Ray Larabie (b. 1970, Ottawa, Canada) ran Typodermic in Mississauga, ON, which opened in the Fall of 2001. In 2006, it moved to Vancouver, BC, and in 2009 it moved on to Nagoya, Japan. Dafont page. Ray Larabie has been making fonts since 1996, but those early fonts were freeware. His pre 2001 fonts are grouped under the label Larabie Fonts. In 2001, he set up Typodermic. Latest additions.
The Typodermic fonts:
- 2020: Gravtrac (a 56-style condensed to crushed slab serif family inspired by mid-twentieth century classics like Univers 59 Ultra-Condensed, Helvetica Inserat and Compacta; +Greek, +Cyrillic), Vinque Antique (a hand-crafted blackletter).
- 2019: Dealerplate (17 styles for various states and provinces in the USA and Canada), Kenyan Coffee Stencil, Good Timing, Steelfish Rounded, Bitcrusher (a consumer electronics / techno font), Galderglynn 1884 (a nineteenth-century style sans-serif typeface that exp[ands his Galderglynn Esquire).
- 2018: Cybermontage, Crack Man (a pac man font), Propaniac (a 1980s-style postmodern typeface inspired by a Pointer Sisters record sleeve which was designed by Shoot That Tiger Creative Services), Zelega Zenega, Spectrashell.
- 2017: Minicomputer (MICR style), Squirty, PCTL9600, PCTL4800 (retro techno), Ultraproxi (semi-monospaced and influenced by the high speed computer printers from the 1950s to 1970s), Toxigenesis (techno sans), Venus Rising, Vanchrome (a compact sans-serif headliner with chromatic layers), Krait (a layered geometric typeface designed for architectural display), Xylito (a layered font for chromatic or 3d effects).
- 2016: Refuel (octagonal, based on military aircraft markings), Expressway Soft (a sans-serif font family inspired by the U.S. Department of Transportation's FHWA Series of Standard Alphabets, also known as Highway Gothic), Conthrax (squarish, techno), Cornpile (cartoonish), Electric, Evensong (art deco), Fledgling (a very tall typeface), Gymkhana (sans), Remissis (sans), Sunday Evening (a reverse contrast typeface), Meloche (Meloche is a unique grotesque sans-serif typeface influenced by hand-painted French signs of the late nineteenth century. It's available in 7 weights and obliques).
- 2015: Canada 150 (a custom font for the Canadian government; see here, here, this coverage regarding the Inuktitut part of the font, and this reaction by the curmudgeons in Toronto who complain that Ray did this work for free), Autoradiographic (sans family), Built Titling (for compact headlines), Chickweed Titling (cartoon titling font), Cardigan Titling (flared headline face), Bench Grinder Titling, Kleptocracy Titling, Palamecia Titling (rounded black comic book typeface), Quasix Titling, Galderglynn Titling (all caps sans family from hairline to black), Mixolydian Titling, Stormfaze (a sci-fi font started in 1996 and finished in 2015), NK57 Monospace (a 60-style programmer typeface), Gargle, Athabasca (a sans family designed for the rugged Canadian oil patch).
- 2014: Mesmerize (a large free sans family), Kingsbridge (a large slab serif family with sharp points on the A, M, N, V and W), Manbow (a layered geometric art deco display font which includes solid, clear, stripe, polka-dot and screen patterns), Breamcatcher (all caps art deco font inspired by the piano sheet music for With Every Breath I Take which was featured in the Bing Crosby/Kitty Carlisle musical comedy film, Here is my Heart), Kilsonburg (Dutch deco based on an old Vogue magazine cover), Uchiyama (poster typeface), Goldsaber (art deco design), Vexler Slip (unicase), Rakesly, Dacquoise, Pretender, Rimouski (a rounded geometric font family), Nulshock (techno), Recharge (techno/industrial font), Interrogator Stencil, Strange Alphabets (arts and cratfs font), Angerpoise Lampshade (free).
- 2013: Numbers With Rings, Shookup (funky cartoon font), Pastrami on Rye (cutout comic book style), Chickweed, Built (a condensed headline sans), Fluctuation (a softly rounded elliptical sans family), Astrochemistry (sci-fi, techno with rounded edges), Snasm (sci-fi).
- 2012: Engebrechtre (2000-2012), Die Nasty (1999-2012: free), Strasua (1999-2012), Planet Benson (1997-2012), Husky Stash (1998-2012), Barbatrick (1999-2012: a speed emulation font), Zero Hour (1997-2012), Urkelian (1998-2012: very condensed), Zolasixx (inspired by the video game Zaxxon), Ampacity (neon font), Chromakey (a space deco headline font inspired by box art classic video games including Matrix Marauders and Magical Chase), Disassembler (1980s style bitmap font), Zerbydoo (a dot matrix family), Superego (a geometric-techno font inspired by the cabinet graphics for the 1981 Stargate arcade game), Rukyltronic (a set of dot matrix typefaces), Nerdropol (pixel family), Gulkave (rounded pixel font), Cyclopentane, Palamecia (a fat finger poster face), Gameness (a 1990 retro industrial deco font), Camulogen (headline face), Color Basic (a pixel typeface inspired the by TRS-80 Color Computer), Triac Seventy One (a funky face), Acroyear (retro all-caps headline font), Troll Bait, Strenuous (unicase), Permanence (a retro=futuristic font based on Alvin Toffler's cover of Future Shok, 1970), Clockpunk (octagonal and quaint), Battlemaze (trekkie face), Mixolydian (industrial sans).
- 2011: Ugocranis (a brutalist typeface), Clipwave, Wheaton (MICR-inspired), Mango Scribble, TRS Million (dot matrix face), Ugogranis (constructivist), Gomoku (paper cut face), From The Internet.
- 2010: Cranberry Gin (2010, octagonal), Restore (all caps, geometric sans), From The Stars (an elliptical techno family done with Chikako Larabie), Thrusters (space age face), Dream Orphanage, Dream Orphans (2000-2012), Kengwin (rounded slab serif), Gleaming The Cube (Greek simulation face), Vectipede (a slab serif family), Great Escape (an elliptical sans family), Subrocs (connected script), Hackensack (with Chikako Larabie), Polarband (bilined stackable headline face), Naked Power, Special Forces (a great macho slab serif headline face---watch for awards to roll in), Warugaki (handpainted), Warmer, Honfleur (art deco; with Chikako Larabi), Voivode (a headline typeface done with Chikako Larabie), Hachimitsu (Asian look face, done with Chikako Larabie), Kadeworth (rounded retro look sans, done with Chikako Larabie), Gnuolane Jump (2010, with Chikako Larabie), Markerfield (brush), Board of Directors (Bank Gothic style family, done with Chikako Larabie), GGX88 (a Swiss sans family), Body Goat, Reversal, Gord (techno), Computechnodigitronic (LED, LCD geek-look font), Bench Grinder, Inklea (a bubbly face), Skygirls (retro brush script), Gloss (a paint brush typeface based on Champion, 1957, G.G. Lange), Galderglynn Esquire.
- 2009: Maqui (an industrial headline sans family), Zingende (art deco family: caps only), Misadventures, Gaz (large retro sans family), Meloriac (heavy display sans), Acrylic Brush, Enamel Brush (a digitization of Catalina, 1955, Emil J. Klumpp), DDT (neutral sans), Thump (fat, casual), Desperate Glamour, Pricedown (an update of his free 1990s font, patterned after the lettering on The Price Is Right show), Mitigate (monoline and slabbed; has some typewriter styles), Catwing, Walken (slab serif stencil), Silicone (soft rounded sans family), Movatif (sans), Gunplay (a stencil family inspired by the poster for the 1972 Steve McQueen/Ali MacGraw film The Getaway), Fragile Bombers (octagonal), Forgotten Futurist (techno sans, 19 styles), Bullpen (slab serif), Coolvetica, Duality, Good Times, Strenuous, Shlop (paint-drip style), Dirty Baker's Dozen (stencil), Junequil (VAG Rounded style), Owned (graffiti), Domyouji, Threefourtysixbvarrel (stencil), Enacti, Uniwars (futuristic, 16 styles).
- 2008: Madawaska (a rugged slab serif), Ebenezer (grunge), Gnuolane Stencil, Raincoat, Report School (avant garde sans), Jesaya, Carouselambra (art nouveau), Debusen (rounded), Barge (military font), Renju (2008, potato or rubber stamp print face), Otoboke (handlettered), Hit (informal hand), R6 D8 (futuristic sans family), Rexlia (an octagonal machinistic family), Hybrea (a display sans with TV screen rounding), Sweater School, Tussilago (2008, a neutral sans family), Presicav (extended sans), Hover Unit, Addlethorpe (grunge), Scheme (rounded sans), Usurp (bouncy poster lettering), Negotiate (technical sans family), Divulge, Sewn, Gnoulane (condensed sans), Moja, Teeshirt (old typewriter face), Pound (art deco marries grunge), Graveblade (heavy metal font), Synthemesc (psychedelic anti-Starbucks font), Chysotile (white on black grunge), Cardigan (sans), Gurkner (balloon style), Reagan (grunge).
- 2007: Tight (a copy of Dean Morris's 1976 Letraset chrome font Quicksilver), Headlight, Meloche (a 3-style grotesk), Octin Spraypaint (grunge stencil), Octin Vintage (grunge), Bouffant (script), Octin Prison (stencil), Octin Sports (octagonal), Octin College (octagonal, for sports jerseys), Octin Stencil (free octagonal font family), Burnaby Stencil (stencil), Superclarendon, Conceal, Ohitashi, Stud (grunge), Bristles (grunge), Skirt, Cotton (grunge), Kelvingrove (a bit of copperplate gothic, rounded and shaved), Augustine, Containment, Snowa, Veriox, Scrubby, Transmute, Sheaff, Injekuta (techno), Rinse (grunge), Polyflec, Domyouji (square sans), Winthorpe (old style), Cutiful (script), Flyswim (grunge), Dirtstorm (spray-painted stencil), Shnixgun (grunge), Neuzon (grunge), Oxeran (old typewriter), PRINTF (grunge all caps monospaced), Akazan (sans), Nyxali (a metal tag face), Meloriac (an extra bold Futura inspired face), Nesobrite (25 styles of Bank Gothic lookalikes), Meloriac (headline sans), Walnut (graffiti face), Gnuolane (a narrow superelliptical sans), Edifact (a damaged computer font), Darkheart, Stampoo (squarish), Raymond (rough script), Hayate (oriental look), Telephoto. The entire Octin series is free at DaFont.
- 2006: Octynaz (grunge), Paltime (ornamented), Jolie Ecriture Desard (children's hand), Mango (comic book face), Desard (child's hand), Bulltoad, Lerku (eroded serif), Charbroiled (also eroded), Ceroxa (eroded stencil), Nagomi (a chiseled-look Asian font based on calligraphy of Chikako Suzuki from Nagoya), Whiterock, Yellande, Chilopod (a futuristic typeface inspired by the logo from the 1980s videogame, Atari Centipede), Order, Goldburg (based on a typeface by George Bowditch, 1957), Laserjerks (2006, brutalist), Milibus (futuristic), Bonobo (serifed), Ohitashi, Sarasori (TV-tube shaped typeface in the style of Oban), Structia (an octagonal family), Betaphid (octagonal), Gendouki (futuristic stencil), Slugger (athletic lettering), Marianas (a gorgeous art deco face), Lineavec (octagonal), Corzinair (serif family), Buxotic (a great caps face), Cinecav X (for closed caption TV and DVD), Salsbury (comic book face), Lonsdale (loosely based on a font called Parkway Script, which was designed by Emil Hirt in 1964), Alepholon (futuristic), Kwokwi, Mikadan (a tribute to Stephenson Blake's Verona from 1948, which was in turn based on William Dana Orcutt's Humanistic from 1904), Marion (2012: a beautiful transitional family adopted as a standard Mac OS X font), Quasix (hookish), Skraype (grunge stencil), Bleeker (casual lettering), Linefeed (monospaced line printer font), Draculon (a casual typeface inspired by the letterforms of William Orcutt's humanist font from 1904 which was in turn based on an Italian manuscript from 1485), Mahavishnu (a mix between 1970s psychedelics and art nouveau), Doradani (a corporate identity sans family), Korotaki (futuristic).
- 2005: Beat My Guest, Kadonk (a Halloween face), Report (a VAG-Rounded style face), Croteau (a poster face), Heroid (ook face), Barrista (informal script), Wyvern (sans serif), Wubble (like puddles of water), Caryn (casual script), Folder (a rigid sans family), Venacti (a futuristic family), Xenara (a keyboard lettering family), Emory (a destructionist sans family), Ligurino (neat sans&serif family), Biondi (update of Copperplate Gothic; followed in 2010 by Biondi Sans; these copperplate style typefaces are in the style of AT Sackers), Byington (Trajan column lettering), Sayso Chic, Expressway (28 weights, a highway signage family), Algol (pixel type), Meposa (fat display face), Tandelle (condensed), Vigo, Maychurch, Mecheria, Vactic (dot matrix), Zosma, Topstitch, Windpower, Llandru, Soap (a creative extension of Cooper Black, with dingbats), Kleptocracy (1999-2005), Owned, Rimouski (sans), Burnstown Dam (2005, a wooden plank font), Sinzano (sans with opentype ligatures galore; compare, e.g., House Ed Interlock), Zamora.
- 2004: Affluent, Threefortysixbarrel (stencil face), Tank, Telidon (dot matrix face), Funboy, Neuropol X, Neuropol Nova, Mufferaw (comic book face), Larabiefont, Zekton (techno), Strenuous 3D, Silentina (advertised as "a silent movie font"), Amienne (brush script), Fenwick Outline (free), Betsy Flanagan (1998, a keyboard face), Boopee (children's handwriting), Pirulen (in the general Bank Gothic style), Zalderdash.
- 2003: Zupiter, Blue Highway.
- Before 2002: the dot matrix family Telidon, Telidon Ink, Butter Belly, Almonte (1999), the architectural font Jillican (octagonal), Snowgoose, Bomr, Pakenham, Neuropol, Nasalization, Fenwick, Kleptocracy DLX, Sui Generis, Dirty Bakers Dozen (faded stencil), Minya Nouvelle, Asterisp, Chinese Rocks, Jillsville (great artsy Courier), Ulian, Wevli (including Wevli Dingbats), Sappy Mugs (funny mugshots), Sofachrome (1999, inspired by Pontiac car emblems), Eden Mills (1999).
MyFonts interview. Fontspace link. Fontspring link. Catalog of the typefaces in the Larabie Fonts collection. Klingspor link.
Catalog of the Typodermic library in decreasing order of popularity. Extensive (large page warning) Typodermic catalog. Font Squirrel link. Creative Fabrica link. Fontsquirrel link. Fontdaily link.
Fontspring link [Buy fonts]
Monotype foundry link
Klingspor Museum page
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
The Canadian type scene ⦿
Pixel/bitmap fonts ⦿
Movie fonts ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Comic/cartoon fonts ⦿
Map/Travel dingbats ⦿
Horror fonts ⦿
Monospaced fonts ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Regular as clockwork ⦿
Sci-Fi fonts ⦿
Athletic lettering faces ⦿
Oriental simulation fonts ⦿
Stone age fonts ⦿
Calligraphic typefaces ⦿
Children's handwriting fonts ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
Octagonal typefaces ⦿
Graffiti fonts ⦿
Brush script typefaces ⦿
Architectural lettering/typefaces ⦿
Very thin (hairline sans) typefaces ⦿
Sci-Fi fonts ⦿
Art Nouveau typefaces ⦿
Psychedelic types ⦿
Movie fonts ⦿
3D fonts ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Dingbats (original) ⦿
Greek simulation fonts ⦿
Avant Garde typefaces ⦿
Type design and constructivism ⦿
MICR fonts ⦿
LED / LCD fonts ⦿
Typefaces inspired by the Trajan column in Rome ⦿
Brutalist typefaces ⦿
Cooper Black ⦿
Silent movie fonts ⦿
Neon tube or faux neon typefaces ⦿
Potato cut printing ⦿
Military typefaces ⦿
Arts and Crafts Movement ⦿
Wood plank typefaces ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Fonts for programming ⦿
Native-American fonts ⦿
Multicolor typefaces ⦿
Cutout or paper-cut typefaces ⦿
Chiseled fonts ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿