Étienne is a graduate of the graphic and type design program at UQAM in Montreal. Cofounder in 2011 of Coppers & Brasses in Montreal, together with Alexandre Saumier Demers. He studied at Type@Cooper in New York and at KABK in Den Haag, The Netherlands (class of 2013). He also teaches type design at UQAM in Montreal.
In 2012, he designed the signage typeface Sardine and the blackletter typeface Freitt. Together with Alexandre, he created Martha (a monospaced slabby grotesque), still in 2012. At The Cooper Union, he created Barapa (2012). His fonts at Coppers Brasses:
- Double (2015, Alexandre Saumier Demers and Étienne Aubert Bonn). A retail typeface family from condensed to wide with wedge serifs, a copperplate feel, and slight flaring. Ideal for display work.
- Canal (2015). A fantastic retail sans typeface family: Canal is a typeface family inspired by the blue collar, hard working people that were the late 19th and early 20th centuries labor force of the new continent. It is a sturdy workhorse with a wink of humanism.
- Energir (2017). A corporate stencil typeface for Gaz Metro, now called Energir.
- Ilisarniq (2018). Designed for the Kativik School Board---the only school board of Nunavik. The education programs developed by the school board are offered in all schools of the 14 Nunavik communities, in Inuktitut as first language and in French and English as second languages. The school board operates 17 primary and secondary schools as well as 5 adult education centers all over Nunavik. The goal was to create a modern and clean looking typeface that incorporates both the Latin alphabet and the Inuktitut Syllabics characters. The typeface family has been developed with the help of the board and the community to make sure its readability was optimal. The design has also been optimized to make sure that the color of text was similar between the two scripts. The typeface is available for free at Coppers and Brasses.
- With My-Lan, Etienne co-designed Mammouth (2017). Mammouth is a gala on Tele Quebec where teenagers can vote for the people, events, and causes that influenced them the most during the year. This commissioned typeface family contains a heavy and an ultra-fat style.
- Codesigner, with My-Lan Thuong of Maple Leafs (2017), a fast and aggressive typeface commissioned for the Toronto Maple Leafs as a display face to use along with their existing typefaces.
- McGill Sans and McGill Serif (2019), custom designs for McGill University in Montreal.
- Martha (2014, Alexandre Saumier Demers and Étienne Aubert Bonn). A retail typeface family with curvy typewriter influences, some monospaced styles and a grotesque to boot.
- Klaus (2014). Developed for personal web and paper work.
- Théorie (2014, Alexandre Saumier Demers and Étienne Aubert Bonn). A techno stencil typeface commissioned by UQAM's Bureau de Design for the Bâtisseurs of the science faculty award.
- Nurraq (2013). In 2013, Etienne graduated from the Type & Media program at KABK in Den Haag. His graduation typeface is called Nurraq. He explains this Latin/ Inuktitut typeface: Nurraq is a multi-script typeface system that matches a Latin serif text typeface with a Canadian aboriginal syllabics character set for the Inuktitut language. The very different nature and origin of these two scripts creates an interesting context for both typefaces to share influences coming from each other's tradition, and, by doing so, bridging the gap that usually separates these two forms of writing. Nurraq won an award in the Morisawa 2014 type competition.
- Compass (2013). A revival based on the early drawings of Monotype Plantin series 110 by Frank Hinman Pierpont and Fritz Stelzer.
- MLS Soccer (2012). A handcrafted custom typeface by Alexandre Saumier Demers and Étienne Aubert Bonn, commissioned by Sid Lee.
- Triade (2016). A heavy titling or display typeface with tons of personality.
- Hochelaga (2012-2017). In cooperation with Feed Type. An all caps sans inspired by old street signs in Montreal.
- Bookmark (2020). A 2-style geometric sans made for the Canadian mobile company Fizz.
- In 2020, Etienne Aubert Bonn and My-Lan Thuong co-designed Baryton at Coppers and Brasses, a revival of Frank Bartuska's playful photo era didone typeface Century Bartuska.
- Agena and Agena Display (2021). A large display sans family with many hipster traits.
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Type design in Quebec ⦿
Monospaced fonts ⦿
Blackletter fonts ⦿
Signage typefaces ⦿
Native-American fonts ⦿
Soccer typefaces ⦿
Stencil fonts ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿
Corporate typefaces ⦿