José Scaglione (b. Rosario, Argentina, 1974) is a graduate of the MA program of the University of Reading, 2005. He was co-founder and art director of Vision Media Design Studio in Argentina and Multiplicity Advertising in USA; and he was a part-time lecturer for four years at the Visual Comunications Institute of Rosario, teaching design for the internet. Currently, he lectures on typography at post-graduate level at the National University of Rosario and at the postgraduate program of typeface design at the University of Buenos Aires. He runs his own design studio, specializing in editorial design and branding. In 2006, he started Type Together with Veronika Burian. His fonts:
- In 2005, he updated Fabula, about which he writes: Based on a series of drawings by Sue Walker and originally digitized by Vinnie Connaire, Fabula is the new display typeface for the cover of Collins Children Dictionaries. Its basic monolinear structure and stroke economy are the foundation for this typeface.
- OUP Math&Pi: This Math and Pi font was designed to match the typefaces used by Paul Luna and Nadja Guggi in the new design of the Oxford University Press Dictionaries: Argo and Swift, designed by Gerard Unger.
- With Veronika Burian, he designed the text face TT Carmina (2006). This morphed into Karmina Serif (2007), a complete text family, and later Karmina Sans (released in 2009, 12 styles). Karmina was selected in the text typography category at the Letras Latinas exhibition 2006 and won a merit in the European-wide ED-Awards competition 2007. Images: Karmina (Veronika Burian / José Scaglione, a text typeface for newspapers, winner of the ED Awards) and Karmina Sans (12 styles). Award winner at Tipos Latinos 2010. Karmina, Bree and Ronnia were selected as part of the travelling exhibition Tipos Latinos 2008.
- Athelas (2006), an outgrowth of his studies at Reading.
- Ronnia (2007), designed with Veronika Burian at Type Together: a humanist sans family.
- Bree (2008, with Veronika Burian): a 5-style display sans with a cursive a and e.
- Adelle (2009, with Veronika Burian): a 12-style slab serif engineered for intensive editorial use.
- The Google web font Jockey One (2011, with Veronika Burian).
Karmina, Bree and Ronnia, all codesigned with Veronika Burian, won awards for extensive text families at Tipos Latinos 2008. Karmina won an ED Award in 2007 and Athelas won a first prize in the Gransham competition 2008. Bree won a bronze award in the 2009 edition of the ED Awards competition.
Speaker at ATypi 2006 in Lisbon, the Third International Conference on Typography and Graphic Communication in Thessaloniki 2007, 3CIT in Valencia, and ATypI 2008 in St. Petersburg, where his talk was entitled From laser printer to offset press. Speaker at ATypI 2009 in Mexico City, where his talk (with Andreu Balius) is entitled A sign to convey sound.
Google search page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Mathematics fonts ⦿
Type design in Argentina ⦿