Owen Earl (Indestructible Type, Seattle, WA) takes a new look at old classics. He reinvents them from scratch, and redesigns each glyph very carefully. Some of his work is completely free, and other typefaces are commercial. His fonts:
- Besley (2017). A redesign of Robert Besley's Clarendon. For modern times, the x-height has been increased, and a totally new italic has been added. Buy it at FontSpring. A Fatface weight was added in 2020, and the font family is now entirely free.
- The free sans typeface Geo (2013).
- The free sans typeface Quizzical (2015).
- Renner (2017). A revival, from scratch, of Paul Renner's Futura. Totally free! Github link. FontSpring link. Open Font Library link. A major update, Renner 3.0, followed in 2018---it includes a variable font, a blacker Black and the thinnest Hairline ever. And due to a trademark dispute Renner became Jost in August 2018. In 2019, Cyrillic characters were added to Jost. Google Fonts link. See also the derived family Venryn Sans (2020).
- Bodoni (2015). With Bodoni 6 and Bodoni 12 subfamilies. Includes a delicious Bodoni 6 Fatface. Extended in 2020 to amny optical sizes (6, 11, 16, 24, 36, 48, 72, 96), and a variable font. Github link. Google Fonts link for Bodoni Moda (2020; 64 styles). Bodoni Moda has optical choices in the static fonts, and is accompanied by a 2-axis (weight, italic) variable font. Github link.
- Jones (2016).
- Miedinger (2015). A clone of Helvetica. Only two weights were ever finished.
- Umbra (2017). A variable Opentype font with two sliders---distance of the shadow, and time of the day.
- Gnomon (2017). A free variable font: Gnomon is the first font ever to respond to the user's actual time. The shadow of Gnomon changes location throughout the day in relation to the time.
- Copperplate CC (2020, at the Cowboy Collective).
- Railroad Gothic CC (2020, at the Cowboy Collective).
- Engraving CC (2020, at the Cowboy Collective).
- Tiffany Gothic CC (2020, at the Cowboy Collective).
- Drafting Mono (2021). A typewriter-like font but in which slabs are added not just to the lower case i and l as was the practice in the past. In eight styles.
Aka Ewon Rael. Github link. Another Github link. FontSpring link. Facebook page.
Type designers ⦿
Type designers ⦿
Commercial fonts (small outfits) ⦿
Sites with only a few free fonts ⦿
Type scene in Washington ⦿
Modern style [Bodoni, Didot, Walbaum, Thorowgood, Computer Modern, etc.] ⦿
Variable fonts ⦿
Experimental type ⦿
Very thin (hairline sans) typefaces ⦿
Cyrillic type design ⦿
Western fonts ⦿
Monospaced fonts ⦿
Fonts for programming ⦿
Typewriter fonts ⦿