José Scaglione (b. Rosario, Argentina, 1974) is a graduate of the MA program of the University of Reading, 2005. He was co-founder and art director of Vision Media Design Studio in Argentina and Multiplicity Advertising in USA; and he was a part-time lecturer for four years at the Visual Comunications Institute of Rosario, teaching design for the internet. He lectured on typography at post-graduate level at the National University of Rosario and presently teaches at the at the University of Buenos Aires. He runs his own design studio, specializing in editorial design and branding. In 2006, he started Type Together with Veronika Burian. In 2013, he became President of ATypI.
His books include Cómo crear tipografías. Del boceto a la pantalla, and Introducción al estudio de la tipografía (in collaboration with Jorge de Buen Unna). His fonts:
- Abril (2010) is a didone font family engineered mainly for newspapers and magazines that features friendly and elegant styles for headlines and robust and economic styles for text. It won an award at Tipos Latinos 2012. Abril Fatface is free at Google Font Directory. Abril Titling was published in 2013.
- Fabula (2005), about which he writes: Based on a series of drawings by Sue Walker and originally digitized by Vinnie Connaire, Fabula is the new display typeface for the cover of Collins Children Dictionaries. Its basic monolinear structure and stroke economy are the foundation for this typeface.
- OUP Math&Pi: This Math and Pi font was designed to match the typefaces used by Paul Luna and Nadja Guggi in the new design of the Oxford University Press Dictionaries: Argo and Swift, designed by Gerard Unger.
- With Veronika Burian, he designed the text typeface TT Carmina (2006). This morphed into Karmina Serif (2007), a complete text family, and later Karmina Sans (released in 2009, 12 styles). Karmina was selected in the text typography category at the Letras Latinas exhibition 2006 and won a merit in the European-wide ED-Awards competition 2007. Images: Karmina (Veronika Burian / José Scaglione, a text typeface for newspapers, winner of the ED Awards) and Karmina Sans (12 styles). Award winner at Tipos Latinos 2010. Karmina, Bree and Ronnia were selected as part of the travelling exhibition Tipos Latinos 2008.
- Athelas (2006), an outgrowth of his studies at Reading. It now ships with Apple's Mavericks OS.
- Ronnia (2007), designed with Veronika Burian at Type Together: a humanist sans family.
- Bree (2008, with Veronika Burian): a 5-style display sans with a cursive a and e.
- Adelle (2009, with Veronika Burian): a 12-style slab serif engineered for intensive editorial use.
- The Google web font Jockey One (2011, with Veronika Burian).
- Tablet Gothic (2012). A joint design of Veronika Burian and José Scaglione, it is a grotesque meant for titling.
- In 2015, Veronika Burian and José Scaglione finally published the 18-style editorial sans typeface family Ebony.
- In 2016, Veronika Burian and José Scaglione co-designed Portada, a sturdy serif typeface family for use on screen and small devices. It comes with an extensive free set of icons. Winner at Tipos Latinos 2018 of a type design award for Portdada.
- Protipo (2018) is a large information design sans family designed by Veronika Burian and José Scaglione.
- In 2019, Type Together released Catalpa (Veronkia Burian, Jose Scaglione, Azza Alameddine) and wrote: Primed for headlines, Catalpa is designed to give words bulk and width and gravity itself. The Catalpa font family is José Scaglione and Veronika Burian's wood type inspired design for an overwhelming headline presence.
Karmina, Bree and Ronnia, all co-designed with Veronika Burian, won awards for extensive text families at Tipos Latinos 2008. Karmina won an ED Award in 2007 and Athelas won a first prize in the Gransham competition 2008. Bree won a bronze award in the 2009 edition of the ED Awards competition. Bree Serif (2009) won an award at Tipos Latinos 2014. Abril wan gold at the ED Awards.
In 2012, Cristobal Henestrosa, Laura Meseguer and José Scaglione coauthored Como Crear Tipografias (Brizzolis S.A., Madrid, Spain).
Speaker at ATypi 2006 in Lisbon, the Third International Conference on Typography and Graphic Communication in Thessaloniki 2007, 3CIT in Valencia, and ATypI 2008 in St. Petersburg, where his talk was entitled From laser printer to offset press. Speaker at ATypI 2009 in Mexico City, where his talk (with Andreu Balius) is entitled A sign to convey sound. Speaker at ATypI 2017 Montreal.
Klingspor Museum page
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Mathematics fonts ⦿
Type design in Argentina ⦿
Children's handwriting fonts ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Books on type design ⦿