaced fonts ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
Fonts for programming ⦿