Zetafonts (or: Studio Kmzero, or: ZeroFont)
[Francesco Mistico Canovaro]
Italian design firm in Firenze consisting of three graphic designers, Francesco Canovaro, Debora Manetti, and Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini. It has evolved into Italy's premier and most prolific typefoundry. Canovaro's Behance link. Also called ZeroFont and Zetafonts, this typefoundry exhales joy---in every design and presentation, the passion of the designers bubbles to the surface. Blending a delicious sense of humour and a great aesthetic taste, Zetafonts is a typographic delight. Their typefaces:
- Anaphora (2018). Anaphora is a contemporary serif typeface designed by Francesco Canovaro (roman), Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini (italic) and Andrea Tartarelli. It features a wedge serif design with nine weights from thin to heavy. Its wide counters and low x-height make it pleasant and readable at text sizes while the uncommon shapes make it strong and recognizable when used in display size. Anaphora covers Latin, Greek and Cyrillic.
- Aliens and Cows (2016). An ultra-condensed all aps sans family by Canovaro.
- Arturo (2018), by Francesco Canovaro.
- Atlantica (2017). A signage script family.
- Lightstrike (2016). A thin (and free) brush font by Canovaro.
- Byom (2016). A tweetware organic sans typeface family by Francesco Canovaro.
- Adlery (2016, +Cyrillic). A brush script by Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini.
- Adlibitum (2016). A blackletter typeface by Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini and Francesco Canovaro.
- Morbodoni (2016). A display didone by Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini and Francesco Canovaro.
- Altair (2016). A display sans by by Francesco Canovaro based on Digitalino.
- Aquawax (2015). A sans family by Canovaro and the Zetafonts team.
- Armonioso (2014). A creamy connected signage script.
- A Day Without Sun (2014, by Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini).
- Another Shabby (2014, a primitive script by Francesco Canovaro).
- Antipasto (2007, by Matteo Di Iorio). A clean elegant sans by Canovaro.
- Arista (2007) and Arista 2.0 (2010). A simple rounded bold sans typeface designed by Francesco Canovaro and Adolfo Monti. In 2017, Francesco Canovaro updated these to Arista Pro.
- Arsenale White and Arsenale Blue (2009). Children's hands, done by Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini, Francesco Canovaro, Andrea Mi, Debora Manetti, Katiuscia Mari, and Jonathan Calugi.
- Beatrix Antiqua (2016, by Francesco Canovaro, Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini and Andrea Tartarelli). This humanist sans-serif typeface is part of the Beatrix family (Beatrix Nova, etc.) that takes its inspiration from the classic Roman monumental capital model. Its capitals are directly derived from the stone carvings in Florence's Santa Croce Cathedral. Beatrix keeps a subtle lapidary swelling at the terminals suggesting a glyphic serif, similar to Hermann Zapf's treatment in Optima. Some weights are free.
- Bimbo >(2018). A child emulation handwriting font developed as an extension and redesign of the original Arsenale White typeface created with italian illustrator Jonathan Calugi.
- Bistecca (2005). A bellissima extra-condensed serif font created for ego[n] 5 and for the cover of ego[n] 4.
- Braciola (2006). Monospaced and octagonal, with stencil styles added.
- Brushstrike (2015). By Canovaro.
- Byron (2006). Handwriting.
- In 2010, Canovaro designed the plumpish bubblegum typefaces Bubblebody Fat and Bubbleboddy Extra Light. These fonts were discontinued in 2016 and replaced by Bubbleboddy Neue.
- Bulletto (2015). A retro baseball script.
- Cibreo. A basic sans typeface by Canovaro and Monti.
- Cinematografica (2017). An ultra condensed small caps movie typeface used in the advertising campaign for Lucca Comics 2017 Festival. This film noir family features eight weights from thin to heavy with open type alternate glyphs and some full word ligatures.
- The rounded geometric sans family Cocomat (2015, Zetafonts, by Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini, Debora Manetti and Francesco Canovaro) was inspired by the style of the twenties and the visions of italian futurists like Fortunato Depero, Giacomo Balla and Antonio Sant'Elia.
- Cocosignum (2017). Cocosignum Corsivo Italico and Cocosignum Maiuscoletto are both based on Italian art deco styles.
- Codec (2018) by Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini, Francesco Canovaro and Andrea Tartarelli is a geometric sans typeface family in which all terminal cuts are horiontal or vertical.
- Delizioso (2008). Art deco.
- Digitalino (2013).
- Docporn (comic book style).
- Duepuntozero (2010). By Canovaro.
- Filetto (2009). A sans modeled after DIN 1451 done by Canovaro, Debora Manetti and Katiuscia Mari.
- Florentia (2017). An 18-style lapidary typeface family influenced by the renaissance and luxury.
- In 2018, Debora Manetti and Francesco Canovaro designed the brush handwriting font Freehand Brush.
- Handvetica (2005). Arched.
- Happy Frush Zero (2014). A random note font.
- Happy Funghetto (2015). Fifties style lettering.
- Heading Pro (2017). A condensed sans typeface by Francesco Canovaro. Followed in 2018 by Heading Pro Ultra Compressed, Heading Pro Extended, and Heading Pro Text.
- Hello Script (2015). Curly and calligraphic.
- Modulo3 (2008). An artsy beauty.
- New Romantic (curly grunge).
- Panforte (2013) and Panforte Serif (2013): hand-drawn typefaces. Panforte Pro followed in 2017.
- Prozak. Consists of zProzak-Bold, zProzak and zProzakLight (2006). A basic sans typeface by Canovaro and Monti.
- Sala de Fiestas (2005-2006). Free download at OFL.
- Square80 (2009).
- Studio Gothic (2017, by Francesco Canovaro, Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini and Andrea Tartarelli) is an 8-style geometric sans family based on Alessandro Butti's geometric sans classic, Semplicita.
- Sugo (2007). By Canovaro and Monti.
- Taller (2009, ultra-condensed), Taller Evolution (2009), Tallest (2009, ultra-condensed).
- Targa Monospace. Inspired by license plate lettering.
- Targa (2002), TargaMS (2002), TargaMSHand (2002).
- Tutor (2006). Rectangular, pixelish---what I call a piano key font.
- Zerocalcare is a typeface family created for the branding of Lucca Comics & Games Festival 2016. It is based on the digitised handwriting of italian comic artist Zerocalcare, and it uses open type substitutions to mimick the flow of real handwriting. Free at Dafont.
- Double Bass (2018): A jazzy 4-style typeface family that pays tribute to Saul Bass's iconic hand lettering for Otto Preminger's The Man with the Golden Arm film title sequence and other movies, Bass's vibrating, almost brutal cut-out aestethics, and the cartoonish lettering and jazzy graphics of the fifties.
- Another Shabby (2018) is a brush script typeface family designed by Francesco Canovaro for Zetafonts with Cyrillic letters designed by Alina Golovan.
- Sugo Pro (2018, Francesco Canovaro, Andrea Tartarelli). It was designed in 2006 by Francesco Canovaro in two weights (regular and extralight) and later used by Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini as base inspiration for the design of the successful Zetafonts' Cocogoose Pro typeface. In 2018 the family was completely redesigned by Andrea Tartarelli, expanding the original glyph set to include Cyrillic and Greek and adding three extra weights and italics. The restored and revamped version is named Sugo Pro Classic.
Corporate typefaces were designed for Lucca Comics and Games, Digitalic Magazine, Kair, Unicoop, and Istituto Europeo di Design.
Behance link. Zetafonts home page. View the Zetafonts library. Abstract Fonts link. MyFonts link.
Zetafonts (or: Studio Kmzero, or: ZeroFont)
Fontspring link [Buy fonts]
Klingspor Museum page
Type design in Italy ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Monospaced fonts ⦿
Handwriting fonts ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Pixel/bitmap fonts ⦿
Octagonal typefaces ⦿
Comic/cartoon fonts ⦿
Children's handwriting fonts ⦿
Art deco typefaces ⦿
Sketched typefaces ⦿
Piano key typefaces ⦿
Ransom note fonts ⦿
Signage typefaces ⦿
Brush script typefaces ⦿
Calligraphic typefaces ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
Bubblegum typefaces ⦿
Lapidary typefaces ⦿
Movie fonts ⦿
Film noir typefaces ⦿
Curly typefaces ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Signage typefaces ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿
Cutout typefaces ⦿