| || |
Dubai, UAE-based designer of the pixelish Arabic typeface Wala Tansu (2013). [Google]
Dubai-based designer of the political protest font family Gaza (2015), with typefaces Gaza48, Gaza67 and Gaza14 representing the size of Palestine as it evolved from 1948 and 1967 to 2014. [Google]
Alfredo Marco Pradil
Alfredo Marco Pradil
[JAM Type Design (or: JAM Design Studio)]
Known as Ameer Ghanem and Ameer Magdy. Dubai, UAE-based designer of the modular typeface Burger & Brains (2017). Behance link. Creative Market link. Tumblr link. [Google]
Andrew Paglinawan (Dubai, UAE) is a self-employed graphic designer, working in the fields of logo design, print design, web design and branding with the majority of his time spent designing and implementing marketing promotions for small businesses such as logos, brochures, letterhead, business cards, and posters. Creator of these typefaces:
- The free neutral geometric sans family Quicksand (2009---see also the Google Font Directory).
- Pagli Roman (2008). A fantastic display type that crosses Bodoni and Pistilli Roman.
- In 2011, he published the free sans family Chiq, which was inspired by Optima.
- In 2013, Bright Grotesk was first shown. In 2014, Bright Grotesk was published as a commercial font.
- The free font Manila Sans (2010). See also Manila Sans Bold (2010).
Dafont link. Klingspor link. Fontspace link. Font Squirrel link. Kernest link. Behance link. [Google]
During her studies in Dubai, Ayesha AlSharid designed the shar-edged Arabic typeface Bakkah (2018). [Google]
Dubai (and before that, Beirut Lebanon)-based designer of Celina (2015), a charming typeface with a hint of art nouveau warmth. In 2015, she created the Arabic kufi-style typeface Kanater. Behance link. [Google]
During her graphic design studies in Dubai, UAE, Dana Alhasan created the steampunk-inspired Latin / Arabic typeface Tick Tock (2014). [Google]
Dubai-based designer of the crystallized typeface Low Poly (2015). [Google]
Dubai-based designer of Idunno (2013, a hand-printed typeface). Behance link. [Google]
Art director in Dubai and/or Istabul, who created the pixel typeface Borderless in 2016. In 2018, Halilcan Cayan and Emrah Yildirim designed the roman caps / romain du roi style typeface Murmillo. [Google]
Dubai, UAE-based designer of a squarish semi-stencil Latin / Arabic typeface in 2018. [Google]
Dubai-based designer of the Arabic / Latin decorative typeface Romathen (2016). [Google]
Dubai-based designer (b. 1992) of Tire Typeface (2015) for Latin and Arabic. [Google]
Turkish graphic designer in Dubai. She created the hand-drawn typeface Gizem's Sketch in 2013 using iFontmaker.
Dafont link. [Google]
Dubai-based designer of Box Trap (2019: a free squarish typeface), Flava Music (2019: a blackletter black metal font), and Miraal (2019: a free children's scrawl font). [Google]
[Alfredo Marco Pradil]
Graduate of the College of Architecture and Fine Arts, Batangas State University, The Philippines, who has been working as a graphic designer since 2005. He is currently located in Dubai, UAE and is a prolific type designer. His typefaces:
- Compound Sans (2021). In 45 styles, plus a variable font.
- Trinkle Sans (2020).
- HK Requisite (a 9-style low contrast sans) (2020).
- Terminal Guise (2020). An 8-style monolinear geometric sans with open counters (except on the lower case o).
- Luckybones (2020).
- Action Sans (2020). A free almost monolinear sans.
- Open Sauce Sans, Open Sauce One and Open Sauce Two (2020). He writes about these three large free sans families: Open Sauce is a font superfamily that I developed for Creative Sauce's internal type system. It is a compact typeface that is optimised for better viewing small text on screen and print. Open Sauce (Sans, One and Two) is under the SIL Open Font License and is going to be actively developed, improved and tested. One small modification is Cristiano Sobral's Criativa Sans (2020).
- Yelena (2020). A brush script.
- Keiner (2020). A rigid monolinear sans typeface family.
- Cosmic Octo (2020). A blocky display/poster typeface for an experimental ice cream recipe venture.
- Snah (2020). A playful free all caps typeface.
- Belina Script (2020).
- Itzkarl (2020). An all caps typeface with flared terminals.
- Anahaw (2020). A foliate typeface modeled after palm leaves.
- Batangas (2020). Free.
- Lumi Sans (2019).
- Device (2019). A sans that supports orange-dyed fascists, oil industry buffoons and climate change deniers.
- Stenzel (2019). a stencil typeface.
- Nourd (2019).
- Suprapower SE (a display sans) (2019). Heavy and wide, for posters, packaging, headline and titles.
- Sauce Grotesk (2019). Sauce Grotesk is a sans serif typeface that James Birch and Alfredo Marco Pradil developed for Creative Sauce's internal type system.
- TEG (2019).
- Enreal (2019).
- Arca Sentora (2019). A geometric sans.
- Serif 420 (2019).
- Guise (2019). A Swiss style sans family.
- Grantipo (2019), A sans family inspired by Cerebri Sans, Helvetica and Akzidenz Grotesk. .
- HK Sentiments (2018). A neutral / geometric sans.
- Natrix Sans (2018). A free grotesque family without italics.
- Reminisce (2018). A Peignotian sans typeface family.
- Aeon Hexa (2018). Alfredo explains that he tried to amalgamate the features of Helvetica and Cerebri Sans.
- Acari Sans (2018). A free typeface by Alfredo Marco Pradil (Latin part) and Stefan Peev (Cyrillic portion). Based on HK Grotesk (2015).
- HK Kontrast (2018). An angular wedge serif typeface.
- HK Yavimayan (2018). A text typeface with flaring.
- HK Focus (2017).
- HK Gothic (2017). Twelve styles.
- HK Compression (2017). A bold compressed all caps sans.
- HK Carta (2017). A text typeface with didone elements.
- HK Spec (2017).
- HK Zercon (2017). A free sans.
- HK Concentrate (2017). A sans typeface family.
- Arlene (2017). A didone typeface family.
- Barter Exchange (2017).
- HK Blocker (2017), a heavy rounded sans.
- Zwizz (2017). A Swiss typeface family.
- Cerebri Sans (2017).
- HK Nova (2017). A geometric sans family inspired by Century Gothic and Futura. The Medium weight is tweetware. See also HK Nova Narrow and HK Nova Rounded.
- Illuma (2017). A free headline sans typeface.
- Number 23 (2017). A text typeface family.
- HK Caslon (2017).
- Polarity (2017).
- Placid Amor (2016). Copperplate style.
- Ludema (2016). An informal sans typeface, made by Joao Symington..
- Alienware (2016). A custom typeface for Dell's Alienware computers.
- Extremis Compakt (2016). A custom typeface for Extremis.
- Number 23 (2016). A Caslon-style text family.
- El Enra Rounded (2016). A condensed headline sans.
- Faldore (2015-2016). A simple sans typeface family.
- Hans Grotesque (2016). A sans designed for long texts.
- Decalotype (2016). A free sans typeface.
- HK Compakt (2016). Inspired by Akzindenz Grotesk.
- HK Serif (2016).
- Jellee (2016). A very soft heavy rounded sans typeface. Download.
- El Enra (2016). A free bold condensed sans.
- Type 36 (2016). A clean geometric sans.
- Arco Perpetuo (2016). A free subtly rounded sans family.
- Industri (2016). A tweetware sans.
- Okomito (2016). A sans with large open counters. Okomito Medium is free. Okomito Next was released in 2020.
- Comprehension Semibold (2016).
- Radnika (2016). Announced as a workhorse sans. Followed in 2017 by Neue Radnika Schriftart, or Radnika Next.
- Hanken Sans (2016).
- ADA Hybrid Display (2016).
- The free geometric sans typeface Orkney (2016, with Samuel Oakes).
- Caslon OS (2015, Open Font Library).
- The basic sans typefaces Now (2015, Open Font Library: geometric), Now Alt (2015), Einstellung Schrift (2015, geometric sans), Neue Einstellung (2015), Elenar (2015; and the free Elenar Love), Amicale (2015), HK Explorer (2015), HK Explorer Soft (2015), HK Explorer Sharp (2015), HK Grotesk (2015: free; extended to HK Grotesk Pro in 2016, and HK Grotesk Light in 2017, HK Grotesk Wide in 2020, and Uacari Legacy by Cristobal Sobral in 2020), Industri (2015, caps only headline face), Monoist (2015, monospaced), Glacial Indifference (2015, Bauhaus-inspired), Malakas (2015), Genome (2015) and Gen Light (2014, OFL).
- Arca Majora (2014) and Arca Majora 2 (2016). A free heavy geometric sans face.
- SAG Block (2014).
- Ahamono and Ahamono Monospaced (2012-2015). Originally, this was a free rounded monospace typeface with typewriter features.
- Neue Hans (2014), Hanken Round (2014, a free rounded sans), Neutrage (2014, a neutral signage sans).
- Hard Edge (2014). An octagonal typeface.
- Teknik (2014). A technical sans typeface.
- Bullet (2014).
- The grotesk typefaces Primary Hans (2014) and Hans Kendrick (2014) and Neue Hans Kendrick (2016). Both have elements of Avenir and Futura, and are characterized by a relatively small x-height. Followed by the art deco sans-inspired Neo Hans in 2019.
OFL link. Hellofont link (for purchasing his fonts). Behance link. Facebook link. He operates as Hanken Studio. [Google]
Graphic designer in Dubai. In 2017, she created an outline typeface called Triangle. [Google]
JAM Type Design
Joao Symington is a graphic designer and type designer, born in London, England, raised in Porto, Portugal, and currently residing in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. First a graphic designer, he has started to dabble in the type design field. He founded JAM Type.
In 2015, he created JT Alvito. In 2016, he created the sans typeface Andis (at JAM Design), the geometric Toma Sans family (also at JAM Design), which has a free regular weight, JT Leonor (sans family in 20 styles), and Toma Slab.
Typefaces from 2017: JT Marnie (geometric sans), Poppy JT, Mitram (sans), Toriga (a rounded sans family).
Typefaces from 2018: JT Douro Sans (an art deco sans), JT Symington (a classical serif family in which the romans and italics have radically different genes).
Typefaces from 2019: Ludema (an informal sans typeface, perhaps for children's books), Koya Sans (in the humanist tradition), JT Douro Serif.
Typefaces from 2021: Jam Grotesque (14 styles). [Google]
JAM Type Design (or: JAM Design Studio)
[Alfredo Marco Pradil]
Studio in Dubai, UAE. Designers of Hanken Round (2014, a free rounded sans), Arca Majora (2014, a free heavy geometric sans face), and Genome (2015), which were all due to Alfredo Marco Pradil. Creators, with Joao Symington, of JT Alvito (2015).
Typefaces from 2016: Andis (sans by Joao Symington; Andis Light is free), JT Leonor (sans, by Joao Symington).
Typefaces from 2017: Poppy JT (brush script), Toriga (a rounded sans family).
Typefaces from 2019: Ondo (a low contrast geometric sans). [Google]
[JAM Type Design]
JuRaCa (or: Juraca Arts, or: Jun Ray Canonicato)
Digital illustrator in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Designer of the monolinear marker pen font family Jimmys (2020). [Google]
Khaled Al Hashhash
Khaleed Al Hashhash was born in 1978 in Amman, Jordan. He studied at Al Yarmouk University in Jordan, and works in Dubai, UAE. He designed the Arabic typefaces AP Al Khallej, AP Nart, and AP Seenah, and the corporate typeface Toyota Arabic (2016). [Google]
[No More Faith Fonts]
Lucia Verdejo Baron
Madrid and/or Dubai-based designer of the geometric solid typeface Cloudy (2014), which was created during a workshop led by Pablo Abad. She also created the beveled 3d typeface Arch (2014). [Google]
Dubai, UAE-based designer of some Arabic typefaces in 2015, including the didone typeface Domaine. [Google]
Motion designer in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Codesigner with Martin Vlas and Boutaib Yassine of the free all caps rounded sans typeface Pop (2016). [Google]
Mohammed Jasim Viralippurath
Dubai-based designer of the monoline Arabic typeface Awwal (2018). [Google]
Dubai-based designer of Impcat (sic) (2015). [Google]
Nadia Méndez García
Born in Mexico City and a graduate of Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana in Xochimilco, Mexican designer Nadia Méndez created Galia Roman (2007, her Masters project at Centro de Estudios Gestalt) (+Italic, +Versalitas, 2008), a winner in the Tipos Latinos 2008 competition for best text family.
Co-founding member of Círculo de Tipógrafos in Mexico. She participated in the Circulo de Tipografos project that led to the Balduina typeface in 2010, which was inspired by the book covers and typography of the wandering Dutchman Boudewijn Ietswaart.
Nadia is presently based in Dubai, UAE. Behance link. [Google]
At University of Sharjah, Dubai-based Nadia Namvar designed the aluminum foil font Recycled (2018). [Google]
[The Dubai font]
Natasha Michael Cherriath
During her studies, Dubai-based Natasha Michael Cherriath created an experimental suitcase-inspired typeface (2015). [Google]
Dubai-based designer of the straight-edged stick figure hipster typeface Rehash (2015). [Google]
Art director and educator in Dubai. Creator of the sans typeface Carioli (2014). [Google]
No More Faith Fonts
Graduate of the London College of Communication who works in Paris, where he set up No More Faith Fonts. He is presently based in Dubai. His list of typefaces:
Dubai-based designer of the decorative Latin / Arabic typeface Alphabeast (2013). [Google]
Brazilian designer and art director who is based in Dubai. Creator of Brasil 2014 (2014), the original typeface developed by Nike for the Brazilian National Football Team in 2014. [Google]
New York and Dubai-based creator of the 3d display face Aurec and the geometric outline face Hinge (2010).
Cargo Collective link. [Google]
Dubai-based designer of a modular Arabic typeface (2015). [Google]
Dubai-based designer of Twig Dispay Font (2015). [Google]
Shahad Al Suwaidi
Dubai-based designer of the fun logotype promotional poster Feria (2014). [Google]
Studio Aurora (was: Platform Design)
British designer based in Dubai and/or London, whose company is called Studio Aurora (was: Design by Platform, or: Platform Design). His typefaces:
- In 2018: the stylish display typeface Ceylon, the ultra-condensed typeface Burokku (free trial) and Sukima Stencil.
- In 2019: Equinox (sans and serif: a caps only fashion mag typeface), La Rosa (a fashionable mini-serifed typeface), Everglade (sans), Palm Beach (a delicate all caps sans), Ranahan (a tall all caps sans), Bliss Bucket (octagonal caps), Enzyme (a monoline sans), Quebec (a Peignotian sans).
- In 2020: Nightfall (a fashion mag display type), Eclipse (a tall intestinal serif), Felix (a condensed display serif), Lexington (a great art deco typeface), Musque (a fashion mag serif), Leilani (a display serif), Kassan, Sunscreen (a soft serif), Adagio, Skylight, Gyoza (a fashion mag typeface), Belize, the Americana series [Wichita (a slab serif), Sedona (stencil), Dinetah, Prescott (script), Cedar Park, Laredo, and Quaker], Acapulco (a great Peignotian sans), Legion (a wedge serif), Ekland (a display sans), Aurora Grotesk, Quavo (a fat finger font), Artemis (a flared typeface), Kangri (a stylish stencil serif typeface), Oakland (a stylish all caps display typeface), Rothko (art deco inspired), Fjord Stamp (a soft bold serif), Seminyak, and the handwriting series [Jolly, Quavo, Sanshand, Kurafuto, Aurora Script].
- In 2021: Tankobon (a flared deco typeface), Laredo Rounded (octagonal).
The Dubai font
The Dubai government unveiled a new free typeface called "Dubai font" on April 30, 2017. It was developed by Microsoft for the city of Dubai with both Latin and Arabic components. The new font is available in 23 languages and was designed by Nadine Chahine (Monotype). Nadine Chahine gave a passionate and courageous speech at Typecon 2016 warning about the dangers of Donald Trump, yet sees nothing wrong about supporting a government that violates the most basic human rights. The font has received a lukewarm response from the typographic community. [Google]
During her studies at the American University in Dubai, Tiffany Rebello created a heavy octagonal typeface (2014). [Google]
Dubai, UAE-based designer of the triangulated typeface Abstract (2015) for Latin and Arabic. [Google]
Graphic designer in Dubai, who created Square (2017). [Google]