Coppers & Brasses
[Alexandre Saumier Demers]
Quebec-based type typefoundry Coppers & Brasses was set up in 2011 by Alexandre Saumier Demers and Étienne Aubert Bonn in the plateau area of Montreal. Both graduated from the graphic and type design program at UQAM in Montreal and went on do the Type and Media program at KABK in The Hague, The Netherlands.
Creators of these typefaces in 2012: Martha (monospaced slabby grotesque done by both founders), Sardine (fat signage typeface by Bonn), Freitt (blackletter typeface by Bonn). Nicole (2012) is an elegant basic sans typeface by Olivier Mercier-Chan Kane.
In 2013, Etienne graduated from the Type & Media program at KABK in Den Haag. In 2014, Alexandre in turn graduated from the Type & Media program at KABK. For his graduation, Alexandre developed the didone typeface family Lewis. He writes: Lewis is a typeface designed for mathematical typesetting, specifically for the TeX typesetting system. It consists of 3 text styles (Roman, Bold, Italic) and 3 math styles (Math Italic, Greek, Blackboard) for use as variables. The text Italic relates to the Roman while the Math Italic stand out with its cursive construction. Likewise, the Greek differentiate easily from Latin characters. The Blackboard inlines are adapted for text sizes with their wide and open cut. Lewis features many size variants and extending shapes, ideal in displayed equations.
The list of their retail and custom fonts:
- Guillon (2016). Manufactured for Studio Feed.
- GSM Grotesque (2016). A custom typeface by Coppers and Brasses and Studio Feed, for GSM Project.
- Caserne (2015). A custom stencil typeface designed with Samuel Larocque for the Montreal-based studio Caserne.
- CCM Grotesk (2015, Latin and Cyrillic). A custom typeface for Canadian sporting goods brand CCM, with a textured version. The Cyrillic was overseen by Russian type designer Maria Doreuli.
- VLNL Wurst (2015, VetteLetters). This wurst-themed typefaces comes in three styles, Brat, Blut and Bier Wurst. The interesting aspect of this font is that Demers developed a special Wurst Schreiber software for drawing segments as sausages in RoboFont.
- Double (2015, Alexandre Saumier Demers and Étienne Aubert Bonn). A retail typeface family from condensed to wide with wedge serifs, a copperplate feel, and slight flaring. Ideal for display work.
- Canal (2015, Étienne Aubert Bonn). A fantastic retail sans typeface family: Canal is a typeface family inspired by the blue collar, hard working people that were the late 19th and early 20th centuries labor force of the new continent. It is a sturdy workhorse with a wink of humanism.
- Martha (2014, Alexandre Saumier Demers and Étienne Aubert Bonn). A retail typeface family with curvy typewriter influences, some monospaced styles and a grotesque to boot.
- Klaus (2014, Étienne Aubert Bonn). Developed for personal web and paper work.
- Théorie (2014, Alexandre Saumier Demers and Étienne Aubert Bonn). A techno stencil typeface commissioned by UQAM's Bureau de Design for the Bâtisseurs of the science faculty award.
- Lewis (2014, Alexandre Saumier Demers). A font system for typesetting mathematics in TeX, developed at KABK.
- Alphonse (2014, Alexandre Saumier Demers). An elegant garalde custom text typeface.
- Nurraq (2013, Étienne Aubert Bonn). Developed as a school project at KABK, Nurraq is a multi-script typeface system that matches a Latin serif text typeface with a Canadian aboriginal syllabics character set for the Inuktitut language.
- Compass (2013, Étienne Aubert Bonn). A revival based on the early drawings of Monotype Plantin series 110 by Frank Hinman Pierpont and Fritz Stelzer.
- MLS Soccer (2012). A hand-crafted custom typeface by Alexandre Saumier Demers and Étienne Aubert Bonn, commissioned by Sid Lee.
- Radio Canada (2017). A custom corporate humanist sans typeface for the French TV network in Quebec, co-designed by Charls Daoud and Alexandre Saumier-Demers of Coppers and Brasses.
Alexandre spends most of his time since 2016 working on variable font projects for The Type Network (ex-Font Font Bureau). Home page of Alexandre Saumier Demers. Behance link for Coppers and Brasses.
Coppers & Brasses
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type design in Quebec ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
Signage typefaces ⦿
Monospaced fonts ⦿
Fonts with TEX ⦿
Mathematics fonts ⦿
Blackboard type ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Soccer typefaces ⦿
Native-American fonts ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
Garalde or Garamond typefaces ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿