Swiss designer (b. 1955) located at Lake Geneva. Recipient of the 2012 Jan Tschichold prize. He is Head of the Master in Art Direction at ECAL/University of Art & Design Lausanne. His typefaces:
- The gorgeous revival family Didot Elder (published at Optimo, 2004), which is based on work by Pierre Didot from 1819.
- The stylish typewriter family CEO (2005, Optimo).
- At B&P Foundry, the serif family LaPolice BP (2007-2008).
- The Theinhardt family (2009, Optimo), which was named after the (generally accepted) designer of the first sans. It covers Latin, Greek and Cyrillic. An update was issed in 2018.
- At B&P Swiss Typefaces, he published New Fournier (2011) based on the typography of Pierre-Simon Fournier. It comes in 24 styles.
- Genath (2011, Optimo). Erik Spiekermann twitters: Best Caslon alternative yet. The typeface is based on a baroque type from the Genath foundry in Basel, and is based on a specimen from 1720 that is most likely Johann Wilhelm Haas's first design in Basel.
- Clarendon Graphic (2015, Optimo). Comprehensive, perfect, all-encompassing, a new standard for Clarendon. It has 26 styles including some stencil cuts.
- Plain (2014), Apax (2016) and Rand (2019), a trilogy of grotesque typefaces. Rappo writes: As Plain investigated the rational simplicity of modernism and Apax re-evaluated the visual grammar of constructivism, Rand explores the shapes that brought a certain spirit and warmth to the rigidity of modern design---emerging notably from The New York School. While some glyphs like the a inherit the clarity of Swiss rationalism, other glyphs borrow from design icons such as the from the Westinghouse logo by Paul Rand. Rand also features a nice Rand Mono subfamily.
- Practice (2016). A typeface family for magazines.
- JJannon (2019). A revival of Jean Jannon's type from 1641. This 16-style family is crisp and sharp-edged.
Swiss Type Design link. Pointypo piece on him.
Klingspor Museum page
Type design in Switzerland ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Monospaced fonts ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿