Vit "Tasuki" Brunner (Czechia) recommends the 14 best free fonts. Summarizing his recommendations:
- Antykwa Torunska is an original typeface created by Polish type designer Zygfried Gardzielewski in 1960. It was digitized by Janusz Marian Nowacki. The font contains many diacritical marks, math symbols, and comes in many weights.
- Typo Latin Serif is a slab serif (Egyptian) typeface with an extremely large x-height. It was created by Manfred Klein.
- The DejaVu fonts are extensions of the free Bitstream Vera typefaces.
- Palatino (Hermann Zapf) is gorgeous, period. Palladio L is a free Palatino clone created by URW in cooperation with Hermann Zapf. Download it in URW fonts pack (together with 79 other fonts).
- Gentium, a typeface for many languages by Victor Gaultney. Extensive unicode support.
- Optima by Hermann Zapf. A free version: MgOpen Cosmetica.
- Bembo is a nostalgic antiqua created by Francesco Griffo in 1496. Cardo (David Perry) is based on Bembo.
- Vollkorn is an old style numerals typeface created by Friedrich Althausen.
- Computer Modern is a didone typeface created by Don Knuth.
- Avant Garde (Herb Lubalin) can be downloaded in the URW font pack where it is known as URW Gothic L.
- Goudy Bookletter 1911 is a revival of Frederic Goudy's Kennerley Old Style by Barry Schwartz.
- Helvetica by Max Miedinger. Magenta Ltd has a free version in its MgOpen pack: MgOpen Moderna.
- Geo Sans Light (Manfred Klein) is based on Futura, a geometric typeface created by Paul Renner in 1926.
Type blogs ⦿
Choice of fonts ⦿
Type design in Czechia ⦿
Avant Garde typefaces ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿